The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 6, 2001, 10:53 PM   #1
Ben

Remington Express 870's hairy finish

I bought a brand spanking new 26" Remington 870 Express today and went home immediately to rub it down with some oil to keep the metal nice and spot-free seeing as it'll probably be in storage for a couple of weeks before I get a chance to try it out... I just couldn't pass up the offer... $205.00 NEW!

Problem is, I noticed it was tearing up the rag I was wiping it down with and leaving little hairs and fabric fibers all over the gun. What's a good fabric or cloth that I can wipe down this rough-as-hell finish with that won't tear up the fabric or leave my gun so darn hairy?

Thanx,
Ben
Old November 6, 2001, 11:11 PM   #2
Benjamin

Denim.
Old November 6, 2001, 11:37 PM   #3
C.R.Sam

Chia gun ?
Old November 7, 2001, 12:22 AM   #4
Coronach

You laugh.

I have the same problem with the phosphate finish on my FAL.

Its not errant fabric, its CAMO, damnit!

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old November 7, 2001, 01:21 AM   #5
Ben

"Cha-cha-cha-chia"

Chia... BOOM!!! No more Chia's

Denim... thanx.
Ben

Last edited by Ben; November 7, 2001 at 01:46 AM.
Old November 7, 2001, 06:38 AM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Pillow ticking works fine, so do the silicone cloths. Good price, any more left at that?

Also, if I ever buy a NEW 870(when teeth are chattering in Hades), I'd strip it down as soon as I got home, and take out all that gummy grease before it turns into grunge. Relube with SLIP 2000 or CLP(Wipe on wipe off), reassemble and go shoot it.
Old November 7, 2001, 02:04 PM   #7
old hawk

ahhhh my faverite 870,black and nasty like my coffee.be sure to THOUROUGHLY clean that black matte crap out of the bore and inner reciever very very well.i found alot of it in mine when i got it last year and had a field days worth of chore getting it all out.use the rem bore cleaner and shake that bottle good to mix its polishing compound up nicely and scrub it well.let us know if you hab probs in the future,i have mine all done up so it rivals the feel of a finely smoothed up and used older 870.heres my site for more info and tips,modifications ,dissasembly etc etc etc on the beasts.
http://www.100megspop3.com/oldvalkyry/870.html
do i hear a new sport called chia skeet being developed now?!
Old November 7, 2001, 05:51 PM   #8
Ben

Believe it or not, $229.00 is the NORMAL price at Galyans in Atlanta... and Remington is offering a $25.00 rebate for new 870's as long as it's sent before Nov 16th (I think). $205 baby The finish really irks me though.

Ben
Old November 8, 2001, 07:14 AM   #9
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Thanks, Ben, a little far away for me, but maybe someone else can benefit.
Old November 8, 2001, 02:58 PM   #10
johnbt

A spray can of Birchwood-Casey Sheath.

It's a whole lot easier than trying to get the rag through each of the little vents in the ventilated rib. Spray, hang barrel or whole gun in tree 'til dry.
Finis.

Now, if you don't take the gun out in the rain it won't matter much what you do to the rib, but it is a rust magnet in many instances.

John
Old November 8, 2001, 03:37 PM   #11
ATTICUS

Hey Ben, do you need a rifled slug barrel for that thing? It is the hairless variety.
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...threadid=88132
Old November 8, 2001, 07:17 PM   #12
Ben

nah, but I appreciate the offer... I don't think a slug would improve my chances of hitting the clays

Ben
Old November 13, 2001, 08:46 PM   #13
Ben

good spray-on oils.

So what are some good spray-on oil options for my shotgun? It's gonna be stored in humid environments for long periods of time... but stored in one of those cheap foam-lined hard plastic cases. I don't want anything thats gonna look nasty or solidify.

I plan on trying the suggested "spray-and-dangle" as previosly mentioned by another poster

Thanx,
Ben
Old November 13, 2001, 10:15 PM   #14
ATTICUS

Breakfree CLP works pretty well.
Old November 14, 2001, 06:20 PM   #15
Rosco Benson

Don't use a rag to wipe down your gun. Instead, buy an old-fashioned shaving brush at the drugstore. Put a few frops of oil in the bristles and brush the gun. The brush gets into the nooks and crannies better than a rag and leaves no lint.

Rosco
Old November 14, 2001, 07:35 PM   #16
Ben

Right about now, I'll give anything a whirl.

Thanx,
Ben

Last edited by Ben; November 15, 2001 at 06:36 PM.