The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 3, 2001, 06:18 AM   #1
xraymongral

Powder for short barreled 30-06?

I have a old model 700 with a barrel that is about 18.5" in 30-06. I have been using AA2520 for what little I have reloaded for this gun. While this has done fine, I want to use a extruded powder as they are said to be more consistant over a wide range of tempratures. Since I will be shooting in the winter and the summer, I thought it would be nice to have the same point of impact year round. Anyways, I was looking at some of the powders available, and can't figure out what would be best for my rifle. I imagine a faster powder for the short barrel, but how fast? I have looked at using 3031, 4064, 4895 and Varget. Also have looked at H4895 and XMR4064. The XMR4064 looks like a good idea being short cut so it meters better. Is the H4895 that much more consistant over a wide range of tempratures then the IMR or AA powders? Heck, everytime I think about this, I start scratching my head, and my thinning hair is getting even thinner on the one side now....
Old September 3, 2001, 09:56 AM   #2
Target Shooter

4895 should work fine for a short barrel. Either IMR or Hodgdon brand.

TS
Old September 3, 2001, 12:06 PM   #3
swifter...

Think about Varget. About same burning rate as 4064, not temperature sensitive.
Tom
Old September 3, 2001, 02:46 PM   #4
Paul B.

Well, you didn't say what velocity level you were tryingv to attain, but you will still gain the highest velocity with the slower burning propellants like IMR-4350, IMR and H-4831 and other powders in the same general burning rate. Muzzle blast and flash will probably be higher, but so will velocity.
Paul B.
Old September 3, 2001, 07:09 PM   #5
Archie

To underscore what Paul B said....

Rate of burn for powder is dependent on case volume relative to bullet sectional density.

Barrel length will cause a change in velocity, but the fastest load in a long barrel will still be the fastest load in a short barrel (all other factors being equal).

By going to one of the "temperature tolerant" powders, you may give up a little in velocity. However, the gain in confidence will probably over shadow the velocity loss. Work up a load that is consistent and accurate and gives enough power to do what you want to do. Don't worry if another powder would be 26 f/s faster, it won't matter.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old September 3, 2001, 10:05 PM   #6
xraymongral

I guess I was thinking that if I used a slow powder that it might not reach its preassure peak in the shorter barrel, thus a faster burning powder would be neccesary. So how short a barrel can you go and still count on the fastest load out of a long barrel will be the fastest out of a short barrel? At some point the faster powder must have a edge, no?

Looks like I am going to look for either H-4895 or AA XMR2495, whichever the dealer has.
Old September 4, 2001, 07:48 PM   #7
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

My father has always used 4895; I've always used 3031 (light bullets) or 4064 (150-grain and up). Excellent results for the both of us, for over 50 years. Groups inside one inch from our hunting rifles are quite common.

From some of the tables in the reloading books, H414 looks interesting...

I have never had any problem in group size with mixed brands of primers--Remington or Winchester; doesn't seem to matter.

FWIW, Art