The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 23, 2001, 10:45 AM   #1
Solitar

Parts for Intratec Tec-9 or DC9

Is Intratec still making weapons or parts? If not, where can I get parts like an operating handle, bolt, striker spring, firing pin, and other stuff that gets wear or damage.
Why a bolt? Cuz the previous owner of a Tec-9 here tried a hot reload that blew the bolt back hard enough to break off the operating handle. They had a "gunsmith" put drill and thread the bolt for a hex-head machine bolt - it works as a handle but no longer as a safety like on a DC9.

P.S. Since I have lots of 9mm ammo and only a box or two of .223, I'm thinking of trading my Mini-14 Ranch w/scope for a Tec-9 with barrel extension,compensator, three 32-round mags, and soft case. I figure both are worth about $450. Yes, the 9mm is not a varmint rifle but the Mini-14 is not a tack driver either. For a long range target gun I'd be better off with either a really accurate .223 or a .243 (for which I have ammo but no gun since I sold it).

PPS - anywhere that I can find out when a serial # in the low 1xx,xxx for Tec-9 was made?

Last edited by Solitar; July 23, 2001 at 12:24 PM.
Old July 24, 2001, 01:54 PM   #2
Solitar

I took both the Tec-9 and DC9 apart to clean the former and compare them. It looks like most or all of the parts are interchangable. The older Tec-9 does have a worn firing pin (blunted compared to the sharper DC9 firing pin). Any sources for these or springs in the after market?
Old July 24, 2001, 08:24 PM   #3
blackdragon

tec9 parts

Parts for tec's are advertised at http://sksparts.com/ and http://www.e-gunparts.com/ .

I've seen them elsewhere, but didn't bookmark them. I have a tec-22, and they are harder to find accessories for...if you ever see any, email the url to me

btw: I have not dealt with either company.

blackdragon
Old July 25, 2001, 10:31 AM   #4
Solitar

Blackdragon, thank you for those links!
http://sksparts.com/ looks to be quite expensive for many items - especially for those where there are only a few left. Presumably these are all new parts from Intratec's stock and may be worth the premium. $45 for a striker and $25 for a firing pin! Then again, if I was selling something in demand but which is no longer produced and in very short supply - I'd charge a lot too.
http://www.e-gunparts.com/ is a lot cheaper, especially on firing pins BUT since on parts they are out of they state: "We frequently purchase new & used parts from many sources." I wonder if the lower prices reflect used parts such as $15 for a firing pin. This is especially a factor on the firing pin since I'm getting a light strike on a few percent of factory ammo - perhaps due to a blunted, rounded firing pin (as compared to the one in my DC9 which has been jam and misfire free).

Are there any other parts that folks here feel are wise to get extras of besides firing pin, extractor, & operating handle (both outfits are out of stock on recoil and striker/firing pin springs).
Old July 25, 2001, 10:43 AM   #5
blackdragon

tec parts

Truthfully, with the prices they are charging, picking un a NIB postban for spare parts starts to make more sense.

I've seen a collection of tec22 parts (7 or so) sell on ebay for over $100, and there was no firing pin included.

Not sure what else wears on these guns...only put 200 rounds through mine so far.

blackdragon
Old August 15, 2001, 10:41 AM   #6
blackdragon

tec parts

Any chance you have found another vendor of tec parts? My buddy just blew out the firing pin on his tec 22...

blackdragon
Old November 10, 2011, 02:28 AM   #7
THETERRIBLETHREE

Tec 9 and Tec-22 information

Hello friends, Intratec has been out of business since 1996 due to their gun being used in the Columbine School shooting. What does this mean for all of us gun owners out there ? Well it means that they are no longer manufacturing parts and they are getting hard to find. The metal that Intratec used for all of its parts was of a poor quality and that is why the firing pins break as well as why the cocking handle/safety break. Eventually those 2 parts as well as a few others will break on you over the life of the gun. After Intratec went out of business sksparts.com bought up all the remaining parts that were left in stock and used them as samples to give to the machinist in order to remake them with quality materials once their patents were no longer valid the parts were made by a company in Illinois called www.sksparts.com. They have remade the firing pin as well as all other parts out of quality steel or aluminum to replace the sub-par O.E.M. parts. The only parts not being made by them is the upper and lower receivers, bolt body, striker and sear. These parts do not break unless tampered with so the only ones they had left are the ones left from the Intratec bankruptcy which is why those parts are a little expensive do to extremely low availability. But being those are the only parts left in the world I find the prices very fair. I have been selling gun parts for over 15 years and I buy Intratec parts from them to resell at gun shows. Numerich and gunpartscorp are not selling the new parts they are selling the old used parts that sksparts.com sold them from the left over Intratec stock. So you get what you pay for cheap parts that are old and not of high quality or you can buy new parts made of good material. www.sksparts.com also gauruntees there parts and will replace the part or refund the money should there be any issue. Also all their parts are in stock ready to ship and they are pretty quick on the shipping 3 to 5 days. So if you need Tec-9 or Tec-22 parts I would buy from them as they guaruntee their products. Hope this helped anyone who needed the info.