The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 6, 2001, 06:29 PM   #1
Drizzt

Oklahomans urged to get free gun locks

Oklahomans urged to get free gun locks

2001-12-04
By Diane Plumberg Clay

The Oklahoman

The Sept. 11 terrorist attacks and rain have stranded thousands of free gun locks at IGA Superthrift grocery stores throughout Oklahoma.
Store managers want Oklahomans to get them.

The locks are part of a nationwide program to make homes with guns safer. Lt. Gov. Mary Fallin and other officials planned to give away 60,000 gun locks this year in Oklahoma, but unforeseen events made the giveaway difficult.

The original giveaway for Project HomeSafe was scheduled Sept. 15 before the University of Oklahoma-University of Tulsa football game in Norman, but was rescheduled -- as was the game -- because of the attacks.

About 1,600 of the 5,000 locks were given away before the University of Oklahoma-Oklahoma State University football game Nov. 24.

IGA stores also tried again after the attacks, but it rained on the day of the second giveaway, reducing the number of people visiting stores.

IGA managers said the locks are free and available. Residents can ask for the locks at any IGA Superthrift store in Oklahoma. The chain also plans to give away locks during a children's festival at State Fair Park in late spring.

http://www.newsok.com/cgi-bin/show_article?ID=792593
"That a free citizen should have to go before a committee, hat in hand, and pray for permission to bear arms - fantastic! Arm your daughter, sir, and pay no attention to petty bureaucrats." Robert Heinlein - Red Planet
Old December 7, 2001, 12:22 AM   #2
westex

If I wanted a locked gun I'd buy a baseball bat-it's got better range.
Old December 7, 2001, 01:42 AM   #3
Redlg155

Hmmm..if they are the cable lock kind that you get with Mossburg Shotguns and Glocks, send me a couple dozen. They make great bicycle locks!

Good Shooting
RED
Old December 7, 2001, 01:43 AM   #4
MAD DOG

When they start giving out free guns to go with the locks, I am SO there...

Mad Dog
Old December 7, 2001, 06:10 AM   #5
BogBabe

QUOTE:
The locks are part of a nationwide program to make homes with guns safer . . . . for criminals

When guns are kept for purposes of self-defense, they must be kept accessible and in "ready-to-use" condition. An unloaded, locked gun is worthless against an intruder.

Should we also keep our fire extinguishers empty and locked away, so that they can't "go off" accidentally?
are free because we cannot be
otherwise, ever, no matter what. We
chained by anyone without our
consent." --Greg Swann, Let 'em eat steak
Old December 7, 2001, 09:42 AM   #6
Azrael256

Redlg155, they do make great bike locks, but don't give one to a kid. I almost got suspended in the 8th grade for using a Mossberg lock on my bike!
Old December 7, 2001, 09:48 AM   #7
SkySlash

The local PD gives away free gun locks. I'm going to get by there someday and pick up a few of them. I figure I can find some good uses for them other than making my gun useless.

Why pay $5.00 for a Master Lock at Wal-Mart when I can get one at the PD for free?

-SS
There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power government has is the power to crack down on criminals. When there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.
Old December 7, 2001, 11:22 AM   #8
BogBabe

Someone pointed out somewhere that the gun locks are useful for securing your gun in the interior of your car should you need to leave it there -- just run the cable thru the gun and around a seat support or something.

I now keep mine in the car, for just that purpose.
otherwise, ever, no matter what. We
chained by anyone without our
consent." --Greg Swann, Let 'em eat steak