The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 21, 2001, 11:16 PM   #1
AJW8875

opinions on S&W model 410 in .40 S&W?

Looking to buy a slightly used S&W model 410, but I'm looking for some feedback from any who may have experience with this gun. It comes w/ 15 round mags and the asking price $295. Good deal or no? Will be an "all purpose" gun: house, range, possibly CCW.
Thanks!
Old July 22, 2001, 08:00 AM   #2
Cougar

S&W 410

is part of their 'Value line'. They went through thier 'normal' 40 cal pistol and found ways to lessen the cost of its manufacture.

The sights are fixed.
The recoil spring guide rod is plastic.
The slide was machined differntly to eliminate unnecessary operations.
They come in a matte finish to eliminate the costly buffing, polishing and bluing.
They don't have ambi safties.
The trigger mating surfaces aren't polished as well making trigger pull worse.

They're OK for a no-nonsense defense gun, but that's about it. They're the handgun equivelent of the Remington 'Express' series of shotguns.
Old July 22, 2001, 10:43 AM   #3
J. Parker

Welcome, AJW8875 to TFL. As Cougar said they are an "economy" line of handguns. IMO, there're good, solid pistols. I had two M457's which were the 45 cal version. They were very reliable, lightweight, and good pistols for concealed carry.
Now the downside. The first M457 I had was before S&W sold us out so I got a pretty good price for it. The second one was after the sellout and I couldn't get squat for it. A gunshop offered me $200 bucks! IMO, if you ever plan on selling it or trading it you're going to get hosed. Trade-in value will be horrible. Just my thoughts, J. Parker
Old July 22, 2001, 12:58 PM   #4
thebaldguy

I have a model 410 that I bought new a few years ago. I like it. It's lightweight, reliable, and ok for accuracy. It's not a tack driver, but it shoots accurate enough for me. I don't think that the magazines you mention hold 15 rounds. I was unable to find any pre-ban magazines that hold more than 11 rounds, and even the 11 round mags were $30 more than the 10 round mags. The trigger pull is getting better with use, and you can buy some aftermarket springs to lighten it up. Might be a good deal if you can get the price down a few bucks. As Cougar mentioned, it's part of their Value line, and I believe the design is similar to the 4006, only about half the price.
Old July 23, 2001, 01:44 AM   #5
jmstr

I've had my 410 for about a year now. As was mentioned above, the stock 'hi-capacity' magazine for this pistol was 11 rounds [and the pistol was called the 411]. Any 15 round magazine I would be suspicious of, and would probably look like my 10 round magazine in my Ruger P97-sticking out the bottom about an inch.

The good news is that, new, they sell on the shelf for around $450 average retail. The early generations of the 410 had some issues that caused some to call it a 'jam-o-matic', but the 3rd generation [latest one] was redesigned, and they contacted that Novak guy [I forgot his first name: famous for sights and gunsmithing] for advice on improvements [which they ACTUALLY followed!]. As a result, it is [in my experience] a very reliable pistol that should always go bang when you want it to, and won't until then. It is a great duty/defensive pistol, but it is NOT a competition pistiol in it's stock condition. As for CCW, it is not the best, but it is possible to do. It is not a small pistol, so it is not as compact for CCW as a Glock model 27 [or is it 26 that is the 3.5"barrel .40 cal?], but it is better than a full-sized 1911 [only is size to conceal] or a full-sized CZ/HK. For CCW, I would rather have something a little smaller than my model 410. But the 410 is my house defense pistol.

As far as accuracy, personally, I am a MUCH better shot with my 9mm pistols, my 22, my 357 or my 45. I don't know if this is because of me, or if it is because of the caliber, or if it is the model 410 pistols fault [I have never fired a different 40caliber pistol for comparison]. It will give you reliable center-of-mass shots, but it is not a Sig/HK/or CZ in accuracy [from my own questions and knowledgable responses]. I am the first to admit I am NOT a good shot. I enjoy trying, but I am not good at it yet. The 410 takes more work to get the same accuracy as the others I own, but there are at least three possible reasons for that [me, me, and me. oh, and caliber, fatigue, and pistol (nah, it's me still)].

To be completely honest, if I had to do it over again and knew what I now know, I would use that $295 to save as the base of a CZ75b or a CZ40 [75 is MORE accurate than the 40]. You can order them from CDNNINVESTMENTS [or many others] for around that price, or buy it new off the shelf for about $70 more. I like my 410, but it doesn't 'do' anything for me. I only have two reasons I haven't replaced it: I can't afford to buy anything else yet, and the self-defense issue. If I have to use a pistol for self-defense in my house, the police will undoubtably confiscate it [I live in California] until they determine it was self-defense and legally owned. If there is a screw-up and I don't get it back, I DON'T want to lose my $1000 Wilson or Kimber, or [pick your high-end pistol] when I can lose a very reliable $400 S&W. I can afford to replace the 410 a LOT easier than a high end Kimber, etc.

I am rambling. Take my information for what it's worth [not much]. I DO like my 410, I just don't LOVE it. I like the inherent feel of my Baby Eagle [9mm] or my Ruger P97 a lot more, but I am confident my 410 won't ever let me down. I can't give resell-ability opinions, because I honestly don't care too much. I buy it to use it, not to store for resale or collectors' interest. This is not a dig at anyone else, I just can't give any feedback on that point.

Good luck, and good shooting!

jason
Old July 26, 2001, 10:19 PM   #6
AJW8875

Well, thank you all for your great input. I have taken it all into account and am happy to say that I am now a Glock owner(21 in .45). At least now I know where to go for great advice. Thank you all again!
Old July 26, 2001, 10:52 PM   #7
J. Parker

AJW8875; Good choice. The G-21 should serve you well. www.glocktalk.com is a great place to browse if you're a Glock person. Good Luck, J. Parker
Old July 26, 2001, 11:22 PM   #8
AJW8875

Thanks J Parker.....Been at glocktalk.com for the past 2 hours....its great!
Old July 26, 2001, 11:51 PM   #9
Richard

I shot a range rental 410 about three years ago. I am partial to just about any handgun but this was a POS. It was hard to hit paper at 10 yards with this 410. After this experience would I buy a 410? Not hardly, I would buy a S&W 457 instead as the ones I have shot have been good solid performers. Regards, Richard
Old April 28, 2009, 06:30 PM   #10
tpareloader

I have had a model 410 for about 2 years and it has been great. I replaced the guide rod and added hogue rubber grips and 3000 rounds later she's just beginning to hit her stride. Great value gun.

Old May 2, 2009, 05:35 PM   #11
harry carey

once upon a time while working in a range a customer wandered in who had sold his 40S&W gun and gave me 200 rds of gold dot ammo since we had been nice to him. we soon closed for the day and the three of us working decided to stay and shoot that ammo. I suggested we take all the 40S&W rental guns in and see which one was the most accurate. all three shot them all. I did not expect the S&W 410 to outshoot the rest but it did with all three of us. it also was the only one of these guns to not break while in the rental inventory. the only problem with the CZ 75's was the slide stop pins which broke too often. real life is much different than real BS. we often actually tested products there, the three of us ,who no longer work there that is. you can only go so far on BS. Bobby Rosengarden used to say ... "you know one day when you are telling the conductor how great you can play he's gonna' say ' shut up and play' "