The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 13, 2001, 09:39 PM   #1
jjmorgan64

Winchester primers?

The Large pistol say they are for standard or magnum loads,

Are these just standard primers, are they magnum or are they in between?

my vaquero 45 seems to like them a lot, and I was just curious as to what i was using?

thank you all
Old December 13, 2001, 10:17 PM   #2
tonyz

About all I use are the WSP and WLP primers, when I first bought the WLP primers I was wondering about the same thing. I use the Large pistol primers for my 45 acp reloads and they work great.
Could someone shed some light!????
Tony
Old December 14, 2001, 12:24 AM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

I disremember when Winchester started making their primers for both Standard and Magnum cartridges, instead of one for each.

I never noticed any signs of increase pressure in my '06. Then, about a couple of years ago, I ran across a new color of carton, and it just said Standard. I've not noticed any difference in point of impact.

I've never asked the Winchester folks. If I had to guess, I'd say it's not that the flash is stronger so much as it maybe lasts a tad longer in the "Standard or Magnum" primers. That wouldn't raise the pressure in a standard cartridge, but could give better ignition in the magnums.

Again, just guessing.

Art
Old December 14, 2001, 12:33 AM   #4
Jim Watson

Winchester primers are made to ignite Ball powder. Ball powder has heavier coatings of deterrents than most flake or tubular powder, so they make a more energetic primer to handle it. Which makes it hot enough for magnum loads.
Old December 14, 2001, 01:55 AM   #5
KP95DAO

Remember folks, what primer ignites 454 Casull rounds. Small rifle primers. Not because it is "hotter" than small pistol primers; but, because the cup is stronger.

I use WSP in my dual cup priming of 44 mag rounds and have no problems getting small shot to shot velocity variations.

I recently ran a test with my dual cup with a variety of primers:

these are averages of five rounds:

WSP- 1425 fps
CCI 550 (small pistol mag)- 1450 fps
CCI400 (small rifle)- 1430 fps

The control was WLP- 1375 fps

That's right the WLP was the slowest. I figure it was because the primer had enough force to move the bullet and therefore increase the volume the powder had to burn in at first.

That's one reason, if you are serious about this stuff, you need a cronograph. These loads were fired in an eight inch Super Blackhawk. No, that is not a misprint. It is a 10&1/2 SBH that has had its bbl cut to 8" and fitted with a Dan Wesson VH shroud.
I didn't want another DW (had two and too many problems) but I did like the bbl set up of the DWs so I did the next best thing. Over 8000 rounds and still going strong.
Old December 14, 2001, 04:41 AM   #6
Bill Adair

I've used Winchester primers for years, and never noticed any problems, until I started playing around with hot H110 loads in my 45 Colt Blackhawk.

WLP primers gave very poor results with large velocity variations, so I switched to CCI 350 Magnum large pistol primers, and saw a startling increase in velocity, and a reduction in extreme spreads!

Apparently, the WLP primers were just not hot enough for that slow powder? The following were velocity measurements of two five shot strings of each primer type.

WLP string #1 = 1104.4 fps
WLP string #2 = 1184.0 fps

CCI 350 string #1 = 1351.0 fps
CCI 350 string #2 = 1356.6 fps

All other components were identical, though the two primer types were fired on different days.

I still us Winchester primers in many of my reloads, but not for the slower powders.

Bill
Old December 14, 2001, 06:57 AM   #7
WESHOOT2

"......IN YOUR GUN......"

I use CCI and Federal primers for large pistol (Magnum and non-Magnum) and CCI, Federal, Remington, and Winchester for both kinds of small pistol.

I have a chronograph.
Old December 15, 2001, 03:37 PM   #8
Redneck2

Now that's REAL interesting...

I've been using heavy loads for the 45LC and using WLP primers. I noticed that some rounds were "stouter" than others. I've had trouble with the powder measure and assumed that powder variation was the problem.

Maybe it was only part of the problem. I'm using H-110 and W-296.
Old December 15, 2001, 08:02 PM   #9
Bill Adair

Redneck2,

That could be your problem.

Apparently the WLP primers were on the hairy edge of being too cold to fully ignite my powder? I can't think of anything else that quite explains the huge jump in velocity I saw, with the change to magnum primers.

Bill
Old December 16, 2001, 12:02 AM   #10
WESHOOT2

HEAVY 45 Colt

Starline case, Federal or CCI Magnum primer, weighed (or REALLY ACCURATE powder measure) charges, Redding Profile Crimp die, W296.

MmmmmMMMmmmGood.

ps don't try this in your POS; big strong guns ONLY
Old December 17, 2001, 12:35 PM   #11
Ben Shepherd

Guys, this is out of winchesters 1980 powder booklet.

MUST use magnum primers with WW296 powder for proper ignition. Use loads EXACTLY as swown. DO NOT reduce loads, as dangerous pressures may result.

Moral of the story: 296 likes no free space in the case, and requires a hot primer to burn right.

NRA certified rifle, pistol and shotgun instructor.
Hunter education instructor