The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 29, 2001, 04:51 PM   #1
StarfuryZeta

Just got a Browning BPS. Have question.

My dad gave me a Browning BPS shotgun. Its chambered for 3" with a 28" barrel. Its in great condition, but looks like it has a tiny bit of wear on it, so I'm assuming its some years old. I'm not a big hunter or skeet shooter, but I'm not going to get rid of it either. So, is there anyway to turn this guy into some sort of a defense shotgun? Do they make mag. extensions for browning shotguns, so I can get more that 4 shots out of it? How about grips?
Thanks for any info!
Old September 29, 2001, 05:04 PM   #2
scouter27

I've never seen any. Maybe you should take up hunting or some other SG sport.
Old September 29, 2001, 08:06 PM   #3
HK1

I too have never seen any..and I would not change that gun one bit..its from your dad..years from now when your dad is gone the gun will bring back fond memories..for that reason I would leave it as it is...if you want a PG and mag extension..buy a used benelli..but keep in mine it cannot have the 4 shot mag extension and the PG on at the same time unless its a preban..
Old September 29, 2001, 08:09 PM   #4
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

While there is't much you can add on to your shotgun, it'll be a fine home defense gun as is... Long guns are suited to fixed positions (like by the bed) with cover and communications.

Handguns are nice for discreetly answering the door at night or whenever.

Do an analysis of your home (what if's) and figure out your engagement zones. The backstops and ranges will dictate your ammo choices.

Frankly, I have 12GA riot guns as they were cheaper than the 870 youth guns - but the 20 will work very well. Saw several deer shot with them and the buckshot loads worked just fine. If I end up with a small statued female again, a 20 ga youth will be the HG shotgun of choice.

(you didn't mention the guage)

Giz
Old September 29, 2001, 10:41 PM   #5
Bam Bam

I am going with Gizmo on this. If you point and shoot correctly your wonderful BPS xx ga. needs zero mod.s to function as an HD device. Do a number of "walk throughs" in your abode with lights out or eyes closed. Memorising the layout will give a big advantage over an intruder. If needed, help yourself by rearranging furniture so that you have something to hide behind but intruder has no obstacles for your COM shots. BPS shotguns are beauties. Don't muck up a good gun trying to get it do something it can already do i.e. put holes is goblins.
Old September 30, 2001, 12:45 PM   #6
StarfuryZeta

Hey guys,
Thanks for the info. It is a 12ga. and I think I'm gonna keep it just the way it is.