The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 12, 2001, 07:44 PM   #1
ATTICUS

Kudos to Midway

I ordered a tumbler package from Midway last Friday night. I was told that they were currently out of stock, but hoped to ship to me this week. I got it Tuesday! Four days, including the weekend! Everything was as promised, and carefully packed. It's nice to deal with people who care about customers, and execute their duties so well.
Old December 12, 2001, 08:19 PM   #2

Midway has bent over backwards for me several times. I have told this story before. I was going elk hunting in Arizona a couple years ago. I had what I thought was plenty of ammo loaded for my .444 Marlin. Well, I had some sight problems and ended up not having as much as I would have liked so I ordered four boxes of .44 300 grain Speer bullets from Midway. The package promtly arrived only it contained .45 300 grain bullets. I called and explained the problem, my back was to the wall and time was getting very short. The woman on the phone knew I was in a bind. She told me that those bullets would go out today and she would personally see to it right then. THE NEXT DAY a package arrived with two boxes of bullets sent overnight all at their expense. My initial order of four boxes came several days later. She saved my hunt. I got six boxes of bullets free plus free shipping costs on all of it. That is service so far beyond the call of duty that it isn't even funny. And some clown wants me to boycott them because they now no longer include shipping in the price. HA
I defended them on one of these witch hunt threads when they first came out with seperate shipping charges. Larry Potterfield himself sent me an E-Mail thanking me. They have a customer for life with me. I spend about $200 a month with them. An order goes out almost every payday from me.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.

Last edited by 444; December 13, 2001 at 01:15 AM.
Old December 12, 2001, 11:12 PM   #3
bullet44

"Larry Potter himself sent me an E-Mail thanking me."

I will send you an email for $200.

I did order from them no more,small order
cost and higher prices I can buy cheaper
other places.
Old December 13, 2001, 12:50 AM   #4

Remember the clowns I spoke of ?
Old December 13, 2001, 09:24 AM   #5
bullet44

"Remember the clowns I spoke of "

Free country man, spend as you wish,good to
keep the economy going again I wont buy from them.
Old December 13, 2001, 12:08 PM   #6

I agree, there are plenty of places to spend your money. But I couldn't resist doing a little chain pulling.
Old December 13, 2001, 12:33 PM   #7
Sisco

I still use Midway. The small order fee bothers me more than paying shipping, haven't found a supplier that doesn't charge for S&H.
Midway has what I need and it gets to me in two working days, three at most.
Old December 13, 2001, 07:36 PM   #8
ATTICUS

The total price for a tumbler (including shipping) from Midway was $3 higher than from Berry's Mfg., but Midway is offering a package that includes media, a bucket, a bowl, polish, and an extra clear lid, for an additional $17. A much better deal.

EVERYONE charges for shipping, some companies simply lump it into the selling price.
Berry's tumbler is $4 more than Midway's, so there is not really much of a difference.
Old December 13, 2001, 08:11 PM   #9
Steve Smith

Here I go again...

If you just had a C&R license, you'd find that even with the S&H, Midway still beats almost every price out there...I'm very happy with the prices I get from them.

444, please tell me you have a C&R.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old December 14, 2001, 11:04 AM   #10
Charmedlyfe

Yeah, and S&W's are real cheap right now......

The 'small order fee' is pure profit, and immoral. It penalizes those who either don't NEED to place a large order, or who can't AFFORD to. Remember, you still pay the shipping on a small order, so WHY the extra charge over and above? Oh, and the guys placing the small orders are also usually the guys paying full retail (not the reduced dealer) prices. They get bit TWICE.

Let's see.....S&W screws people, and you get a BIG response. Midway screws people, and you guys 'overlook' it because he used to be such a good guy. Geeeze, you guys are double-standard FOS.:barf:
Old December 14, 2001, 11:55 AM   #11
Steve Smith

I don't see where Midway is screwing anyone. You just have to take advantage of the situation. Get dealer pricing, and don't make small orders. If you want one little thing, you were obviously getting by without it in the past, so just write it down on your list and wait 'till you're over the small order limit. If you can't do that, then buy somewhere else. There is no screwing, because you HAVE A CHOICE.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old December 14, 2001, 12:52 PM   #12

Steve, no I don't have a C&R. I am not rich or even very well off but I am not all that worried about price. So someone else has this item a dollar cheaper and a third company has something else $2.00 cheaper. I like convienece. I get the catalog, I order. They provide great customer service. That is all I want and that is what I am getting.

I knew when I read the title to this thread that this would start another witch hunt thread about the shipping charges. It is like Pavlov's dog. The guy comes on here and wants to share with us how happy he is with the deal he got. Oh, we can't have that. Let me try to knock him down a few notches by giving him MY opinion of Midway. Don't you ever get tired of this, more important to me is, don't you think everybody else gets tired of this. This is now very old news. We have heard your take on it time after time after time after time, why not discover something new in life and tell us about that instead.

This horse has been beaten to death, it was beaten to a bare skeleton, it has been beaten until the bones have turned to dust. It has been flogged. It has been whipped, it has been blugeoned, it has been hammered into the ground. Everyone likes to get their chance at the whip but I have a hard time believing that everyone on planet earth hasn't weighed in on this before now. It is old news. Let's move on.

Last edited by 444; December 14, 2001 at 03:09 PM.
Old December 14, 2001, 01:10 PM   #13
garrettwc

I have never ordered from Midway, but I work at the distribution center for a large entertainment media company so I can speak from some experience.

We pay the order pickers the same $$ per hour to pick a $500 order as we do to pick a $5 order. On a large order you can amortize the cost out. Not so on a small one. If I pay somebody $8 labor to pick a $5 part then I have already lost $3 before it even goes out the door.

Is the small order fee profit? Or course it is! They are in business to make a profit.

As long as I live, I will never understand where the belief comes from that you shoud expect top notch service and not have to pay for it

And by the way, every catalog place charges a small order fee. The rest of them hide it in the prices. At least Midway is honest enough to be up front about it.
Old December 14, 2001, 04:22 PM   #14
grunewaj

444 is right. Midway bashing is a tired and boring game. If the Midway's price is too high (or the cost of buying is too high), buy somewhere else. You can tell us what a great deal you got there, but I don't see any reason to bash Midway unless you felt they treated you unfairly.

I can't resist noting, though, that right after the policy change, a lot of people were comparing them to MidSouth and saying how great MidSouth was. I had a few things to buy, so I thought I'd give them a shot. Well, I didn't have enough to get past their minimum purchase surcharge so I had to order a bunch more stuff. They were no different than Midway! They both gave good service so I won't knock either of them, but I have to wonder about those who were saying stuff like, "I'll never buy at Midway again, MidSouth will get all my business."

Midway has probably the best web site for guns and reloading and I like that. I don't buy exclusively from Midway, I buy where I get the best price product and service.

I feel better now.
The government consists of a gang of men exactly like you and me. They have, taking one with another, no special talent for the business of government; they have only a talent for getting and holding office. Their principal device to that end is to search out groups who pant and pine for something they can't get and to promise to give it to them. Nine times out of ten, that promise is worth nothing. The tenth time is made good by looting A to satisfy B. In other words, government is a broker in pillage, and every election is sort of an advance auction sale of stolen goods.

-- H. L. Mencken

Last edited by grunewaj; December 15, 2001 at 12:45 PM.
Old December 14, 2001, 04:38 PM   #15

Speaking of this, I see it is Friday. Time for me to head over to www.midwayusa.com and get ripped off again.

.30 Carbine Brass
.338 Win Mag Dies
124 grain 9mm hardball bullets
New hand priming tool

It goes on and on.
Old December 14, 2001, 04:58 PM   #16
nedfig

I have never purchased anything from Midway, but plan to get the tumbler package soon. At first I was upset with Midway and said I would never order from them for the small order fee reason. Lock Stock and Barrels prices are usually cheaper and I bought something from them. The guy on the phone was so rude and impatient, that I almost canceled the order before I finished it. When I was done with the order, I asked what the grand total was, and he said, "Sir, I have no idea." Pretty bad there. I think in the future, I will pay the measely 4 bucks and get the good service I've heard Midway has.

I too look forward to being ripped off by Midway in the future
Old December 14, 2001, 06:08 PM   #17
Clint Tickler

I've bought probably thousands of dollars worth of stuff from Midway over the last several years and was always happy with their fast service and freindly helpful staff. I will admit I was put off by their small order charge but Walter99 kinda helped me see it a little diferently. I agree with others about some companies just hiding their costs elswhere. Hey, everybody needs to make a buck and it's a pretty competitive market out there that's going after ours. I guess it comes down to shopping with who you think is treating you good and watching for the specials.
Old December 14, 2001, 09:58 PM   #18

Man.
I went overboard this month on Midway. Just finished with bi-monthly order. But, we got a couple paid holidays this month......................... I could spend everything I make there and it would take me a year before I had everything I think I need out of the catalog.
Old December 15, 2001, 12:54 AM   #19
Archie

Midway has always been good to me, too.

Like it or not, companies either have to make a profit or fold.

Midway has lots of stuff I need and want. They ship it fast and they don't even hold my checks anymore.

I also order from Dillon and Sinclair, for some items.

The only place I've ever thought I was abused was some big supply place. I ordered about $250 of stuff and sent a check, telling them to not ship anything until the check cleared.
They sent the check back telling me they don't accept checks. Too important for me.

444, good to hear about your tumbler. The bullet shipment story is pretty reassuring too.

Good groups to all and to all a good night.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old December 15, 2001, 01:42 AM   #20
swampgator

WaltherP99man

Quote:
If I pay somebody $8 labor to pick a $5 part then I have already lost $3 before it even goes out the door.
Only if it takes said employee an hour to pick the part. If he can pull more than two parts an hour you are making money.

Everyone: Midway is a company in business for one reason only, to make money. They, and almost all shooting related companies will have a "we are shooters serving other shooters" line. But the bottom line is that if they don't make a profit, they go under. And if it takes charging a small order fee to stay afloat, so be it. Brownell's charges a small fee for orders under a set amount, and I've never heard of anyone ever badmouthing Brownell's. And I personally think Brownell's completely over estimates shipping. Ever weigh a Videcki trigger? No where near the 1/2 wt Brownell's charges for shipping. Granted most of this is the package it's shipped in, but when you buy it together with other parts, say, a MSH retaining pin they tack on another 1/2 lb. Do most complain. No, they just deal with it and drive on.

There was a thread on 1911 forum and someone made the comment don't leave a Midway tumbler on overnight as they catch fire. Well yes, they did have a problem with the motors on some of them. Know what I paid shipping to them for replacement of motor and got $20 gift certificate, shipping was less than $5. They paid shipping back and IIRC through in another gift cert.

(turning on a rant)
But it could be that shooters and firearms enthusists can be the biggest bunch of whiners I've ever met. Company A has it for X price but company B is cheaper, then quit complaining and buy from company B. I've have never seen anyone completely 100% satisfied. The minute a company raises prices or makes a business change the attitude of many is "I'm not buying from them again." Now the S&W agreement is one thing. Midway deciding to start charging shipping is another.

Almost weekly someone posts a "Did I pay too much" thread. Well do you enjoy your purchase, does it make you happy. Did the price seem too unreasonable prior to having a committee of (how many members?) 10,000 voice an opinion on your purchase.
The bottom line is if you felt you got your monies worth from the purchase it was a good deal, if you feel you got taken, well you should have shopped around more.

Flame away if you must, but if you don't want to deal with a company it's a personal decision. If someone has had good luck with a company and wants to post a positive comment don't ruin it by whining about a perceived wrong. If the company actually put the screws to you and you have valid gripe post it. But please leave the nitpicky whiny crap at the door otherwise we wouldn't be able to tell the difference between you and a democrat.
Old December 15, 2001, 09:13 AM   #21
jtduncan

Few of us like paying those small order fees.

But they have all of the reloading equipment, tools, and once-fired brass in 357 sig I need.

I like Graf and Wiedners as well but with shipping, their pricing and availability do match Midway's still.

But you can order bullets through Graf and they don't charge for shipping in the lower 48. So Graf for bullets.

We had a good couple of years ordering with prepaid shipping.
Old December 15, 2001, 11:00 AM   #22
garrettwc

Walther P99man
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I pay somebody $8 labor to pick a $5 part then I have already lost $3 before it even goes out the door.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
swampgator
Quote:
Only if it takes said employee an hour to pick the part. If he can pull more than two parts an hour you are making money.
True. I was oversimplifying to make the point.

Regards your rant, I agree. The guys that say "I won't go to Joe's Guns downtown, Super Discount Sports in the mall beats his prices" are the same ones complaining when Joe's goes under because there is no one in town that can fix the scope mount on his rifle or do that small special order for him/her.

The folks at Midway started the NRA Roundup program in case anyone's forgot. That and the posts about their customer service speak volumes to me.

It's kind of like going out to a nice restaurant and sitting in the best waitress' section. Will it cost me more than taking the family to the local burger barn? Yeah, but personally, I kinda like the extra attention.

Thus ends my follow up rant.
Old December 15, 2001, 12:39 PM   #23
Tol

I am a new guy to this board, and this hobby. So consider the source if I say anything inflamatory with my two cents.

I am a notorious cheapskate. I hate going out to eat as I reap nothing but a full stomach and I could have gotten that at home. But I don't mind spending money on things that I continue to use and benefit from.

I just placed my first order to Midway USA last night. I chose to buy from them for a couple of reason.

1: they already gave me something for free. I have managed to dog-ear three months worth of their catalogs while making the decision to get into reloading. That is probably 45+ min/day flipping pages on that damn thing. Compared to a movie... I got some pretty cheap daydreaming. .75 hrs x 90 days x $0 = a wee bit obsessive

2: Their prices are good. Even after shipping (which I found quite fair) Midway beat almost everyone I had seen. Coincidentally, I went onto the website and found two of the things I was buying were on sale, thus cheaper than the catalog price (already cheaper than elsewhere). That alone payed for the shipping. (S&H on what should be a pretty beefy box was $7.07)

3: They have everything I need in one place and buying things onine was quite straightforward, unlike some other online buying I have attempted to do. I bought this at 3 am. There was no waiting until Monday morning. Sure, it won't ship until Mon, but I never have a chance to call during business hours.

4: They are reputed to have great customer service and good equipment. This shows to a certain extent in how straightforward they seem to be about their fees.

These things are all worth money to me. It chaps me to hear people complain about direct costs and ignore long-term time/money savings like quick shipping, smart and motivated customer service people, replacements for faulty equipment, good product information allowing you to make an informed purchase, shipping that is cheaper than state tax, etc.

A short story:
I called a place (long distance) that I found online that had obscenely cheap holsters. The guy answered like I had impregnated his daughter. I asked him what shipping fees would be on three holsters (about $200). He said he was on the phone, nothing more. I offered him my number so he could call me back. His response "No, just call me back....click". I'll be damned if he's getting my business no matter how cheap his prices are. I'll pay more somewhere else. If he's like that when I want to give him money, imagine what he'd be like if I had a problem.

Enough, point made.
Just consider what you are actually paying for. Very few purchases that you'll make in your life are truly self sufficient. And speaking with kind, knowledgable people is a lot easier. No company can provide these things free.

again, JMHO
Old December 15, 2001, 01:02 PM   #24
swampgator

WaltherP99man

About the rant. I guess the point is that there are tons of places to do business with, so if you don't like one go somewhere else but don't COMPLAIN about it.
Old December 15, 2001, 07:52 PM   #25
slickpuppy

Fortunately I never have had to deal with the small order charge since the change a few months ago. I guess that tells you something about my orders from them.

I have to give Midway credit for having one of the best websites of all the retailers for reloading supplies. As for shooting suppliers' websites, they are comparable to Brownells - although Brownells needs to get a grip on their inventory control so website users can know immediately if an item is in stock.

I really despise going to these other websites for shooting supplies. They need to learn from that Potterfield guy and those Iowa Brownell people on how to make their websites more user friendly.

Bottom line is that these two companies "get it" as far as customer service is concerned.

My family and I have dealt with these companies for many years - since they first became businesses - and I really am amazed at how they have adapted to our changing times. I am impressed with their business model.

I will continue to do business with them. Trolls be damned!