The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 27, 2001, 02:29 AM   #1
J.T.King

What the heck is a "Laser Cast" bullet???

So I have been learning all about my brinnel(sp?) hardness and plated bullets, etc, and I came across something called Laser Cast bullets. They claim to use silver among 7 other "virgin" metals in their bullet alloy. Whats the point? How hard are these bullets? Are they like plated bullets in not spreading lead fumes?

Thanks!

JT
Old September 27, 2001, 06:28 AM   #2
WESHOOT2

LAZER-CAST

These bullets are hard, but not brittle.

All lead bullets make fumes; don't huff the fumes.

(Some 'name' shooters use Hornady, or Sierra, or Winchester jacketed bullets)
Old September 27, 2001, 08:57 AM   #3
Charmedlyfe

I think you are talking about Oregon Trail bullets. Only cast bullets I've used that go at jacketed bullet speeds with no leading. Very accurate, and so beautiful that it almost hurts to load them. In my opinion, the best cast bullet around. You won't be disappointed. You can get cheaper, but not better.
Old September 27, 2001, 09:54 AM   #4
Bottom Gun

Haven't tried them yet. Where can I find some?

Thanks!
Old September 27, 2001, 11:52 AM   #5
J.T.King

Thanks for the responses guys...

Bottom Gun, follow my "Laser Cast" link on the first post in this thread.

Anyone know the hardness on these bullets?

JT
Old September 27, 2001, 02:22 PM   #6
Thibault

Bottom Gun:

Cabela's has the line-up in store and catalog.

Just my 0.02!
Old September 27, 2001, 07:06 PM   #7
Cheapo

I think their Brinnel hardness is advertised at 24. An independent test I read sometime the last year and a half reported its batch at Brinnel 23. Not a significant deviation--well within instrumentation variations.

I have been able to get them to lead in both .357 and .40 S&W, but the deposits are so light and so easy to clean out, their leading superiority is very clear to me. My speeds have been 1400+ in .357 125s and somewhere around 1100 for .40 155s.

Accuracy has never been worse than maybe 2-1/2 inch five-round groups at 25 yards in .38 and .357 loads. In the .40, accuracy has never been better than that same level, usually 3 to 4 inches. That, however, is as "not" good as anything else in .40 in that pistol. :barf:

I think the "laser-cast" name refers to some process in making the molds...but I remember getting no clues from their website.
Old September 29, 2001, 01:08 PM   #8
Chemistry

Out of all the unjacketed lead bullets, the Oregon Trail Laser Cast bullets have been the best in my experiences.

Excellent consistency from one bullet to another, no need to deal with the long time of scrubbing that normally comes about from using unjacketed lead, and these bullets look flat-out amazing.

I've pushed their bullets to jacketed bullet velocities (122 grain .356" flat point to 1350 fps in a Glock 31), and no leading.

Despite their use of silver in their alloys, their bullets cost only slightly more than other makers' unjacketed lead bullets.

If you have a range that doesn't allow plated bullets, then the Laser Cast bullets, along with Precision's polymer coated bullets, are probably the best options, if you don't want to deal with scrubbing out stubborn lead deposits.
Old October 1, 2001, 08:50 AM   #9
Big88foot

I remember reading that Oregon Trail used the name "laser cast" because it "sounded" accurate....they don't use lasers in the process...just an advertising ploy.
Old October 1, 2001, 10:40 AM   #10
J.T.King

What's leading like at rifle velocities?

I will be reloading fairly stout rounds for a 45LC Marlin. Maybe in the 255gr over 20gr 2400 neighborhood. I would expect that to reach 1500-1700fps in the Marlin.

Will this cause undue leading with the lasercast bullets? Should I stick to plated? Do I need to go to jacketed?

Thanks!

JT
Old October 2, 2001, 11:17 AM   #11
Cheapo

My own Lyman (311313?) gas check jobs go 1800-1900 in the .30 Carbine and don't lead a bit. Don't know how hard they are, but it's close to the Oregon Trail bullets.

The gas check may be helping matters quite a bit, though. Our lubes have included Lyman (or RCBS?) rifle, and a 50/50 mix of that stuff and a band saw lube. Both work fine and the gun shoots 2 MOA.
Old October 4, 2001, 08:46 PM   #12
JB_KILL

I like those silver bullets, just like the Lone Ranger. Now if I could get the wife to dress-up like Tonto I’d be in business.

But seriously, I’ve put 1000 through my Mod 29 and they are the best store bought cast I’ve tried. My fav: 240gr SWC on top of 9.5gr of Unique.
Old October 5, 2001, 10:48 AM   #13
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

J.T.King: When you get to about 1,400 ft/sec, you need either a gas-check bullet or something as hard as the Laser Cast.

Gas checks will let you get on up to around 2,200 ft/sec, IIRC.

I'm basing this on some comments in Phil Sharpe's book, and my experience with the 169-grain lead GC in the '06. In the '06 with that bullet, 20 grains of 2400 gives around 1,900 to 2,000 ft/sec.

FWIW, Art
Old October 5, 2001, 02:57 PM   #14
Cheapo

Art, I've tried a 17-gr or so gas check bullet that has a pointy nose and had lousy accuracy with loads fast enough to cycle an M1. Is your 169-gr like that, or more of a traditional RN style.

I later read an OLD American Rifleman article that noted that my bullet was no good above 1400- to 1600fps. Totally a design problem, IIRC.

BTW, this was with the same hard alloy that was giving such good results in the other .30 Carbine bullet.