The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 26, 2001, 10:10 PM   #1
JosephBoeckner

are 22 LR worth it to reload?

i get my remington thunderbolts for 19 bucks for 500 and 10 on sale and other prices depending on places... are the brass worth saving to reload?other than the accuracy, just the basic cost-thanks for ur imput. Joseph
Old September 26, 2001, 10:22 PM   #2
RJ McCormack

Joseph,
If I understand, you are refering to the rimfire cartridge. As far as my limited knowledge extends - there is no practical method to reload 22 LR brass. Has something to do with spinning the primer compound into the rim. It would be a whole lot of work for little benefit considering the low cost of commercial ammo.
regards, Rob
Old September 26, 2001, 10:36 PM   #3
Edward429451

If you load for .223 REM, you can get a set of dies that will turn your empty .22 RF brass into benchrest quality .224 slugs, which will basically give you free bullets for life, for your Mini or AR. The kit will pay for itself in 4000 rounds. (Its $400.), at www.corbins.com
Old October 2, 2001, 03:22 PM   #4
MADISON

Handloading 22 LR?

I'm 62 and too young to remember/comfirm this but, according to my readings...THE COMPONENTS TO RE-LOAD 22 LR cartridges have not been available sine the 1930's.

My suggestion is to try "SQUIB LOADS".
I have two 22 centerfire squib loads that are extimated to be 1850 feet per second.
22 Hornet[[55gr bullet] 4.1 grains of UNIQUE.
223 [55gr bullet] 5.6 grains of UNIQUE.

On pages 90 trough 93 of LEE's Loading manual you can read about a program that will give you loads for a desired velocity, using the same hot load powder. It only cost $5.
Old October 2, 2001, 06:31 PM   #5
zot

you want to reload .22 LR,,,,,,,,,
Old October 4, 2001, 09:45 PM   #6
JosephBoeckner

not reload 22LR spec.

as hte guys said above.. like for 22 hornet and 223.... to neck cases and things of that sort.. just wondering thier opinions. i know some guys that reload and i wont be for a while so i might ask em if they reload one of those
Old October 5, 2001, 12:01 AM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

Technically, you CAN reload .22 LR.

However, to do so, you'd need a some very expensive equipment, including a spinner to spin the compound into the primer rim, and all the safety equipment necessary to work with the priming compound, which is essentially a lump of high explosive, and a LOT more sensitive than TNT.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 5, 2001, 05:11 AM   #8
Hal

Gale McMillan posted an interesting read on the rec.guns newsgroup a few years ago detailing his efforts in handloading the .22 rimfire. He didn't have any success in doing it.

Take this with the proverbial grain of salt since it's from my hazy memory.
He decided to not reload spent cases for a number of reasons. Dent in the rim, small size made handling difficult, lack of components etc., so he talked a mfg out of a few(1000?) primed but unloaded cases. for the most part it didn't go that smooth, and what he ended up with didn't offer any advantage over even mediocre factory ammo. Higher end ammo such as Green Tag and Federal Match were actually cheaper and performed better.

I really miss Gale since he did so much more than build .50 rifles.