The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 27, 2001, 04:57 PM   #1
Dave R

In praise of the two-shooter

Went upland hunting with a buddy after work (I love Idaho). We chased a small flock of dove around, then we stumbled onto some Hungarian partridges and puffed after them a bit. I took my two-trigger double.

We didn't get many shots, but the few I took made me really glad for the chance to instantly choose between a modified and full choke.

The last shot I took, the birds flushed away from me. The shot was long, but there was no deflection and the bird looked steady as a rock on the bead, so I pulled the "full" trigger and the bird dropped like a brick. It didn't move again--had three in the back. That gun throws a really tight pattern on full. Doubt I could've made the shot with a modified choke.

So I am really appreciating the versatility of the two-trigger double. Shoot, if I wanted I could load a 3" size 6 in one barrel for partridge, and a 2 3/4 shell with 7.5 for the dove & quail in the other. In fact, I think I'll do that next time. Can't do it with a pump or semi, though, or even a single-trigger double.

I guess a two-trigger double is just the "right tool" for a mixed bag of upland.
Old September 28, 2001, 05:55 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Amen, Dave...

When it comes to a hunting situation where shots may be close or far, and at a variety of game, 2 triggers are impossible to beat for choke/load choices. Nobody I know is able to switch the first up with a single trigger under real hunting conditions.

Here in Md, a good combo for upland game would be IC/Mod with 1 1/8 oz of 7 1/2s and a 1 1/4 oz load of hard 6s.

Another nice combo with that load would be to spread the chokes, say Cylinder/IM or Full.
Old September 28, 2001, 09:25 AM   #3
Jeff, CA

There's an article in the current "American Rifleman" on the merits of the sxs. It says pretty much the same thing, Dave R.

How much practice does it take before you can choose a barrel/trigger without even thinking about it?

Old September 28, 2001, 11:21 AM   #4
Dave R

Jeff, I saw that article tonight when I came home from work. Thought sure everyone would think I had read it first.

It took me two normal sessions of clays to get used to picking the right trigger.

My experience (based on two hunts, so...) is that, if the shot is long, I can take the extra fraction of a second to switch triggers while finalizing my aim.
Old September 28, 2001, 04:57 PM   #5
K80Geoff

Yep Looks like the SXS is making a comeback. More and more are being imported and the selection of guns is quite large. About time as the price of old Parkers is ridiculous.

My cuz and I were talking a couple of weeks ago and he mentioned that he had taken his dad's old duck gun out to shoot slugs. "Just in case" He pulls out an old Baker Batavia Leader!!! One of the few sidelock doubles made in this country.

I talked him out of trying to shoot anymore slugs with it and parted with an old SKB auto that I won in a club raffle to keep him from blowing himself and the gun up!!!

Now I have to find a recoil pad for the old Baker, and convince him that the funny colors on the receiver are not rust and not to use steel wool on it

That gun fed his fathers family during the depression.

I really have the hots for a Spanish sidelock in 28 GA (But not the cash unfortunately )

Geoff Ross

Still payin for the last shotgun infatuation!
Old September 29, 2001, 08:42 PM   #6
Bowser

Not to mention that taking 3 shots at a bird is downright unsporting.

Bowser.
Old October 1, 2001, 02:19 PM   #7
Hemicuda

I personally SWEAR by my pair (one in 12, and the other in 20)
model 310 C Savage double trigger Double shotguns...

It wasn't really a problem learning how to pick a choke, and as Dave R points out, they can be loaded differently, for different jobs... mine BOTH also have 3" chambers... a REAL bonus...

gun and car collector.
Rare cars, and rarer guns.
Old October 1, 2001, 07:24 PM   #8
PJR

I got bit by the double gun bug and after researching bought an Arrieta with double triggers. The transition isn't too difficult, about like going from an automatic transmission to a standard.

Mine's choked .005 and .015 -- skeet and light modified. Were I to do it again I might get the second barrel a little tighter but it's done well on pheasant and grouse. For grouse I use 1 ounce of 7.5 to start and 1-1/8 of copper plated 7.5 in the second barrel. For pheasants I like 1-1/8 ounces of 6.

Paul