The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 6, 2001, 01:37 AM   #1
HondoBWH

Help me date my "new' 1100

I just purchased a NIB Remington 1100 at a gunshop that I'm guessing is around 25 years old (the gunshop didn't know for sure). It is without a screw-in-choke, has the white diamond and lining on stock, has receiver and bolt etchings, and is order#5336, serial# N 489669V. Everything in the box was in perfect order as if it had never been assembled. The manual, safety booklet, gun description tag, and 3-shot plug were all there along with the cardboard packing ring for the magazine tube and the sheath of plastic bag that covered the butt of the stock. It's as if it was lost in a time warp!
I don't know if one can trace time of production to the serial number but I am quite curious as to the age of this shotgun. Also, is there anything I need to be concerned about before firing this gun since it has been lying in a box so long. I've given it an overall lubing but this is my first autoloader so I am wondering about the integrity of the seals and action (although they seem like new). I am new to this forum and seeking the good advice and knowledge from all you experienced folks out there!
Old September 6, 2001, 02:31 AM   #2
SKN

Serial # prefix letter "N"

Post 1968 production. Sorry that I can't narrow it any further. What stampings are present on the left side of the barrel? Those may help narrow it a bit more.
Old September 6, 2001, 11:20 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Congrats on your find. A classic, all you should need to bring it up to speed might be new O rings, going on what I'm told.

Unless it's stamped "Magnum" on the receiver, stick to 2 3/4" shells.I'd go with some light field loads to break it in, and if there's malfs just go on until you've got a few hundred rounds through it.By then it should be smooth with all 2 3/4 shells.

Enjoy!