The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 5, 2001, 12:12 AM   #1
Sidetracker

Are there any problems with the new locking safety on the new Remington shotguns?

I have one of the new Remington shotguns with the extended magazine and the locking safety. Has anyone had any problems with this new safety or can anybody see a possible problem with them? I don't have any use for the locking feature an if there is any possiblity of trouble I would rather replace it with an old style safety or one of the large headed variety. Has anyone had trouble with the large headed safetys slipping off safe by accident?
Old November 5, 2001, 05:21 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I've heard reports from owners that the bighead safety can be knocked off safe easily, but no first hand info. I do fine with the standard one. So do most folks.

As for that keyed atrocity, some folks, including me, have manipulated them to safe while handling the weapon.
Old November 5, 2001, 06:55 AM   #3
old hawk

i have something on this.take the shot gun and twist the safty,she WILL lock on you when its twisted.one day i sat here reading and yep i managed to get it locked up 2 times in 5 hours of grabbing at it in a hurry,now last year when our daughter was here by law i had to use that lock,now that shes gone i can leave it unlocked.if you visit my 870 page you can retrofit an older safety no sweat using the older style detent ball and spring.me i just leave the thing unloacked and have the key for it on my keychain.
http://www.100megspop3.com/oldvalkyry/870.html
Old November 5, 2001, 07:40 PM   #4
S.F.S

One of the 2 870's I own have the key lock safety and I have always just kept it unlocked. I did however read on this board one time about how it can be manipulated to safe, I tried for about a half an hour one time trying to manipulate it to the safe position and did not prevail.
I may switch it out sooner or later.
Old November 5, 2001, 09:19 PM   #5
JNewell

I've got a couple of different big-head safeties in service right now. They're easier to off-safe intentionally, but I really can't imagine it happening unintentionally -- at least not under circumstances where the old safety button wouldn't do the same thing. They're not that big! Maybe after a few hundred thousand motions, you'd wear a groove in the part and have to replace it? Short of that, should be OK.
Old November 5, 2001, 10:42 PM   #6
Captain Bligh

I've worked real hard to get mine engaged without the tool. I just can't do it so I doubt I'm going to do it accidentally. Frankly, I'm starting to think this is a bunch of hooey started by people who "heard about it from a friend" and just simply don't like the idea of integral locks and never will.

I can't say I like the idea either but I won't say the lock is defective when it isn't.

RJ
Old November 6, 2001, 02:48 AM   #7
DML

I can't say that it could be done by accident, but I have done it and it wasn't very hard. I just pinched the safety button between my fingers and twisted. The safety has to be on (safe) when you do this.

If there is no problem with the PC safety, why doesn't Remington put it on the Police Magnum? Think about it.