The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old October 4, 2001, 05:04 PM   #1
buzz_knox

Good HD/CQB shotgun?

I was persuing my arsenal . . . I mean, collection, and noticed that the absence of a good shotgun was more blatant than usual. So, what's a good budget shotgun that will fulfill the needs of home defense, urban combat, and providing bad guys with the means of overcoming their dependance on oxygen?
Old October 4, 2001, 06:01 PM   #2
MH

My previous post disappeared

Hopefully I am not double posting. More expert responses will follow from others, but this is what I have done. I decided to switch from handgun to shotgun for home defense. My conclusion after studying all the evidence over many years is that the shotgun is the most decisive fight stopper, period. I purchased two, that I am going to shoot side by side for awhile. A Winchester Defender 1300 with fiber optic sight, and a Remington 870 Express with a 20 inch rifle sight smooth bore deer barrel. I added a two shot Scattergun Technologies mag extension to the 870. I think the Remington with extension is less likely to dent if dropped than the 1300 extended mag tube. The grooved receiver on the 1300 allows use of the fiber optic sight almost like sights. The 870 has a crisper trigger. I like both, will probably keep the 870 under the bed. Never hurts to have an extra gun!
Old October 4, 2001, 06:33 PM   #3
scouter27

Sometimes you can find very good deals on retired police 870's.
Old October 4, 2001, 08:05 PM   #4
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

MH - I find that one at each end of the house works well.

Buzz - many, many threads on this issue. I'm locking this one - mainly for brevity's sake.

Giz