The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 17, 2001, 11:05 AM   #1
Snowdog

Makarov replacement barrel-.380acp or 9x18?

My Baikal IJ-70 Russian Makarov wants one of those nice FAC stainless barrels.
I am wondering if I should keep the current 9x18 chambering or switch over to the more readily available 9x17 (.380acp) round.

The only 5 defensive rounds I know of for the 9x18 are put out by:
*Cor-bon*
*Mag-Safe"
*Glaser*
*Hornady XTP*
*CCI Gold Dot*

That isn't a shabby line-up, but compared to all that is offered for the .380acp, it seems as such.

I am leaning towards another 9x18 barrel, but maybe someone here can point out something I overlooked.

The pistol will be used for defensive purposes. It is the gun I currently carry around when I have heavy house or farm work to do.

Also-
What is the velocity/energy of Wolf's 109gr FMJ? Anyone know?

Thanks

Brevity Is The Soul of Wit.

-Shakespeare-
Old November 17, 2001, 12:48 PM   #2
railroader

Just curious but why do you want to change the barrel? Do you just like the look of the stainless or is it because your barrel isn't accurate? I have a russian mak also. It it is a .380. The barrel in it was kinda overthroated so I would get bulges on my cases. I reload so I didn't want to take chances so I got another .380 barrel from navy arms http://navyarmsmsd.com/html/accessories.html. If your interested they have norinco barrels. They are blued and crome lined for $30. Anyway if you plan on changing the barrel it can be some work. With alot of maks you will need to buy a barrel press also to get the old barrel out and the new barrel in. I was able to change mine by pounding it out with a piece of hardwood so I didn't need the press. Lastly there are some very good deals on 9x18 ammo out there. You will find that if you go into your local gun store that .380 ammo can be kinda high in price and you won't find it on sale very often like you will 9mm, .40cal and .45. Just my thoughts. Mark
Old November 17, 2001, 02:35 PM   #3
Redlg155

I would personally stick with the 9x18. One ammo make that you didn't mention was Barnaul. They make a JHP as well as a FMJ version in 9x18. The availability and price of the 9x18 makes it an attractive alternative to the .380. I ordered my 9x18 ammo and it cost me $6.50 a box total shipped to my front doorstep.

A good number of domestic ammo makers have picked up the 9x18 caliber. Russian ammo is plentiful as well. I would think that this points to a pretty good future for the 9x18.

I really like my Bulgie just as it is.

Good Shooting
Red
Old November 17, 2001, 10:55 PM   #4
JohnKSa
Staff

Most American ammo makers load the 9x18 so that it performs identically to their .380 ammo.

The 9x18, when loaded to its full potential is about a half step between the 9x17 (.380) and the 9x19 (9mm Luger).

So, if you intend to shoot mostly ammo from American makers, go for the .380. If you want to shop around for ammo that takes full advantage of the 9x18s potential you can stick with that caliber.

railroader,

Your .380 Russian Mak is probably a 9x18 Russian Mak. I've heard that in at least some of those guns they just changed the markings.

That would account for the oversize chamber--and I'll bet the gun is more accurate with the .380 barrel too.
Old November 17, 2001, 11:45 PM   #5

I would certainly stick to the 9x18. The performance of the 9x18 is a heck of a lot closer to a .380 than a 9mm Luger, but there is some performance to be gained. You named five different manufacturers of defensive ammo for the Mak, how many do you need ? If that was bothering me, I would simply reload (which I do). I have a Mak barrel press that I would probably be willing to rent out for the cost of round trip shipping.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old November 18, 2001, 02:53 AM   #6
Destructo6

My EG Makarov didn't like the Barnul JHP at all. The seemed to be of widely varying diameters. Some cartridges would get stuck in the magazines and others would go in nicely. I wasn't impressed.

Fiocchi makes a reliable JHP in 9x18 and it's inexpensive enough to shoot regularly.
Old November 18, 2001, 03:54 PM   #7
7th Fleet

I own both .380 and 9mm Maks and I most definitely would not go with the .380 barrel, keep the 9mm Mak. I can buy 9mm Mak ammo by the 1000 round case, for less than 100 bucks.

7th
Old November 18, 2001, 04:10 PM   #8
ut83

Muzzle energy of the wolf 109 gr fmj @ 1050 fps (advertised speed) is 266 ft lbs of energy. The most power I have seen
in a mak...too bad it isnt a hollow point... Shoot well
Old November 20, 2001, 12:35 AM   #9
JohnKSa
Staff

.380--95 Grains @ 1000 fps for 211 ft/lbs
9x19--115 Grains @ 1150 fps for 338 ft/lbs

If there were a cartridge exactly halfway between .380 and 9x19 would be:

105 grains @ 1075 fps for 270 ft/lbs

...And, from the previous post...

9x18--109 Grains @ 1050 fps for 267 ft/lbs

There's less than 4% difference between the 9x18 and whatever's EXACTLY halfway between the .380 and 9x19 Luger--that's close enough for me.

American shooters have been duped into thinking that the 9x18 is a clone of the .380 by the American ammo makers who load the cartridge down to .380 specs.
Old November 20, 2001, 12:19 PM   #10
Thirties

barrel press questions: Makarov

I've neither used nor seen a barrel press. Does the use of one require a vise in addition?

When using a barrel press to change barrels on a Makarov, does one still need to freeze, heat, and/or pound with a hammer? Or does the barrel press simply push out/in the old/new barrels with screwing?

Can someone here describe their use?

Thanks.
Old November 21, 2001, 01:08 PM   #11
Gewehrmutter

Hope these links will help:

http://www.makarov.com/

http://www.goldenloki.com/
Old November 22, 2001, 03:30 PM   #12
Thirties

I've read the Makarov.com info on barrel changing. What I'm asking is not mentioned in there. The other link has no info on the subject.

I'm really asking if someone familiar with the process would enlighten me a little.
Old August 5, 2010, 07:00 AM   #13
Makarovnik

.380 ACP barrel for makarov

Hi All,

I have a russian Makarov for self defense, but here (Hungary) there isn't another ammo aviable in this caliber (9x18Makarov) than FMJ.

I woud like to buy a .380 ACP barrel but the american online stores do not ship gun part overseas. :-(

Have anybody .380 ACP Makarov barrel for sale ?

thx
Old August 5, 2010, 07:14 AM   #14
Doyle

Silver Bear also makes (or at least used to make) a 95grn JHP that was excellent. I haven't seen it available new for a couple of years but I see them at gun shows pretty frequently. I've still got about 5 boxes of it stashed away.
Old August 5, 2010, 01:02 PM   #15
chupps

Buffalo Bore recently came out with a 9x18 cartridge:

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php...t_detail&p=220
Old August 5, 2010, 02:29 PM   #16
pelo801

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...HP&groupid=194
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AMM399-5.html
http://www.brassfetcher.com/var9x18mm.html
9x18 is a great caliber, cheap too. i would keep the mak barrel over "the more readily available" .380 acp. try to find some for SD 380 ammo for less than $12 a box.
Old August 5, 2010, 03:14 PM   #17
denfoote

I have an IJ-70-17A (9mm kurz) Makarov.
It sits in the safe as part of my collection.
It was my first semi auto pistol and the only gun I have had to draw in anger in order to fend off a home invasion.
I thought about converting it, but decided not to since I had several 9X18 caliber Makarovs.

If you are hell bent on doing this you will need both the barrel and press, both I fear are unavailable. Federal Arms, the press and barrel maker is long defunct as is Makarov.COM, the distributor.

The golden age of surplus Makarovs ended several years ago.
The only country that still might be making the gun is possibly China and we have not been able to get them imported for over a decade. Same with Russia. The supply of East German and Bulgarian guns has dried up. The last source of Makarovs left was Lithuania and they were forced to publicly destroy all of them as a condition of NATO acceptance.
It was truly as sad day when I saw the pics!!

I understand that Biakal no longer makes the Makarov PM, but it would not matter anyway because Bilbo Klintoon "negotiated" a "trade agreement" wherein the Russian Federation "agreed" to not import any more handguns into the US back in about '96. :barf:

Sorry to be the barrer of black news!!
Arizona: Flush the Johns!!!
Old August 5, 2010, 03:33 PM   #18
blkmoon
Registration in progress

I would keep the 9x18 barrel. The reasoning is 4 fold- 1: the 9x18 is exactly half way between 380acp and 9x19, 2: if you reload you can load it to almost preform to 9x19, 3: if you reload you can take 9x19 brass and cut it down to run in your mak, and 4: Russian and Chinese surplus ammo is cheap to practice with. I have owned my Mak. since 94' and it has been one of the funnest and cheapest guns to shoot I own! Good Luck!
Old August 6, 2010, 01:23 AM   #19
Makarovnik

.380 ACP barrel for makarov

Of course, I woud like to keep the original 9x18 Makarov barrel, but there is not another 9x18 makarov ammo than the military sulplus FMJ (with "mushroom" steel core) with very high penetration.

I will wear the gun loaded with JHP ammo, in .380 ACP caliber untill I can get JHP 9x18 ammo, but I cannot buy a barrel in .380 ACP caliber; so if anyone have a .380 ACP barrel for russian Makarov for sale, then do not hesitate to write me ! :-)
Old August 6, 2010, 04:06 AM   #20
9x19

I like Maks as well as anybody and have owned a bunch, but denfoote has it right... these days, a 9mm Kahr makes more sense.

The CW9 is not much more than an E.G. Mak, better ammo selection, with less recoil and better ballistics.
Old August 7, 2010, 12:13 AM   #21
obxned

I use Silver Bear 9x18 JHPs in my CZ82. They are cheap. accurate, and seem to perform well, though no one has volunteered to be a terminal ballistics tester.

I'm a proud member of a North Carolina Committee of Safety
Old August 7, 2010, 02:11 AM   #22
ISC

I used to shoot .380 through my 9 mak all the time. It stretches the brass so much it wouldn't be safe to reload but I don't reload that caliber so it didn't bother me. When cheap 9mak JHP ammo was available I stopped doing that.

You can't shoot 9 mak in a .380 barrel though.

The 9 mak is also a marginally also a more powerful round, going to .380 means less ammo flexibility, less power, and more expensive ammo. It doesn't make any sense to have a makarov in any other caliber than 9 mak unless you reload .380.
Old August 7, 2010, 09:10 AM   #23
torpeau

Quote:
I used to shoot .380 through my 9 mak all the time. It stretches the brass so much it wouldn't be safe to reload but I don't reload that caliber so it didn't bother me.
Firing .380 in a gun chambered for 9mm Mak can be done, but is not recommended. It can't be good to have a smaller diameter bullet sent down the barrel.

BTW, the 9mm Mak cartridge is anywhere between 15 and 25% more powerful than a .380 -- depending on what ammo brands you compare.
Old August 9, 2010, 08:09 PM   #24
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Firing .380 in a gun chambered for 9mm Mak can be done, but is not recommended.
Correct, but as long as you're willing to live with reduced accuracy the issue isn't the oversize bore. The problem is that the bullet probably won't be well-centered on the bore and the lip at the front of the chamber can shave off bullet material. Over time that can build up and cause enough of an obstruction to cause an overpressure event.
Old August 9, 2010, 10:31 PM   #25
B.N.Real

Keep the gun as is.

You can easily buy all the 9x18 you want off the internet all day long without feeling you just got robbed.

And the gun was built to use that exact ammo too.