The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 8, 2001, 12:11 PM   #1
Drakejake

Smith and Wesson CS45 Chiefs Special

Do any of you have experience with the Smith and Wesson Chiefs Special in .45? This seems to be the smallest, lightest .45 with double action/single action. Most of the small autos are DAO.

Thanks,

Drakejake
Old July 8, 2001, 01:08 PM   #2
PreserveFreedom

Unless I am mistaken, the CS45 is a DAO pistol. Have you seen one that wasn't?

Old July 8, 2001, 01:15 PM   #3
Drakejake

Smith and Wesson CS45

Smith and Wesson describes the CS45 action as "traditional double Action." Other pistols in their product line are described as "single action" or "double action only." So I believe the CS45 is double action, single action.

Am I wrong?

Drakejake
Old July 8, 2001, 02:29 PM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

My experience with the one CS45 that I've shot wasn't positive. It functioned just fine, but it's severely ergonomically challenged. Feels like a brick in the hand, doesn't point naturally, and has really funky recoil characteristics.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 8, 2001, 03:23 PM   #5
StephenT

The CS45 is DA/SA. I used to own one, and had a similar experience to Mike's. While the gun performed just fine, it wasn't very comfortable. I wasn't very accurate with it, although the poor grip could be to blame. You won't enjoy a gun that isn't completely comfortable, so try handling it first. Personally, I think the Taurus PT145 is a better package, with 10 rounds compared to the CS45's 6 shots. The Millennium's trigger is something I can live with.
Old July 8, 2001, 06:41 PM   #6
PreserveFreedom

Wow. I had no idea that the CS45 was traditional capabilities. I was just going off of their website that describes the hammer as "bobbed". DA is definately more appealing than DAO, IMHO. If you pick one up, let us know how it is.

Old July 9, 2001, 01:15 AM   #7
Bruce Foreman

I had one briefly.

I had a 4013 that had something out of alignment so bad the barrel "tilt down cam" surfaces were shaving aluminum from the frame cam guide surfaces big time. They replaced the frame once and were going to replace the frame a second time and I said no to that.

Told them to destroy the gun if that's all they could do to try to fix the problem.

The 4013 was out of production so they sent me a CS45 in stainless and aluminum alloy as a replacement.

I probably should have kept it; it shot just fine, was lightweight and easy to carry (even fit some holsters I had), recoil was not bad, and I even bought some used .45 8rnd mags that worked great as spare reloads. Basically I liked it, but that design just never did fit my slightly smallish hands.

It is Double Action first shot, Single Action for the rest until decocked with safety lever. Bobbed hammer was no problem for me as with traditional double action I train to do the first shot out of the holster that way anyway, and have no trouble transitioning to single action thereafter.

I just found and purchased another 4013, a Colorado State Patrol model. Silver satin aluminum alloy frame with blued slide and night sights installed. Two tone effect looks sharp and the whole pistol has nicely radiused edges (Not a sharp edge or corner on it except for the sights!!)

I think this one is a production overrun on the Colorado contract and it had no real wear, not a mark on it and just may become my primary carry pistol.

Back to the CS 45...If it fits your hand it is not a bad compact lightweight .45 at all.

Bruce Foreman

"I Glock...Therefore I am..."
Old July 9, 2001, 11:04 AM   #8
Russ

I loooked at them when they first came out. This pistol did not fit my hand well at all.
Old July 9, 2001, 11:51 AM   #9
gunny6

I tried the Taurus PT 145, it arrived after a long wait. Shot 70 rounds through it and sold it. Trigger was too much for me.
My dealer showed me CDNN`s ad for compact Smith & Wesson 45`s. They have the CS-45 and the 4553TSW at super blow out prices. I went for the 4553. It`s now my favorite carry 45, really a nice little pistol. You guys are right about Smith auto grips fitting no one, but a set of Hogue`s will fix that.........
Old July 10, 2001, 09:25 AM   #10
loknload

CS.45

I have one and I'm not all that crazy about it. Even though it fits my hand, it don't feel right. I also wasn't to crazy about the trigger pull either. But all that said it is a light weight carry pistol,though I don't carry it If I was going to trade a pistol for something this one would go.
FWIW and I hope it helps
Old July 10, 2001, 01:20 PM   #11
Richard

My CS45 needed a trigger job in a bad way. How bad? Bad enough to effect my shooting. The pistol got the trigger job and I would stake my life on it performing. It is a lot fatter than it looks. How do I know? I use a Galco Fletch P220 holster to tote mine. The CS45 comes with Novak sights and if you get it for under $400 with three magazines it is a hard pistol to beat. Regards, Richard
Old July 10, 2001, 06:19 PM   #12
Drakejake

Under $400?

How can you get a new, stainless CS45 for under $400 with three mags? The best price I have seen is more than $500.

Drakejake
Old July 10, 2001, 10:39 PM   #13
Richard

Try CDNN in Texas. If you really want to get ****** I gave $325 for mine new and it came with three magazines and a neat plastic case. My CS45 is matte blue but that doesn't bother me in the least. No, there no more. Where did I get mine? Shirley's, you will see their ad in Gunlist on occasion. Regards, Richard
Old July 11, 2001, 12:08 AM   #14
BigMike

Held one in a shop a couple of weeks ago, Yuk! BRICK, and no ergonomics at all IMO.

Mike
Old July 11, 2001, 12:52 AM   #15
jrp

Paid $420 for a new stainless in Jan 00. Only
came with 2 mags. The gun fits me fine. Fit
and finish are good, but function leaves something
to be desired. The slide fails to go fully into battery
every 10 rounds or so. This after 250 rounds of
hardball through it. I want to break it in some
more before sending it back to S&W.
Old May 18, 2008, 09:29 PM   #16
Phil Kozak

My CS45

My CS45 is blue. I didn't get any extra mags with it but, I only gave $300 for it. I don't have large hands but, I like the feel of it. My son is starting to come around and is getting accustomed to the grips ever time he handles the gun. I find the gun very comfortable to carry with an Uncle Mikes inside the pants holster. #8912-1 Size 12. With a slightly baggy pull over shirt it's unnoticeable and thats what it's all about. If it's not unnoticeable and comfortable It's not worth carrying!
Old May 19, 2008, 03:03 AM   #17
2cooltoolz

WOW!!!
Talk about a resurrected thread!!
Congrats on your CS45! I think they are great guns!
I LOVE my CS45!!! Fits my hand great, great pointability, almost no muzzle flip, really controllable recoil for its size. Quick sight aquisition, easy double taps, super accurate for a sub compact.
I know those posters are outa here, but it is a TDA or DA/SA with a decocker/safety. I like that because even though I don't carry in "Safe" mode, you can load first round after cleaning, etc., and the hammer stays uncocked. I like that when at home with family. My SIGS have decockers, but when loading from mag on first round, you have to decock. I've never had a mishap or AD with a SIG but it's on my mind in the house.
The trigger pull is slightly higher than my TDA SIGS, I would guess 12# DA and 6# SA.
Out of about a dozen autos that I own, my CS45 is one of my favorites. I just wish it was as thin as my Kahr. Then I would carry it more.

Old May 19, 2008, 08:49 AM   #18
Spenser

I love mine. I'd agree it's not the most egonomical pistol that I own, but I like it. I've actually owned two, and traded the blued version.

It's pretty darned accurate. No problems with the thing at all. Recoil is very manageable. it rides somewhat high, almost the same bore axis as a Sig (all my sig holsters fit it, oddly enough).

I have always liked 3rd gen smiths, and I like the double action-single action with a safety and decocker setup. It's light enough to pack comfortably, even in my Galco ankle holster (though it works better in a belt holster). Mag disconnect is kind of a nice thing with small ones in the house, insurance-wise.

But they are good buys out there in the used market. I gave $600 for the pair of mine, if you can believe that. I love cheap guns. Price, not quality, that is.
Old May 19, 2009, 07:06 PM   #19
MoreCowBell

Thread resurrection- shoulder rigs

I have a CS45 that is my favorite carry. I've never been able to find a good leather shoulder rig that lists it as a fit.
Anybody got any ideas?
Old May 19, 2009, 09:16 PM   #20
Shadi Khalil

I wanted one for the longest time, until I handled one. Like Mike said, its like a brick in your hand. Just holding it in the shop I found myself adjusting my grip over and over. I do tip my hat to S&W, thats a real small .45 that from most reports functions quite well.
Old May 19, 2009, 11:20 PM   #21
2cooltoolz

WOW! Resurrected again!! And one year after the last time I posted on this thread! (To the day, Central time).
I still love mine. Still one of my favorite pistols. I have since purchased an excellent used P245 that is similarly sized and I love taking these two, plus my P220 to the range and rotating them. They each have a really different feel, and to me the CS45 is the easiest with which to shoot multiples quickly. I honestly enjoy shooting it more than the other two, but don't tell the others .
It is really blocky and when I want something larger than my PM9, I carry the P245. It just carries and conceals better. The P220 is the most accurate for slow, aimed fire, but too big for me to carry comfortably.

But I do love my CS45 and recommend them highly, though I have heard a lot of people say they "just don't fit".

Old May 19, 2009, 11:32 PM   #22
2cooltoolz

And in reference to your shoulder holster question, I think the CS45 is the same frame size as the S&W 457, which was produced in higher numbers. The CS has a shorter slide and grip.
I'm sorry that I'm not certain of that info. Don't remember where I got it.
You should email a couple of manufacturers and find out if they can recommend a part number, then (if you don't want theirs) backtrack from there to see what other pistols use the same holster, then see what else is available for that pistol.

Sorry I couldn't be more help...

Last edited by 2cooltoolz; May 20, 2009 at 06:53 PM.
Old May 20, 2009, 04:43 PM   #23
MoreCowBell

Thanks 2cool, that's helpful.

I have a Galco Jackass on the way for my Glock 27. I'll see how close it is for the CS45. They share several holsters already but I wouldn't want to stretch it so the Glock isn't secure.

If that doesn't work I'll try one made for the Smith 457, I found a couple on the net, Triple K was one I think, Ross was another.

I'll probably start up a new thread on the subject once I get used to the Jackass, if I really like it I'll plunge for something for the Chief. I'll also email Galco for their input if I like the Jackass. And do like you said, back that up into other makers.
mcb
Old May 20, 2009, 07:29 PM   #24
laktrash

I have a couple compact 45's sig p245, bersa uc 45. I wasn't happy until I got the p245. love it. I saw a blue cs45 on local sale web caught my eye really like the da/sa decocker so I bought it. I took the range love every thing about it grip, recoil amazed at accuracy. Bought a another one (stainless) 2 weeks later now have kramer speed scabbard and kramer iwb. I still love my p245 also have 220. but the CS moved to front of the line. Either you love or hate em' I love mine

Last edited by laktrash; May 20, 2009 at 07:35 PM.
Old May 20, 2009, 09:08 PM   #25
MoreCowBell

Yeah it's all about your hands. I have medium size hands, size 8 or 9 glove, but my fingers are small and short and my palms are big and wide. The CS45 fits me great.
Shoots straight, good double tap with the da/sa, and I really like the safety features-the decocker and the long heavy da first shot. Also the mag release safety is very cool.
I feel much more comfortable with it then my Glock or even my KelTecs.

I checked Kramer and they list some holsters for the CS45 but alas no shoulder rigs.

But I might check out their IWBs when I lose a couple pounds
mcb