The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 21, 2001, 01:51 PM   #1
Mark G

Hornady Projector Questions

I picked up a used Projector all set up fir 38/357 for $100. I could not resist at that price. I have switched it over for .45ACP and been having some difficulties.

1. When I place the brass in the first station it tends to cock inward in the shell plate and hit on the edge of the die. I am now holding and feeding it in the size die but that really slows things down. This did not happen loading 38.

2. The small primer system works flawlessly. Large primers however are becoming quite a problem. 2 or 3 per 100 are flipping side ways in the primer arm and getting mashed sideways in the primer pocket (no I haven't set one off yet). I am actually not sure where in the system this is happening as it doesn't happen when I am watching. Any Ideas?
Old August 21, 2001, 09:13 PM   #2
Jethro

Mark,

Been there done that... Got two used ones!

#1 Make sure that the the tension on the shell plate is correct. I usually tighten it down till it doesn't want to index, then back it off till it indexes consistently, but doesn't throw powder out of the cases. I'd also look to see if there's any powder build-up beneath that area of the shellplate. Then clean it. That should solve your problem. If it doesn't, you may have to change dies. Hornady does make good dies. They work well with the Hornady presses.

#2 It sounds like the large primer cup spring is weak. If the cup doesn't go all the way back up after priming a round, it can cause the primers to catch as they leave the primer tube and turn sideways. Replacing the spring should fix it. Stretching the spring will do so temporarily...

I'll bet that the press had the large primer assembly in it when you got it.

When the ram is resting at the bottom of the stroke, the primer cup spring is compressed. I wedge a screwdriver under the ram so the spring isn't compressed when I'm not using it.

I hope this helps... Stay safe,
Jethro
Old August 22, 2001, 09:18 AM   #3
MADISON

Projector

I have a 1989 Hornady Projector that gives me a "FIT" when changing calibers. I called Hornady and they told me to tighten the shell-plated down and then back off 2 flats on the screw. Sometimes this works and sometimes it doesn't. You need to tighten and loosen until a case will go through each station, without tilting or wanting to freeze up.

The HORNADY people will send you an up to date manual if you ask for it.

The HORNADY priming system SUCKS!!! I went to off bench priming. That, of course requires decaping on another press. I use the RCBS AUTO PRIMING TOOL [Bench Mounted] Part # 09460 that can be had for less than $65.