The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 29, 2001, 10:57 AM   #1
Joe Demko

.380 ACP necked down to .32

I was thinking idly about the various bottleneck cartridges that were developed over the last 10 or 15 years, and it occured to me that I don't remember hearing about anyone trying this one; although I am certain somebody must have. I can't say that I imagine it would be a world-beater. Still, it should be useable in .380ACP-sized pistols and (perhaps) give ballistics in the .32 H&R magnum territory. Thoughts, anyone?
Old October 29, 2001, 11:17 AM   #2
Navy joe

If you're into making wildmouse cartridges why not go all out and neck it down to .25??
Old October 29, 2001, 11:20 AM   #3
revolvergeek

I had wondered about this a bit myself. Seems that you would need a locked breech .380 as a platform for it to get the best ballistics out of it. Seems like a fun project though. Maybe a 60 Gold Dot at 1150-1200 fps? Don at GoldenLoki.com has done some VERY interesting work on a new .32 cartridge for a beefed up Keltec P32 that we can only pray Keltec and some ammunition manufacturer will buy into one day.

I also wondered about necking down a .32 acp to shoot a .25 or .22 cal bullet, kind of like the Soviet PSM 5.45x18mm round. I bought a little 10 round collector pack of the PSM ammo from Wolf and it fits my Keltec mags perfectly! Maybe a .25 cal 35grain XTP or Gold Dot out of a Keltec P32 at 1100fps?

Not really any pratical gains in energy, but it seems like you could have a lot of fun hot-rodding Keltecs with something like that.
Old October 29, 2001, 11:47 AM   #4
C.R.Sam

Kinda gettin into the ballpark of the .30 Mauser, .30 Luger etc.

Cheap way to see if you like the concept of the little one goin fast would be to get ahold of a CZ 52. Shoot it for a while and if still interested, design your own cartridge and build a gun for it.

If it weren't for wildcats, twood be a boring life with few choices today.

Sam
Old October 29, 2001, 12:01 PM   #5
Jody Hudson

I am a HUGE fan of the .22 QuikShok which is three hard pieces pressed together and made into about a .32 grain I think, although I've not seen the weight published, in a .22 bullet. It fragments at 6-8 inches in moist media and the faster it goes the better. I'd LOVE to have that with a .380 cartridge behind it!!!!!!

A little pocket pistol, preferably by Keltec, made to shoot that would be Puuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrfect as a mighty-mouse gun!

Now, since I know nothing about such things, what would be the mechanical issues involved with something like that? And, even better a three piece QuikShok bullet at 42 grains or so, making it a longer bullet for more sectional density and weight!
Old October 29, 2001, 12:37 PM   #6
Joe Demko

I reload, but I know nothing about cartridge development, for example why one shoulder angle might be preferred over another. Still, .357 Sig functions in .40 S&W pistols with only a barrel change. Likewise, .400 CorBon works in .45 ACP with only a barrel change (maybe a spring, too?). So, starting with a Colt Mustang, or other locked breech .380, shouldn't this experiment be relatively easy to try? No entirely new gun seems to be a necessity. Only a set of dies and a barrel.
Old October 29, 2001, 08:13 PM   #7
Archie

Golgo, you are correct as long as...

you don't up the operating pressure.

The mechanical limits of the gun are going to remain the same.

When one necks down a casing the "expansion ratio" drops... which means more barrel length is required to develop the same velocity. On the other hand, the bullet weight is usually reduced, so velocity goes up. These two factors don't cancel out exactly.
I would think a longer barrel would be appropriate.

What ever the pressure levels of the firearm and cases must be observed. .380 ACP cases are only good for so much pressure, no matter what firearm.

My plan (years ago) was to make a .25/.45. A 45 ACP necked down to 25 caliber. Based on a 1911 pistol. I think this would demand an eight to ten inch barrel. Cases would have to be made from either 45 Mag or .308 Win, as the basic 45 ACP would lose too much length.

There was someone did some experimental work with (I think) a 32 ACP case necked down to 22. Called it the ".22 Flea". The idea, (again, I think) was to develope a reloadable 22 lr round. Or it might have been just a technological excercise.

(Forgive me if this is disjointed. I had two wisdom teeth extracted today and I'm on Tylenol with Codeine.... No reloading today.)

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old October 29, 2001, 09:09 PM   #8
MeekAndMild

Quote:
Kinda gettin into the ballpark of the .30 Mauser, .30 Luger etc.
.30 Mauser=one hot load.

How about the old 32-20 Winchester? Case length = 1.315 inches, body diameter= .354 necked down to .327
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.