The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 17, 2001, 12:58 PM   #1
Hawkman

Oddity

I was loading some .44 mag last night with Speer 240gr soft points. I was seating and crimping the bullets when I noticed that on one the bullet had apparently seated too deeply and there was no crimp.

I pulled it to check, and the cannelure was on the wrong end of the bullet. Weird.
Old August 17, 2001, 04:58 PM   #2
sricciardelli

Reload it and use it when you are shooting in the oppostie direction...
Old August 17, 2001, 07:03 PM   #3
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Stranger things have happened, Hawkman. Your bullet merely got dropped backwards through a final forming stage.

I've found a mix of 115 & 124s in factory 9mms before. I don't weigh all my bullets, but I sure do take a look at 'em when loading up. Not a bad idea when setting up & making sure the scale's all set, to throw a couple bullets on just to see what it is you got.

Far as strangest - bought a NIB S&W .22LR revolver - key-holes badly at 15 yds. Take it home, clean it up - doing failure analysis stuff in my head all the way home - turns out they "forgot" to rifle the barrel ....
Old August 17, 2001, 10:59 PM   #4
John Marshall

Hey, labgrade, they didn't furgit nuthin'. That's a S&W .22 Snake Killer smooth bore for #10 shot loads. Mind you, you don't want to tackle any large snakes with it, but.....
Old August 18, 2001, 12:26 AM   #5
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Darn it, John. But, I had "offers" from "professional assasinators" that wanted to buy that "piece" at 4X market value 'cause "they"'d never be able to trace the bullet .....

When pointed out to these "professionals" that this shooter didn't have any ballistic trace (re rifling) & would may be THE only "one to look at," "they" shied away. ... somehow, the "pros" never thought that no trace could be the trace ....as in THE only one w/o rifiling ???

yada, yada ... could be & whatever. I merely wanted a rifled .22 shooter that was supposed to actually spin the bullet along its axis & deliver an accurate shot - as advertised.

Sent the thing back, got it fixed & didn't even get a decent trigger job as result of my hassles - another S&W screw-up, IMHO.

Coulda done better, IMHO ....
Old August 18, 2001, 12:36 AM   #6
Intel6

I have a 158 gr. JSP that was formed backwards. It is a soft base FMJ.
Old August 18, 2001, 07:32 AM   #7
MADISON

"Odd Canalure"

Contact the manufacturer. They might send you another box.
Old August 18, 2001, 10:42 AM   #8
Johnny Guest
Moderator Emeritus

Good Thing We're All Friends Here - - -

labgrade- - -

Did it ever occur to you that you were owner, however inadvertent, of a short-barrel shotgun? A Title-Umpteen item, the mere possession of which can be a federal class XYZ felomeanor? AND, you've confessed in a public forum to that, that, uh, - - - - I don't even want to think of it.

Best,
Johnny

Blog: Expert Witness
Old August 18, 2001, 10:58 AM   #9
C.R.Sam

Labgrade.....maby you should have slugged the bore. If it was at land diameter then it was a mistake and amongst other things would give you significantly higher than normal pressure. If it was at spec bore diameter then it may have been specially made for target work within 1.05° of the equator. Where the effects of right or left twist for compensating for coriolis effect are essentially nullified. Thereby favoring a non-spinning projectile. The foregoing applies only to ranges not exceeding the length of the barrel.

Mas
Old August 18, 2001, 11:15 AM   #10
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

I bought some factory 25-06 Remington, Remington brand 120 grain cor lock PSP's on sale about 20 years or so ago. Got 10 or 12 boxes for the unheard of price (even for back then) of $2.95 a box. I was shooting a few, and went to unload the one in the chamber when the bullet FELL OUT OF THE CASE when I ejected it. Everything looked normal but when I put the test of the microcrometer on it it turned out that they had loaded a .243 diameter bullet in that particular case. All the other rounds were fine.
Old August 20, 2001, 09:15 AM   #11
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Far as "confessing in public" ...

Well, guys - I'm a fisherman too, & we all know about their "reliability." True enough though.

I'm aware of the NFA implications. Turned the 317 back into S&W for a fix soon as I could arrange shipping, etc. It's all fixed.