The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 3, 2001, 11:39 AM   #1
jb26

mag extension

I want to get a mag extension for my 870. Which one should I get so that it will NOT go past the muzzle of the 18.5" barrel?
Tac-Star offers 7, 8 and 10 capacity versions.

The P6 by any other name is just as sweet. -jb26 (in an obscure reference to the sig 225)

ex libertatum et iusticia, pax
Old August 3, 2001, 12:04 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

What you want is the 7 shot version, actually 6+1. It adds two rounds to the mag capacity.
Old August 3, 2001, 08:40 PM   #3
Dfariswheel

The Choate, Tac-Star, or Scattergun Tech 7 shot extensions will fit. The reason the Remington extension projects beyond the barrel, is that it was designed to accept a bayonet.
The Remington extension was originally designed as a military gun, therefore the bayonet provision. Remington never saw any need to change tooling just for the Police.
Old August 3, 2001, 10:42 PM   #4
hksigwalther

Had a TacStar 10 rounder on my 1187, 28" barrel. The mag extends to about an inch short of the muzzle.

The tube portion of the TacStar magazine had a tendency to back out of the threaded collar that connects it to the gun's stock magazine under heavy recoil. The tube is friction fit to the collar. Have had to pound it back into place a few times and even tried cyanoacrylate adhesives to keep it in place. Still walks out of the collar.

Replaced the TacStar with a Choate and it seems to be holding up considerably better.

In both 10 round cases, I could only fit 9 rounds into them, which I think is what the capacity should be (9+1) but am not sure as the advertisements for them don't specifiy 9+1, just 10. I could almost cram 10 into the Choate but not quite all of the way. I had replaced the thick plastic recoil spring retaining endpiece in the magazine with a flat washer instead and can now seat 10 rounds in the mag.

For the 18.5 incher, I think the 7 is the one you want.
Old August 7, 2001, 08:49 PM   #5
addecus

11-87 mag extension

Ron, (or someone who has installed one)... What type of minor modification(s) needs to be done when installing a 10 round extension on an 11-87 ? TIA.
Old August 8, 2001, 12:10 PM   #6
hksigwalther

If you have a recent Remington product, the endpiece at the end of the magazine is retained by a plastic insert in the magazine. That insert is held in place by a couple of small bumps stamped into the stock magazine. If you want to install an extended magazine, these bumps will have to be filed or ground flat, flush with the magazine wall. They would otherwise prevent any rounds from getting past them and into the extended magazine.

When the bumps are ground flat, more than likely it will leave small holes where they use to be. This isn't too big of a problem as they are too small to cause any structural failure.

If you get the TacStar, the end of the magazine is a solid metal piece (with a hole) that is somehow attached to the mag body. Difficult to modify. The Choat is an open end with a plastic insert about ΒΌ" thick. The end of the mag body is curled inward to prevent the insert from coming out. My trick was to find a washer about the same diameter, or even slightly smaller, that wouldn't go through the hole at the end of the mag. the washer, being considerably thinner than the plastic insert, gave me just enough room to cram in 10 rounds.

I've never tried the Scattergun Tech mag.