The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 7, 2001, 10:07 AM   #1
jb26

Making a magazine plug

Hi,

any suggestions on how to make a magazine plug for an 870 express with a mag extension. I am putting a 2 round extension on, but need a plug for hunting (obviously). I was thinking of a wooden dowel rod of the correct diameter and length, but need a way to keep it attached to the end of the mag extension so that it doesn't slide down toward the receiver.

Thanks.

The P6 by any other name is just as sweet. -jb26 (in an obscure reference to the sig 225)

ex libertatum et iusticia, pax
Old September 7, 2001, 10:42 AM   #2
Coronach

Not sure how this would work in an extended mag, but basically a standard plug has a fatter base ring at the end so that the spring sits on that base- the force of the spring holds the plug against the forward end of the magazine tube.

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old September 7, 2001, 11:10 AM   #3
ENC

what does it matter if it slides down towards the reciever the spring won't push it so it shouldn't interfere.

A possible solution is to go to a hardware store and buy a very cheap srewdriver and cut off most of the hanle and leave just enough to keep it from sliding.

Why are you extending the magazine and then putting a plug in it? Does it have to do with the difference between the air speed of a African vs. European Swallow
Old September 7, 2001, 11:32 AM   #4
PreserveFreedom

ENC -
I think he is planning on using the shotgun for more than just hunting, thus needing limited capacity sometimes and increased capacity others.

Old September 7, 2001, 12:47 PM   #5
Ledbetter

Two thoughts

One--glue on a rubber o-ring

Two--build the size and shape flange you need on the dowel with Marine Tex.
Old September 7, 2001, 01:09 PM   #6
jb26

THanks for the replys. There's a coupl of things I can try.

The reason it matters whether it slides down is that I don't want it to jam up the carrier if I lose count of the number of shots.

yes I want to use it for a number of uses. The plug is for hunting or any place else that limits the number of shells loaded. The extended mag is for any other use and for adding weight to the front of the gun.

The P6 by any other name is just as sweet. -jb26 (in an obscure reference to the sig 225)

ex libertatum et iusticia, pax
Old September 7, 2001, 02:21 PM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Try a 3/8" dowel with a mag tube sized washer secured to the end with a wood screw. First wrap the end of the dowel with some tape to minimize splitting.
Old September 7, 2001, 09:56 PM   #8
Coronach

As usual

I think Dave McC has the best solution, simple and effective. Way better than my idea, which would have involved putting the thing on a lathe and turning it down, probably.

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old September 8, 2001, 05:48 AM   #9
Guyon

Yeah, Dave's got the right idea. Use a washer. Or maybe just a piece of a slightly larger dowel that you glue and screw on.

I've been thinking about devising an extension to be used with the replacement followers from Choate. Just a length of dowel will work, but to prevent sliding around in the magazine (and thus an unwanted noise), I'm going to have to figure out a clever way to attach the plug to the follower. I may use a small interlocking joint--similar to a mortice and tenon--and then just peg or screw the two together. Then my follower and my plug will all be one unit.

Or if anyone knows of any steel followers for the 870 Express (with the grooves for those annoying dimples in the magazine), I could just replace my followers and use the magazine plugs from Remington.
Old September 8, 2001, 08:32 AM   #10
Coronach

Or dremel/drill/swedge out the dimples.

Mike

Old September 9, 2001, 03:08 PM   #11
ATTICUS

It is possible that those plastic ones that you find in stores (the sectioned ones that you cut to length) might work if you don't remove any of the sections. I've seen them sell for as low as $2.00-$3.00.
Old September 9, 2001, 04:52 PM   #12
RHC

A few years ago I decided to take the plug out of the 1100 I inherited from my dad. It was the cut off end of a plastic fly swatter! (the big rounded end) It had always worked just fine.
Old September 9, 2001, 08:04 PM   #13
Commygun

I bought an Auto-5 used and discovered the plug inside was
three shotgun shell hulls neatly and firmly taped together.
This works great. I eventually sold the A-5 but still use this plug in my Mossberg.