The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 29, 2001, 01:29 PM   #1
Hawkman

Marlin 336 light strikes

Just sighted in my .35 remington with new williams peep sight. On three occasions when I sloooowwwwwllllly squeezed the trigger I got a light primer strike.

Similar to the way a smith and wesson revolver that has the strain screw backed off will misfire when the trigger is squeezed slowly from single action.

I am not familiar with Marlin innards - anything I can check/adjust?

Thanks!
Old November 30, 2001, 10:29 AM   #2
LIProgun

I had a similar problem with a Marlin 336CS in .35 Rem. I sent the gun back to Marlin and they repaired the problem. I am not sure exactly what they did, but believe it has something to do with the extractor and its fit to the bolt.

I also had one lot of Winchester Power Point ammo dating back to the mid-1980s that had several misfires despite repeated primer strikes, even after Marlin made the repair. I suspect these had bad primers.

- Leonidas of Sparta, 480 B.C.
Old November 30, 2001, 01:22 PM   #3
Hawkman

Thanks for the response. I will give it a good cleaning and take a look around while it is apart and see if I see anything obvious.

Pete
Old November 30, 2001, 10:10 PM   #4
James K
Staff

Assuming all else is OK, check the headspace and the ammo brand. The .35 Remington has a very small shoulder and is notorious for light striker hits since the cartridge is not well supported. (The firing pin drives the case forward rather than denting the primer.) Slight dimensional differences in ammo can cause or correct the problem.

I doubt the rate at which the trigger is pulled has anything to do with it unless the trigger is catching on the hammer half cock as the hammer is going forward.

Jim