The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 14, 2001, 02:13 AM   #1
Lennyjoe

454 Casull rifles?

Heres one for ya, Why hasn't anyone designed a rifle for the 454 Casull round? Seems like Marlin would toy with this round. Maybe it wouldnt perform as well in a rifle as compared to a pistol. Whats your imputs? Just curious.
Old August 14, 2001, 06:44 AM   #2
Schmit
Staff Alumnus

Lenny,

Shortly after I got my Casull I went to Jim West of Wild West Guns (maker of the Co-Pilot) and inquired about this very thing.

Most people who want a rifle want a lever action. Due to the pressure levels the .454 generates neither the Marlin nor a Winchester has the locking strength to handle it.

It has been done (.454 Marlin), people have converted them, but as Jim said he wouldn't do it... "The gun is going to blow, might be the first round may be the 200th, but it is going to blow".

That was enough for me. Guess you could do it up in a bolt gun but there are better cartridges for that.

"Notoriety is fleeting,
Anonymity is forever!"
Old August 14, 2001, 11:40 AM   #3
Robert the41MagFan

Schmit is correct. Pressure levels of a .454 Casull are too high for a modern Marlin or Winchester action. Both those actions can handle pressure levels in the 45000 CUP neighborhood. The .454 Casull produces pressures as high as 65000 CUP and by the time the bullet exits the barrel, that pressure can increase as high as 100000 CUP. Definitely not a cartridge for a lever gun. And beside, better performance can be achieved with 45-70 Gov and 450 Marlin cartridges. I've got a Browning High Wall rifle chambered in .454 Casull, so they do exist (had to get one after the last time we had this conversation). Mine is too pretty of a gun and don't believe that it will ever see a rifle range.

Robert
Old August 14, 2001, 10:34 PM   #4
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

There was a recent thread about converting revolvers to carbines. A pic was shown...this would be the way to go. (IMO)
Old August 15, 2001, 02:32 AM   #5
Robert the41MagFan

I believe that if you put a shoulder stock on a revolver and the barrel length is less than 16 inches, it has to be registered as a short barreled rifle. Two hundred dollar tax and may not be legal in all fifty states.

Robert
Old August 15, 2001, 09:44 PM   #6
JohnKSa
Staff

Well, if you want a .45 caliber lever rifle, go with the 45-70 or the 450 Marlin.

Both will outperform the .454 Casull (in a rifle) with lower chamber pressures due to their larger case capacity.
Old December 30, 2005, 03:22 PM   #7
leveractionfan

.454 casull rifle

So, when I was at the gun shop this week, I did so happen to see a lever action rifle that also took .45 long colt. I do not remember who makes it at this time but I will get the model and make and be back. SO... there is a rifle that takes .454 casull rounds.
Old December 30, 2005, 03:27 PM   #8
azredhawk44

I think it's called a Puma.
Old December 30, 2005, 03:47 PM   #9
Wildalaska

No its called the Model 04

Ill eventually be doing a post about the trials and tribulations of building 454/500 S&W lever guns...suffice it to say, after shooting the Puma and taking it apart...its your life

WildlevernutAlaska
Old December 30, 2005, 04:58 PM   #10
FirstFreedom

Can you expand on that Wild please? That does not suffice to say, as I'm not sure exactly what you mean and why, although I take it you're saying you wouldn't shoot one again? I'd appreciate the help, as I was planning to get a Puma M92 in .454.
Old December 30, 2005, 05:07 PM   #11
Wildalaska

We took a used Puma 454, shot it several time and took varioous measurments during those test....

Suffice it to say, the locking surfaces were not holding the tolerances that would make me as a shooter feel comfortable.

WildletsnoteventalkaboutproofloadsAlaska
Old December 30, 2005, 05:26 PM   #12
FirstFreedom

Hmm, I'll mail you a long string to attach to the trigger for running the proof loads, k?

wildguineapigalaska
Old December 30, 2005, 06:17 PM   #13
SavageSniper

youguysreallycrackmeup
Old December 30, 2005, 07:46 PM   #14
TennesseeMedic

I have a Puma lever gun in .454 Casull

Hey Guys,

I purchased a Legacy Sports Puma in .454 Casull last year. Its built on the Winchester model 94 patent. I'm a big fan of the big bore rifles, I already had a .45-70, .444 Marlin and a .450 Marlin and I wanted to add the Puma as well. I purchased the rifle from a local dealer brand new for just under $450.00. I've hunted with it alot and put many rounds down range and I have to say its a very nice rifle with surprising accuracy. Check out www.legacysports.com and give it a look see. I wouldn't take a dime for mine.

Doc
Old December 30, 2005, 08:13 PM   #15
leveractionfan

So, the lever action rifle made by Legacy Sports International cannot handle the tolerances that a .454 casull puts out? Are there any other lever action guns that take the .454 casull?
Old December 30, 2005, 08:46 PM   #16
FirstFreedom

Oh it can take it alright - that's what it's designed to do. The question is, for how many rounds can it take it before it shakes, rattles, and rolls itself apart such that a catastrophic failure occurs, which can be hard on your head, hands, and other body parts. What Wild is saying is that he measured some tolerances in the bolt & chamber areas, and found that they changed (stretched) after shooting some rounds. And more than he would have anticiopated (more than they should), and therefore he doesn't trust the gun to not blow up on him at *some point*. Hard to say when that point might be (maybe NEVER). But the man knows guns, so you gotta listen closely to what he says. Just wish he would elucidate/expand on that testing, rathing than 'sufficing it to say', as he is fond of doing. Of course, his guns are competitors to the other mentioned guns, so you gotta take what he says in that light, correct WA? The M92s are made in Argentina I believe, and imported by LSI. They are a copy of the Winchester 1892 design.
Old December 30, 2005, 09:46 PM   #17
leveractionfan

Ok, for money spent and for reliability, would a standard lever action rifle that takes a .45 long colt be more reliable than the Puma? I'm trying to figure out if I want to buy the Puma, a lever action that takes standard .45 long colt, or a standard .30-30. Thus far I have been leaning more toward the .454 casull but if the Puma has a chance of basicaly blowing up I'm going to start leaning back toward the standard .45 long colt lever actions.
Old December 31, 2005, 01:25 AM   #18
Crosshair

Looks like it is time to bring back the Savage 99 or the Winchester 88. Both can handle .308 so they should be able to be made to handle the .454. (Or is my logic flawed.)
Old December 31, 2005, 09:45 AM   #19
cma g21

Quote:
I purchased a Legacy Sports Puma in .454 Casull last year. Its built on the Winchester model 94 patent.
I also have one, but I've never fired it with full power .454 loads, just mid-range .454s or heavy .45 Colts.

BTW: The Puma (made by Rossi and imported by Legasy, and at least one other company) is based on the Winchester '92 (not the '94).
Old December 31, 2005, 09:49 AM   #20
cma g21

You might also want to check out:

http://www.gunblast.com/Paco_Legacy_454.htm
Old December 31, 2005, 11:03 AM   #21
gak

What Paco in the Gunblast article doesn't mention (that I recall) is that the ..454 Legacy (Rossi) also has an appropriately beefed-up 92 action...it is not exactly the same as the .45s, .44s, 357s, etc. - as strong as those actions are, the .454 called for even more. Also, this is bugging me -- and even Paco has fallen into the misinformed pit -- Legacies ARE Rossis. He speaks as if Legacy is the manufacturer. They are also but one of the current importers of the Rossi 92s, the others being Navy Arms and EMF. Of these, I believe, the Navy Arms utilize genuine American walnut though the EMFs also seem "nicer" than the standard "Rossiwood" of yore, and both use a nicer full "buckhorn" rear sight vs the cheaper looking notch type. (Legacy I believes offers the buckhorn as an option on its long rifles). It is true (or appears to be) that Legacy (LSI) has a special or unique relationship with Rossi the others perhaps do not - as is witnessed by their unique (I am not aware of the "other" Rossi .454 importer mentioned...doesn't mean it doesn't exist though) ...co-development (?) of the .454 application with Rossi. Other than that, the focus of users on TFL on Legacy baffles me - as the LSI 92s employ a unique-to-Legacy little flip lever safety I don't care for at all--and I know of few that do. You'll see "no ugly safeties" or some such wording in competitor EMF 92-distributor ads in Gunbroker or Gunsamerica ads-I agree with entirely. Other than the lack of a .454 offering - unless something has changed I don't know of - it's EMF or Navy Arms all the way with me...truly the more authentic and nicer Rossis being offered now.
Old December 31, 2005, 09:05 PM   #22
tulsamal

Quote:
Thus far I have been leaning more toward the .454 casull but if the Puma has a chance of basicaly blowing up I'm going to start leaning back toward the standard .45 long colt lever actions.
It sure doesn't sound like the Rossi in Paco's review had problems. He fired a bunch of heavy loads in it. More than I would probably fire in my entire ownership of such a rifle. Just having a rifle that can fire something "in the middle" between .45 Colt and .454 seems useful. Knowing it can fire something truly powerful in a special circumstance is a bonus.

Quote:
It was discovered when smokeless powder was introduced to the public, how strong these designs really were. As steel became better and better, stronger and more resistive to pressure, the 92 became an eventual mini-powerhouse. In the late 1970s a company called Rossi, had been reproducing the 1892 designs in many calibers and for a number of cartridges...like the .357 magnum and the 44 magnum. And for Christmas 1998 my wife bought me a Rossi rifle model ‘92 in 45 Colt, with a 24 inch barrel. Which I have been running 50,000 psi pressures in ever since. Nary a problem except one....the loading tube kept cutting the retaining screw off at the muzzle from recoil generated by the heavy loads.

I guess I am big enough to admit that I didn’t think the 92 design would take the 62,000 psi+ pressures of the Freedom Arms/Casull 454 cartridge over a sustained amount of shooting at that pressure. And I have stated that many times in print.

But so far my Legacy Puma 454 is still tight after 500+ rounds of 60 to 65,000 psi pressures, and another 250 rounds of my heavy handloads. This 92 is a little different than the others Rossi used to manufacture, now Legacy. The biggest change is what they did to the loading tube. No more screw cutting! Like the 22RF rifles that have a loading tube that has a spring rod that goes over the cartridges into the tube to give the rounds tension, so the cartridges will cycle, a scaled up version of this is on the new 454 Legacy. It opens at the muzzle with a twist and the rod is withdrawn to the loading port cut into the tube itself, so you can just drop the rounds in. I was able to get 10 .45 long Colt rounds in the tube and still close it, and it allowed nine .454 rounds. But short of getting into a war, nine rounds is certainly enough.
Old January 2, 2006, 04:27 PM   #23
FirstFreedom

another interesting tidbit from that link:

Quote:
After all the shooting over a week and a half, we re-measured the locking lug mortises in the bolt with a 10,000ths digital capability readout, and it was absolutely the same, as with the lugs themselves.
So he's getting significantly different results than WA.
Old January 2, 2006, 04:49 PM   #24
Wildalaska

reckon his meausrements are different. Who knows...I wouldnt buy one or shoot one myslef, but hey, Im not in the writing/publicity biz

WildsimplephysicsAlaska
Old January 2, 2006, 04:53 PM   #25
FirstFreedom

Wait a sec. You said you DID shoot one...do you mean you wouldn't shoot one again, knowing what you know now?