The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 17, 2001, 03:03 PM   #1
JGIORD

Dumb Question - Instructions?

OK, forgive the newbie question, but when you buy these guns new, do they come with instructions on how to properly clean and assemble them?

Also what type of lubricant and cleaner are you suppose to use?

I'd hate to buy a new 870 and get home and not know how to put the thing together.
Old October 17, 2001, 03:39 PM   #2
Mo_Zam_Beek

With the number of attorneys that we have in this country? Trust me the "instruction book" is far thicker than it need be.
Old October 17, 2001, 05:51 PM   #3
bamf

Well if you happen to get a used 870 or perhaps lose your manual...you can always go to remington's website and download the 870 manual.
Old October 17, 2001, 05:59 PM   #4
Bam Bam

Surprisingly, there is little printed information on how to clean your shotgun. When I bought a 870 20 ga, used, there was no instructions and it seemed like too dumb a question to ask. After shooting and not cleaning I finally bought a kit and some Hoppes and just kind of "did it." This is my routine.

Get a kit for the gauge and brash brush or "tornado" and some Hoppes or other cleaner.

Spread out the newspaper on the floor with at least 3 sheets thickness. Put on thin latex gloves or disposable painters gloves.
Get a big disposable paper or styrifoam bowl. Open bottle of Hoppes and place upright in bowl. Take off the barrel. Assemble brush and shaft and dip straight into bottle Hoppes, being careful not to tip it over. Hold the barrel with one hand and run the brush up and down with the other. Put the brush in the end than fits into the action. Do not remove the choke!! The hand that holds the barrel has a paper towel palmed so that when the brush reaches the top the Hoppes and lead do not spray everywhere. Scrape the barrel about 5 times, dip into Hoppes and repeat 4 times. Take the brush off the shaft of the cleaner. Twist a wad of newspaper to just larger than the barrel diameter. Ram it through the barrel. Inspect. Repeat as needed.

For the chamber, remove the bolt per instructions. Swab with a very lightly wetted chamber brush. Hold the action with the stock UP so that drips would not run down into the wood. Swab with paper towels. Reassemble.

Hope that helped, BB.
Old October 17, 2001, 06:11 PM   #5
Wolfgang

The 870 is easy to take apart and put back together.

You should have no problem. I can do it!
Old October 17, 2001, 07:21 PM   #6
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

JGOID:
If you get one, let me know, and I will send you the disassem/Assem instructions w/photos.

HJN
Old October 18, 2001, 11:15 AM   #7
JGIORD

Thanks guys.

Great info. I found the Remington website and see the online manual.

I should be picking it up this weekend.
Old October 18, 2001, 11:49 AM   #8
Will Beararms

Breakfree CLP is the cleaner Lubricant. Get a Boresnake for cleaning the inside of the barrel----------------------a great product that will save time.

Hoppe's Number 9 solvent only for those times when you've shot so much ammo that the bore is caked with gunk---------------otherwise, Breakfree will suffice for all lubrication and cleaning.

Use q-tips soaked in clp to clean the nooks and crannies.