The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 18, 2001, 10:24 PM   #1
bmcneil

Stevens Model 416

I have an old Stevens model 416 .22 bolt action target rifle.

I did some reseach and found out that it used to be a military training rifle. I also know there were two versions, a civilian and a military one. I have the civilian one.

The person who gave it to me, said he had an envelope of interchangeable sites, however his mother in law had thrown them out.

Anyway, I'm wondering where the best place to find some magazines, the sights, and a scope would be.

Also any other info anybody can give me on this gun would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old August 19, 2001, 01:45 AM   #2
Steven Mace

bmcneil, you can visit Gun Parts Corporation to find a list of replacement parts for the Stevens Model 416. Hope this helps!

Steve Mace
Old August 19, 2001, 03:10 AM   #3
bmcneil

Scope

Can anybody who has this rifle tell me what type of scope mounts it has, and what kind of scope I need to buy for it?

I'm fairly new to rifles and know didly sqaut about scopes.

And by the way, that website does have magazines for this gun. Woo Hoo!

Thanks.
Old August 19, 2001, 09:23 AM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

bmcneil, does the rifle have four holes drilled and tapped on top of it? Maybe with "blind" screws in the holes?

If not, you'll have to take it to a gunsmith to have these holes drilled and tapped. Simple operation; not very expensive at all. He can also help you with scope mounts.

I recommend the Weaver-type mounts--they're inexpensive and plenty strong. Further, a mid-price scope with a 1" tube (Avoid the so-called ".22 scope" like the very plague!). Avoid the "el cheapo" stuff that sells for $20 or $30--but you don't need the over-$100 stuff, either. I like a 3X9 on a .22; 3X for walking-around hunting, and the 9X for shooting at targets.

Hope this helps,

Art
Old August 19, 2001, 04:21 PM   #5
bmcneil

It has two metal pices that look something like a wooden dovetail screwed onto the gun. I assume these must be the scope mounts?

The only scope I've ever really used was on a modern Ruger, so I havnen't seen these before.
Old August 19, 2001, 06:41 PM   #6
nine fingers

Quote:
It has two metal pices that look something like a wooden dovetail screwed onto the gun. I assume these must be the scope mounts?
Without seeing them I can't say for sure but I'd bet a lot of money that those are scope mounts. Have a dealer or gunsmith help you select the proper rings when you buy your scope.
Old August 19, 2001, 07:00 PM   #7
bmcneil

nine fingers,

I'm sure they are scope mounts. The dealer I took it to, however, could not help me out however.

Thanks For your help.