The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old July 31, 2001, 07:27 PM   #1
automainea

what gun does texas rangers carry?

what brand and calibar do they pack?
Old July 31, 2001, 08:44 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

The Sig Sauer chambered in.357 Sig is "Official". I've seen Rangers carrying other guns, mostly 1911's.
Old July 31, 2001, 09:36 PM   #3
Lightsped

Well, I know Walker carries a Beretta 92FS.....
Old July 31, 2001, 09:57 PM   #4
Walosi

Ed Sanow (if my CRS hasn't got me again) wrote an article on the Texas DPS decision to switch to the .357 Sig. They went over the history of the several officially approved cartridges in their very extensive files, and chose the .357 Sig because of the ballistic similarities to the .357 Mag. The .357 Mag, as they put it, was simply the "most destructive" round in their shooting history, and their existing P226 could be converted easily. Individuals are still allowed to carry the sidearm of choice (from the approved list) but the acceptance of the converted 226s had been good, at the time of the article.
Old July 31, 2001, 10:00 PM   #5
Herr Walther

...and his partner carries a Walther P5.
"...a historian asked what had happened to the German people for them to accept a criminal government. Unfortunately, nothing needed to happen. In nations across the world people accept government crime."
-------------------------------------
"In democracies as well as dictatorships, subordinates illegally obey their rulers. Subordinates who remain true to their oaths of office by opposing their rulers are rare."
Old July 31, 2001, 10:24 PM   #6
9x19

Walosi,

The Texas DPS issued the Sig P220 in .45 ACP for a short time following the S&W revolvers in .357. They switched to the .357 Sigs from the .45...
Old July 31, 2001, 10:52 PM   #7
juliet charley

9x19 -

Actually, they switched from the Sig P226 in 9 mm or the Sig P220 in .45 ACP (the individual trooper could pick either one). It is my understanding the .45 ACP was by far more popular with the troopers. The major problem cited with the .45 ACP was lack of penetration. (I love some of the threads talking about how overpenetrative the .45 ACP is.)

The Texas Rangers have always been given a great deal of latitude in their selection of a handgun (though I believe they were issued to standard DPS weapon--seems like most of the had a 686 in the trunk). The most popular choice by far has been been 1911 though I knew of at least one who carried a .44 Magnum.
Old July 31, 2001, 10:53 PM   #8
Walosi

9x19:

I have no direct knowledge of the DPS issue guns or their sequence, other than the article I mentioned. Sanow wrote informational sections, and interviews with DPS people involved in the cartridge selection, and all through the article mentioned "issue P226". He did quote their comments of several of their cartridge histories, and said they were surprised and disappointed by the .45acp in their own experience. Now, I'll again mention my own CRS, and defer to anyone experienced in the matter, but I cannot recall what caliber the 226s were being converted _from_, except that at the time I thought it would entail a new barrel, mags, springs and breech block. Whatever the case, their switch to the .357Sig justified my own opinion that it was a viable cartridge, and I find myself lusting after a 239 rigged for it.
Old August 1, 2001, 09:53 AM   #9
Dave T

Just a note of clarification. The Texas DPS and the Texas Rangers are not the same orginization. DPS is the Department of Public Safety (the state's Highway Patrol). The Rangers were the original state police force but are now like a state CID (Criminal Investigations Division). Although many of the Rangers come from the ranks of DPS not all Rangers come from that orginization.
My friends and relatives in Texas tell me the Rangers answer directly to the Governor while DPS has a Director in overall charge.
Old August 1, 2001, 10:18 AM   #10
Ala Dan
Member in memoriam

I don't know why?

the Texas Rangers got away from the Sig P220. It
is undoubtedly the finest, out of the box auto-loader currently available to LEO's.
Some like to claim they can't shoot it because
of it's high bore axis, and other's find fault
with the finish; but when all is said and done
once you master the P220 and use a little TLC
the beauty seems to marry the beast!!!

Of course, the use of a little TLC is of no
concern when John Q. Public is paying for your
weapon; ANY kind'a weapon!!! I ran across a
federal agent one time that was carrying a Sig
P229. This marshal was a member of the "special
operations" segment based in Louisana. Low and
behold, his P229 actually had rust covered grip
screws, due to lack of maintenance.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life MemberMOLON LABE!!!
Old August 1, 2001, 11:42 AM   #11
Zander

"...the Texas Rangers got away from the Sig P220."

One word: capacity!
Old August 1, 2001, 12:27 PM   #12
LawDog
Staff Emeritus

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/directo...texas_rangers/

The Texas Rangers have been a division of the Texas Department of Public Safety since 1935. Texas Rangers are chosen from the ranks of the DPS.

LawDog

Bona na Croin

The LawDog Files
Old August 1, 2001, 12:54 PM   #13
don't shoot it's me

'What gun "do" Texas Rangers carry'
Old August 1, 2001, 01:13 PM   #14
branrot

Regarding Walker, Texas Ranger, I believe he actually carries a Taurus, which is a copy of the Beretta. I've been told that Trevett actually carries a P5 compact, but I cannot confirm that.
Old August 1, 2001, 03:35 PM   #15
jadams951

Dave T

You are so wrong. The Texas Rangers are part of the Texas Department of Public Safety.
Old August 1, 2001, 09:07 PM   #16
LawDog
Staff Emeritus

The Rangers that I've known all carry some form of the venerable M1911A1. Beretta had a short run of special edition (either 92 or 96) pistols made up for the Texas Rangers and I've heard that one or two Rangers carry those.

I'm sure that somewhere there are Rangers carrying the SIG P229/.357SIG, but I haven't met them yet.

I was told that as long as the Ranger could qualify with his pistol, the Senior Captain didn't care what he (or she) carried.

LawDog

Bona na Croin

The LawDog Files
Old August 1, 2001, 09:24 PM   #17
Jhp147

Rangers carry....

The Rangers are indeed the CID of the DPS. Twenty or so years ago, there were only 94 members as an authorized strength. The DPS is not just the Highway Patrol, but also has Driver's License, License and Weight, Safety Education Service, and couple of others I can't recall. They have the same uniform, but the patch color differs and the patch has info on which part of the Department of Public Safety to which they "belong." Same color schemed cars/pickups, all really just a state police.
What they carry....I don't know if they are issued anything in particular, but I have with my own eyes seen them carrying a Sig 220 (after the switch to .357 Sig by DPS), a Browning Hi-Power (stock looking except for ambi-safety) and about 4-5 versions of 1911's, but that was years ago. Each of the 1911's had fancy engraved metal looking grips, a couple with a slotted star badge like the Ranger's. In EACH case, the weapon was carried in a natural tan colored, flowery like design tooled leather gun belt, hung low on one side, with lots of shiny silver and gold on the buckles. The trouser belt, of course, matched. They had quite a bit of latitude at one time, but don't know if that is still true.
Be very wary of believing something just because Ed Sanow says it is true. The 226 and 220 were both issued, but I never saw a trooper carrying anything but a 220, as Juliet Charlie accurately reflects. I would have to have some real proof that the 226s were converted to .357 Sig. Seems like one of the head DPS gurus told me at a seminar that they were TRADING the 226s for whatever number the .357 Sigs were (are) at the time of the switch.
Old August 2, 2001, 03:47 PM   #18
HET
Registration in progress

Is there some place you could see what they are allowed to carry from they approve list. Curious to see the list.
Old August 2, 2001, 05:36 PM   #19
Gonzo_308

I don't care what gun they carry. Where do they get them COOL Hats? Maybe it's the lil' kid in me but you aint a Ranger in my book if you aint got the cool white hat.
Old August 2, 2001, 06:19 PM   #20
Walosi

Gonzo:

The way I hear'd it, y'all ain't no Ranger in Texas, nuther, less'n you got one of them thar hats
Old August 2, 2001, 07:53 PM   #21
contender4040

Their "issue" weapon is the sig 226(357sig). Was told that DPS went to that calibre still looking for 357mag performance. All of the rangers that I have met carry the 1911 with the exception of one who carries a 2 1/2" python.
Old August 2, 2001, 09:03 PM   #22
LawDog
Staff Emeritus

http://www.resistolhat.com/felt.htm

First one on the page.

Those are silverbelly hats, not white hats.

LawDog

Bona na Croin

The LawDog Files
Old August 3, 2001, 06:50 AM   #23
Dan Morris

Rangers ARE part of DPS. Every one I knew befor leaving Texas
carried a 1911 in 45.
Dan
Old August 3, 2001, 07:54 AM   #24
bobs1066

There may be some creative reminiscence happening in my head, but I would swear that I once saw a Ranger packing a Peacemaker.
Old August 3, 2001, 02:32 PM   #25
rock_jock

You guys are all wrong! I live in Texas and can set the record straight. The Texas Rangers carry Louisville Sluggers. They used to report to the Governor, but that was back when he owned the team. Capacity has never been an issue - they are only allowed to throw one baseball around at a time. And while their lineup of pitchers can toss some good fastballs, they have never been able to penetrate a human body.