The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 25, 2001, 01:54 AM   #1
DougB

Low cost rifle kits for Boy Scouts?

I'm a Boy Scout leader, and we are thinking of buying some black powder rifle kits for the boys to build. We have some money from fund raising available, but not a lot. We would prefer that these be at least semi-authentic historic replicas (not modern in-line rifles), although low cost is the overriding criteria (assuming at least adequate quality). I see that Cabela's has a Hawken replica kit that looks pretty good for $170. I may contact Cabela's and see if they will give a discount to a Boy Scout group purchasing 6-8 rifles. Do any of you know of less costly options we could consider. Thanks.

Doug
Old September 25, 2001, 02:27 AM   #2
PreserveFreedom

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/showa...55645&dc_id=61

CVA® .50 cal. Plainshunter Black Powder Rifle Kit is ready-to-finish!

*Deep grain, select hardwood stock
*26" octagonal blued barrel is deep grooved with 1:48" rifling
*Engraved case-hardened percussion / sidelock
*Brass thimbles, nose cap, wedge plates and brass plated oversized trigger guard
*Length: 42", weighs 6 1/2 lbs.
*Instructions and Lifetime CVA® Mechanical Warranty.

$119.97

Sportsman's Guide has also been known to give discounts for items bought in bulk. It wouldn't hurt to call them and talk to a supervisor.

Good luck! This sounds like a great project. Kinda makes me wish I was young enough to join the boy scouts.

Old September 29, 2001, 11:25 PM   #3
Wildwilley

kits

Here in SW Pennsylvania, Sam's Club has flintlock kits at a good price. But more importantly, they have quantity and they are the streamline kit. This cuts down on weight.
I belong to a few muzzleloading clubs and have turned these kits into Hawken style guns.
When we were done they actually had a custom look. These were for kids and they loved 'em.