The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 21, 2001, 11:14 PM   #1
Adventurer_96

How do you store your "stuff?"

How do you organize your brass, hulls, powder, etc?

I just bought a bunch of ammo cans, Brit surplus, to try and organize all of my brass I've collected over the years. As I reload, these cans will become my long-term storage for the rounds after they've been placed in individual plastic reloading boxes or into "recycled" new ammo boxes and trays.

I use a couple of big Tupperware bins for my shotshells, and when I reload them they go right back in the boxes I bought them in.

I don't have enough powder yet to REALLY worry about storage, since it's less than a pound of whatever I'm using for shotshells at the moment, but I've thought of buying a locking cabinet of some sort, like a steel or wood one from Home Depot (we can buy at Lowe's again, right? ). I've also heard of using old refrigerators for powder/ammo storage, but it seems to be against the safe handling/storage instructions in most pamplets.

Just curious, as I'm considering the plunge into serious reloading in the near future for handguns and rifles.

Check Six.
Old July 22, 2001, 01:40 AM   #2
Archie

Sounds like my plan.

Ammo cans for most of the brass. Most office supply places sell self sticking labels. Label the end that faces out, of course.

You may have to make shelves. High enough for ammo cans and that deep. You might check office supplies for "Rigid Rack", a modular shelf system. Little spendy, but will hold a buffalo.

Around here we have 99 cent stores. Lots of plastic psuedo tupperware with lids. I keep a lot of my reloading gear in them, with dessicant.

I like the refrigerator idea. Powder in the refer side, primers in the freezer side. The one I have doesn't work anymore, but does keep temp and humidity fairly constant. Plus, it is reasonably fireproof, and won't turn into a bomb if the powder ignites.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old July 22, 2001, 05:28 AM   #3
yankytrash

I keep my powder and primers in one of those smaller sized, 2'x2'x2', Sentry safes. It's fireproof. I'm not worried about spontaneous combustion, but I want it protected against a fire in the rest of the house. Also, it's small enough to be thrown out a window in case of a fire.

Although most wives may not allow this, I keep shotgun shells in one of those older style galvanized garbage cans in my reloading room. I have the empties and loaded rounds separated in 2 different garbage bags. I've got too many to keep them in smaller containers. (I shoot a lot of skeet with my friends - probably have over 2500 rounds of 12 gauge)

The brass goes into large coffee cans (we drink a lot of coffee around here). I keep them labelled by stage of reloading, ie. 'Cleaned', 'Sized', 'Champered', 'Primed', etc. Once they're loaded they go into a well-oiled ammo can in the gun safe. I've got enough room in the safe for about 6 rifles and 20 of the larger (M16 magazine storage) ammo cans. That leaves plenty of the safe's shelf-space for pistols and gun accesories.

Not a bad system. I've enough room for everything I need, but in small enough spaces to force me to stay organized. I've got a couple small kids around here, and I have to keep 'shiny things' inaccesible.

You know, kids are funny. Since all the reloading and shooting supplies are inaccesible, my kids took to collecting the spent primers that were all over my bench and the floor. Just goes to show you that you have to keep them out of reach.
Old July 22, 2001, 08:34 AM   #4
ArmySon
Staff Alumnus

There are some useful items at the dollar store Tupperware containers.

Since I load some of my ammo in HUGE quanities, MTM cases for all of them is out of the question. I store the excess in stackable tupperware containers.

Likewise with brass and bullets.
Old July 22, 2001, 11:00 AM   #5
C.R.Sam

A stranger might think I have a refrigerator museum. Tip....do not store powder in a reefer with mechanical latch...could buld enough pressure to go bang instead of just burn. My powder reefer has magnetic strip door which would vent readily. Tupperware rules.

Nuther tip......vacuum cleaner that sucks through the bag better and quieter for gettin the primers off the floor. Orick type gets real noisy with dead ones and really interesting with the occaisional live one.

Sam
Old July 22, 2001, 01:51 PM   #6
Swamp Yankee

Brass is stored in Ziploc baggies with a label visible to the outside for identification. This is kept in large plastic containers under the loading bench.
As for tips, powder, and primers I built an ammo locker out of a Homak gun cabinet I had out grown. Used 1X8's and built adjustable shelving for the inside. It's now easy to tell how much of what I have just by looking inside. The top 3 shelves are for reloading materials, and the remaining shelves are each dedicated to a particular caliber. One for 9mm, one for .308, one for .44 mag, you get the picture.
One problem with the small Homak, my ammo supply is already out grown it just like the firearms.
Take Care
Old July 22, 2001, 02:18 PM   #7
Shooter 973

Store stuff

I watch the hardware store ads and when large plastic (heavy duty) tool boxes are on sale I pick up one or two for around $6 or $7 and they will hold a lot of stuff and are handy to haul around. plus they have a latch on them that a lock can go through easily.
The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
Old July 22, 2001, 07:22 PM   #8
Dan Morris

I use 50 cal and 20mm Ammo cans.
Dan
Old July 29, 2001, 04:12 AM   #9
Peter M. Eick

I store my dirty brass in small garbage cans.

Clean brass goes in coffee cans labeled by caliber, and # fired.

Reloads in MTM boxxes (litterally thousands of them, I will post a picture some time).

Powder on the top shelf. Primers by themselves on top of the safe.
Old July 29, 2001, 08:56 AM   #10
WESHOOT2

SERIOUSLY......

I use my primers to lift my ashtray to the correct height on my bench while working; I stack my gunpowder cases for sitting; bullets are stacked in original boxes on shelves or unboxed in Dillon bins on my bench; cases are stored in coffee cans, bags, boxes, brass-sifters, or just rolling around on the floor.

I hate getting cigarette ashes on my primer flip tray.

------------------------------------------

"all my ammo is filthy-factory ammo"
Old July 29, 2001, 10:32 AM   #11
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

Since I'm faced with the problem of 110+ ambient temperatures, my best "cool, dry place" is inside the house. This just means I'm careful about protecting against any fire hazards, but it's worked okay for many decades.

My wife's manufacturing operation supplies wooden boxes to the world of decorative painting ("Tole"). Her "factory seconds" come in just real handy.

Art
Old July 29, 2001, 04:28 PM   #12
Hal

Sam,
'nuther tip. Wife with Orick type is the noisiest of all . (I dunno, I always thought that since I was the youngest in the family my mom and pop were married,,,evidently my wife has other ideas about it )

On topic: Paper bags. Cheap, easy to mark and easy to replace.
Powder- Loose in the original container on top of an old dresser in the computer/guy/reloading/spare bedroom place. (No kids, and the grandson is too young to get in, so loose is fine at this point)
Old July 31, 2001, 03:20 PM   #13
Yanus

I'm partial to large metal coffee cans with the plastic lids. One large can will hold 500 .357mag rounds loose. Ditto on the 50cal ammo cans. I keep threatening to buy some of those plastic 20mm cans. They are larger and a whole lot lighter! I keep primed brass in ziploc bags as well. I also carry large freezer bags in my range bag to put my empties in after shooting. Is it just me or are we beginning to sound like "hints from Heloise" here? LOL!
Old August 1, 2001, 07:48 AM   #14
Gator

My reloading buddy and I keep all our brass in large plastic rectangular plastic boxes we found at Wally World. We keep the clean stuff in the red boxes. The uncleaned brass is found in the green boxes.

We keep the projectiles in the desk (it’s one of those old battleship desks) with all the dies, and equipment in other drawers. Works out nice.

Primers are kept in the closet on the other side of the house in a large box with plenty of room. Powders are kept in my closet on the top shelf by themselves.

Gator
Old August 6, 2001, 12:03 AM   #15
blades67

I keep the brass in plastic 30# kitty litter tubs, Loaded ammo is kept in MTM ammo boxes. Powder and primers are kept in metal lockers with padlocks on them. Bullets are kept on the reloading bench shelf under the press.

I hunt, therefore I am.
Old August 6, 2001, 12:38 PM   #16
Nanaimo Barr

a vacume tip, picked up one of them little "shark" (Omega) hand vacs.(box shows it sucking up bolts) got a little bag, shoulder strap and a short hose and cord, cost me $24.00 at Wally World, keep it hung next to the bench, good suction, and if a primer goes boom in it it's not a major loss.. real handy for spilled powder, primers etc etc

NB
Old August 7, 2001, 11:59 AM   #17
Poodleshooter

Hulls are seperated by type into grocery bags. After cleaning, cases are sorted by headstamp and placed into freezer bags or ammo boxes, depending on need. Powder is stored in original containers on an open shelf, and primers are stored in a box in a different location. Bullets and misc small reloading equipment are stored in Plano organizational drawers (the ones you put screws and nails in).
Old August 7, 2001, 05:31 PM   #18
Bogie

Those 10 and 14 gallon Rubbermaid tubs for tools and stuff... Then I've got a bunch of .30 and .50 cal ammo cans - Usually the .30 cal for holding bullets, and heavy stuff, and the .50 cal for holding loaded rounds... The big green MTM "hunting" boxes are good for shotgun shells, loose brass, bulk loading... When filled with .223, however, they're really too heavy to be lifting, since the top can break.

I've got several toolboxes, and a 5' folding table that goes to the range... A dolly with wheels is also VERY important.

Powder stays in the jugs until used, and the jugs tend to just sorta fill up rubbermaid containers... BTW, if you've got any 8208 lying around that you don't want, e-mail me with the lot number...

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old August 12, 2001, 01:54 PM   #19
mbott

The better half has been buying Electrasol dishwasher detergent in 12.5 lbs. buckets. Has a lid that seals great. Will hold a bit over 1,000 pieces of .223 or about 500+ pieces of .30-'06.

--
Mike
Old August 13, 2001, 03:30 PM   #20
Steyr

For what its worth:
The Explosives Branch of Natural Resources Canada,suggests personal quantities of powder and primers be locked in a wodden container that WILL come apart fairly easily should something ignite.
I think the concept is less pressure build up,therefore less 'explosive'force.
Consider smokless burning in a small pile in an ashtray,then confine the same amount in a cartridge...whaddya get??