The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 26, 2001, 11:10 AM   #1
Ben Shepherd

Your Powder Choices?-INPUT PLEASE!!!!

Maybe this has been covered before, if so I'm sorry.

When I get a new caliber weapon, and have to start from scratch with my handloads, I always try to use powders that fill the case(ESPECIALLY hunting loads) because:
1. It's almost impossible to double charge.
2. Much less chance of a misfire or hangfire due to primer not being in contact with powder.

The only drawback I can see is fewer loads per pound of powder.
I've seen some powders that only put 6 grains in a 44 mag case, never seen them hangfire, but it just makes me wonder when it's going to happen. Is #2 even a valid concern?

How 'bout some input on this from you guys??

THANKS!!!

NRA certified rifle, pistol and shotgun instructor.
Hunter education instructor
Old October 26, 2001, 12:14 PM   #2
El Rojo

How often does that happen?

The double charge is a valid concern of course. Everyone needs to pay close attention to what they are doing when loading. I find with rifles, it is nearly impossible to double charge and not know it. But the handgun rounds are a concern and that is why I really try to establish a routine that I don't deviate from. I always select a stage to stop loading and fidget with the primers or radio or whatever. I don't deviate from that.

I have a question though. How often do misfires occur from the powder not being in contact with the primer? I would think this happens very rarely if ever. You would probably have to be shooting straight down for such a thing to be slightly possible right? I know my main problem with rifle misfires has been that my powder measure nut came loose and I didn't discover that the powder did charge. That is very discouraging when you are shooting a national match course and you squeeze the trigger at 600 yards prone. Click! You eject and put another round in. Click! Pretty soon I am getting some good trigger control practice because most of my rounds are failing. Of course this is my own stupid fault.

My point, the double charge is a concern, I don't think the primer contacting the powder is a concern. Am I wrong?
Old October 26, 2001, 01:27 PM   #3
griz

As far as I know I’ve never had a misfire because the powder was not in contact with the primer. But I have loaded rounds with small (volume) charges that were very sensitive to position of the powder. This is easily checked by firing the gun after holding it up versus after holding the gun down. The change from having the powder near the primer to having it near the bullet can vary the velocity by over 100 FPS. For me that makes reason #2 a valid concern, so I like case filling loads when possible.
Old October 26, 2001, 01:28 PM   #4
Ben Shepherd

That's exacly what I' wondering. Especially with pistols or hunting situations, you're more than likey going to be shooting up or down hill, rarely is is going to be level ground. At least under my experience outside of the local range.

NRA certified rifle, pistol and shotgun instructor.
Hunter education instructor
Old October 26, 2001, 08:17 PM   #5
JerryM

I once tried to work up loads for my .300 Wby Mag which would be about 30-06 velocities. I found that some powders such as 4064 in the quantities loaded would result in hang fires. I finally gave it up as a bad job.
I don't think it would be a problem in a handgun, although the velocity would vary with the location of the powder, in a light load, in the case.
Jerry