The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 31, 2001, 12:37 PM   #1
Glockster35

How to keep guns from rusting in safe?

I have a small 2 door gun cabinet/safe in my bedroom. Since I am in the military and don't make a butt load of cash I want to protect my investments while they are in the safe.

What is the berst thing to use to control the moisture inside the safe?

Cabelas sells hydrasorbent silica gel packs, and the "golden rod"

I want something I can place in there and forget.

Also, are there any drawbacks from using these products?

I ask this because I have had this safe for 4 months and never thought of this until I pulled out my inherited Ruger 10-22, and found the barrel to be rusted and pitted. I almost cried, my father would kill me if he was alive today.
Old October 31, 2001, 12:41 PM   #2
SDC

One thing that might help is a de-humidifier in the room where you keep your guns, as long as you remember to keep it drained. Silica gel packs up water so quickly that it'll act like it isn't even there after a day or two.
Old October 31, 2001, 01:07 PM   #3
Ledbetter

Some tips I learned from here

No straps or other moisture-holding accessories in the safe.

Goldenrod is best, but may void safe warranty as it requires a hole to be drilled.

Silica packs are what I use. They must be recharged periodically, but it is not much of a hassle. Put in very low oven overnight.

Volatile Corrosion Inhibitor (VCI) chips, or bags work pretty good too, I've heard.

Regards.
Old October 31, 2001, 01:08 PM   #4
Greg L

Instead of buying the gel packs most drugs come shipped with lots of them. Ask a pharmacist if you can have them.

Greg
Old October 31, 2001, 03:09 PM   #5
yankytrash

oil, oil, oil, ....

and then oil, with a little oil to top it all off.

People complain that it attracts dust. Is there dust in your gun cabinet? Would you rather have dust or rust?

Oil, oil, oil, oil.

oil.

Old October 31, 2001, 03:35 PM   #6
MPH

Drill hole on top of safe, then fill safe with good grade oil, Actually, you've some good suggestions from the other more serious members.
Old October 31, 2001, 04:43 PM   #7
Glockster35

Here is my biggest problem, I live in a relatively hot part of California, and my house has a swamp cooler rather than Air conditioning. I guess these cause more moisture in the air.

My gun cabinet is a cheap Homak that I don't mind cutting a hole in, if it is really needed. I value my weapons, not the safe.

Now, my second question is this, my cabinet has two doors on it, and one side is for pistols and the other for rifles. Would I need two golden rods to accomplish my end goal? Or will one suffice?

Actually come to think of it, my Glocks won't rust
Old October 31, 2001, 04:54 PM   #8
K80Geoff

I live on very damp Long Island NY. My safe is in a very damp basement.

I swear by the goldenrod. Best way to keep yur guns from moisture problems. My Safe came with a hole in the top and with instructions on how to make it fireproof using exhaust pipe cement.

I also have one of those cheap Homaks, use it for my pellett guns and some other guns that don't fit in the big safe. It came with a hole for the goldenrod electrical cord. Haven't had a bit of rust since installing the goldenrod.
Old October 31, 2001, 05:23 PM   #9
KSFreeman

Do no buy safes with gypsum and water as fire insulation.
Old November 1, 2001, 12:23 AM   #10
Navy joe

Oil, dessicant, or goldenrod as mentioned, but the most obvious solution is to take them out and shoot and clean often. Guns have feelings too ya know. Lock you in a cheap safe for four months and see how you like it!
I knew one guy that stripped the stocks from his pistols and stored them in an ammo can full of motor oil when gone on deployment. Very effective. Also works for that fabled PVC pipe in ground, may consider ATF(automatic transmission fluid) that is since it contains a nice brew of corrosion inhibitors. Also fun to stick something called ATF in a hole, bury it then **** on the hole Immersion best attempted with real (read: all steel) guns. As for dessicant, keep your eyes peeled in the military, many components come packed with large bags that the supply types usually chuck, I just take them home and bake as per instructions, store til needed in ziploc bag. Have you considered Bianchi Blue Bags as well?
Old November 1, 2001, 12:54 AM   #11
bastiat

Besides the silica gel, another simple idea is just to keep the safe doors open while you're home (if you don't have any children running around, that is). You'll have less air just standing around waiting to condense on your guns.
Old November 1, 2001, 04:54 AM   #12

safes and mosture

I have had a safe in my garage in Fl for ten years with a goldenrod dryer in it. Never had any problem with rust, still using the same rod. And it's right across from the washer and dryer. I'd say go with a goldenrod and you will be OK.
Old November 1, 2001, 08:17 AM   #13
K80Geoff

KS The cement was to plug the hole where the electrical cord goes through, not to insulate the entire safe!
Old November 1, 2001, 09:34 AM   #14
Idaho Mike

It was good to see so many positive experiences with the Goldenrod heater.
Since moving to wet North Idaho from dry Arizona - and putting my gun safe in the basement, because I don't have a garage - I have been wondering how well my oiled firearms will keep in the safe with the Goldenrod. I'm pretty much dependent on it to drive out moisture.
Has anyone had a bad experience with the device? And does it work well inside metal office cabinets that aren't as tight as gun safes?