The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 27, 2001, 08:18 PM   #1
handgunhunting

spent primers

What to do with all those used primers we all have.
I was thinking, why just throw them away when you might be able to do something fun with them.
I got to thinking why not load them in my shot shells in place of lead shot.
I use plastic wads so no bore damage will happen. Use low charges so pressure wouldn't be trouble, so why not?
so today I loaded a 410 with just wad and primer filled the hull with spent primers and crimped it closed, Loaded it in my H & R 410 and fired it a piece of plywood from 10 feet. What I got was a "shot" spread that I could cover with a quarter and deep impact marks in the wool. I think this would be a good "play" load or something to get rid of stray I don't think you could get enough in the hulls for hunting and keep the pressure down.
Old October 27, 2001, 09:28 PM   #2
C.R.Sam

I think you will find that a shot cup full of spent primers will be so light that you would have to use extra heavy wad pressure just to get the pressure up to normal. This is oft noted when loading flechette rounds. Have to pack em in lead powder to get good powder ignition. Weigh your projectile charge for insurance.

You might consider the amount of lead staphinate bein blown out with the fired primers. I have no idea whether it is worth considerin or not. Just a thought.

Cool that you load for the .410, so few do and such a fun round.

Sam
Old October 27, 2001, 09:35 PM   #3
handgunhunting

the reason I reload for the 410 is because I can't find any around me. and when I do find them they are very pricy. I just need to find a supply fo 1x fired hulls.

the ammount of spent primers you can get in a shell are so few that the amount of lead staphinate bein blown out with the fired primers should not be a problum + I will be shooting out side
Old October 27, 2001, 10:39 PM   #4
Benjamin

I sell them to the local scrap metal dealer. Never had a problem, other than the bucket spilling on the way there. D'oh!
Old October 29, 2001, 02:10 PM   #5
Keith J

Large pistol primers can be used as gas checks for home-swaging of bullets.

The small ones are useful for .17 caliber stuff. Thinking of a swage to make some jacketed air rifle pellets!