The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 1, 2001, 07:28 PM   #1
Jim March

Does anyone convert vintage 27s/28s to 8-shot .357?

C title...I have no qualms about buying an old S&W N-Frame S&W and having it converted with an 8-shot cylinder, if any reputable gunsmiths are doing this. There's a good 8-shot speedloader now available for the Taurus 608 that should work, or we could switch to moonclips.

I saw an ad on gunbrokers for a "Smolt", a custom model 28 with a Python barrel . Converted to 8-shot, man, that'd be slick .

Jim
Old August 2, 2001, 07:04 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Jim, you might try Cylinder & Slide. This sounds like something they might do. And if they don't they might know someone who does. George
Old August 2, 2001, 06:26 PM   #3
Daniel Watters

Baumanize in NY state once performed 7-shot .357 Magnum conversions on the M27/M28, but the company disappeared around the same time that Taurus introduced their large frame 607 (pre-608) and S&W introduced the 686+.

RPM/Prest Precision in Arizona made an eight .38 Super conversion for N-frame revolvers, but it represented more than just a change in cylinders. The gunsmith Charlie Prest started with a standard S&W N-frame revolver, stripped out nearly everything, offset the barrel axis and firing pin slightly higher, machined a new 8-shot .38 Super cylinder from 17-4 stainless, fit a BarSto barrel blank, and reworked the action to around 7 pounds. (This is the Reader's Digest condensed description, BTW.) The full-house IPSC conversion was once quoted around $2,000. Unfortunately, I have heard reports that Mr. Prest no longer offers gunsmithing services.
Old August 2, 2001, 09:27 PM   #4
dewey

1996/'97 M627PC 8 shot

I have one that I love and picked up AsNIB for
$650 which is about half what it would cost to have a custom one made up AND it's stainless.
Good Luck...dewey

...and He will come again . . . SOON !