The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 3, 2001, 08:45 AM   #1
Ruben Nasser

Best aftermarket trigger for AR15?

My new Olympic upper (24" match bull barrel, 1 in 10" twist) is awesome!! I've got 1/3 MOA groups with factory ammo! And, TShoes, the measured velocity is up at least 100 fps from another (bushmaster, 1-9") 20" barrel. Now I want to change the horrible trigger for something better, yet easy to install (I live in Paraguay, and there are no qualified gunsmiths around here). I would like to get a good, clean, and field proof pull of about 3.0 to 3.5 lbs, not too light because I also have a CQB 16" iron sighted upper. This rifle is heavy with a lead counterweight in the stock and the 6.5-20x50 scope, but recoil is nil and follow up shots are a piece of cake.
Old July 3, 2001, 09:05 AM   #2
Nathan

If you are fairly mechanical or knowledgable about how the AR15 trigger works, I would think you could install the CLE or Jewell Triggers. I have the CLE trigger in my gun. Pull is set for highpower pull weight, but the feel is great! Try www.compasslake.com. The Jewell is supposed to be another great name, but I have no experience.
Old July 3, 2001, 11:36 AM   #3
M1911

Decide first whether you want a single-stage or two-stage trigger. Most of the AR15 triggers are two-stage designed to be used for CMP/NRA Service Rifle competition, which requires at least a 4 1/2 lb pull.

Among the Service Rifle shooters, the consensus seems to be that the best trigger is the Milazzo-Krieger trigger. Unfortunately, it appears to be made from Unobtanium, as it is quite expensive and I'm told there is a long waiting list. I've had good luck with Armalite's 2 stage National Match trigger -- I have it in three guns. I've heard good things about the Jewell trigger as well.

I didn't install the Armalite triggers, I had gunsmiths install them. But I'm told it was pretty easy. YMMV.

M1911
Old July 3, 2001, 02:04 PM   #4
WalterGAII

If you're not going to be in competition that requires a two-stage trigger, you might want to consider the JP Enterprises trigger/hammer combo. I'm not a gunsmith, but have installed four or five of the JP sets, with no problems. You get a pull of around three pounds, with adjustable creep and overtravel. This is a single-stage, Remington-like trigger pull.
Old July 3, 2001, 03:56 PM   #5
Monkeyleg

I can't speak to the other triggers mentioned here, but the Milazzo-Krieger trigger did wonders for my AR. Installation was fairly straightforward after reading the directions a zillion times. The rifle went from shooting 1"+ groups to under 1/2". The cost was $175, but that was back when they first came out; I don't know what the price is now.
Old July 3, 2001, 05:30 PM   #6
Ruben Nasser

Thanks guys!!

Is there a durability or safety advantage in using a 4.5 lbs. two stage trigger over a lighter single stage one? My AR15 has to do double duty with a CQB 16" carbine upper as well.
Old July 3, 2001, 05:36 PM   #7
pwiz

A lot of people around here have gone to the Jewell trigger for competition AR's. I have tried one, it was very nice, and you can get it down to one pound or less. Supposed to be easiy to install.
You should contact Jewell and find out the details.

pwiz
Old July 3, 2001, 06:04 PM   #8
johnwill

I don't shoot my AR's in competition, but I put the Rock River Arms 2-stage competition trigger in one of them for $82. It breaks like glass and comes in right at 3.5#, I can't imagine wanting much more in an AR. It's also child's play to install, and drops right in to any AR with standard sized pins. I'm going to get another one for one of my pre-ban Colts, beats the hell out of a factory trigger!
Old July 3, 2001, 06:04 PM   #9
Wild Romanian

Best aftermarket trigger for AR145?

I currently have a Jewel Trigger. I cannot recommend it highly enough. I have it set at 1 lb. pull weight. I cost me $185.00. It is fairly easy to install and it will work with your rifle's safety. I am a national match shooter and my scores went up dramatically in both standing and slow fire positions. Previously I had a JP
enterprises trigger which unlike the jewell two stage trigger is a single stage and could only be set down to about 3 1/2 lbs and it took me 7 hours to properly fit the sear to the safety so the safety would work. The JP trigger cost me $125.oo. Both triggers are readily available. The Jp trigger is a good one but the Jewel is the far better trigger for competition. W.R.
Old July 3, 2001, 06:12 PM   #10
rock_jock

I installed a single-stage trigger from Accuracy Speaks two weeks ago. It works well but required major fitting. Total time to machine the trigger bar and disconnector (and multiple iterations of reinstalling to check fit) was close to six hours. Not worth the time. If I had to do over, I would have picked up a different single-stage or a two-stage trigger.
Old July 3, 2001, 08:14 PM   #11
WalterGAII

I wouldn't argue with the opinions expressed regarding any of the trigger brands mentioned here. However, I'd hate for anybody who might be inclined to use the JP Enterprises trigger/hammer combo that it's normal to take 7 hrs. to fit the safety to the trigger bar. (The sear has nothing to do with that fitting exercise) Takes me about twenty minutes.
Old July 4, 2001, 06:43 AM   #12
Wild Romanian

Best aftermarket trigger for AR145?

Sorry about my mistake of saying it was the sear that I was fitting to make the safety work. I meant to say it was the tail end of the trigger. JP furnishes a complete set of instructions on how to do this and it was about 5 years ago that I fitted this trigger. It is definitely not an east trigger to install if your safety does not work when the trigger is first installed. You must proceed very slowly removing only a little metal at a time form the rear of the trigger. Take to much off and the safety will not work. This involves installing and reinstalling the trigger each time you stone or file a little bit of metal off of the rear of the trigger. A time consuming chore at best. My advice is if you have the money buy the Jewel. It installs much more quickly, the safety will work and the trigger is fully adjustable down to a very low pull weight. I again highly recommend it. W.R.
Old July 4, 2001, 11:11 AM   #13
johnwill

It took me about 15 minutes to install the Rock River Arms 2-stage trigger in my gun. push the old pins out, position the new parts, and drive the new pins in. The only oddity is that they use oversize pins that are tighter than the stock pins, so you can't just push them in with your finger, you actually have to tap them in. Since they mention the oversize pins several times in the instructions, I assume they have a reason for using them. I like the fact that the pin won't be rotating in the lower, and the wear will all be on the pins, hammer, and trigger, so it's OK by me.
Old December 15, 2009, 03:44 PM   #14
ARenthusiast

AR Gold best AR 15 trigger by far

I have been testing several triggers with a trigger force reading machine which gives out a graph of the exact translation of force transmitted by the trigger during its travel. The AR GOLD trigger is by far the best trigger on the market right now. It is a completely new self-contained trigger assembly which is designed differently than any before. Not only is it the lightest and most crisp trigger I have used, but it also has a drop-safe secondary sear which ensures it's field ready durability and unprecedented safety standards.

I would be hard pressed to use any other trigger than the AR GOLD. If you look at all of the most recent wins such as the 3 gun nationals, the top competitors are all using the AR GOLD trigger.
Old December 15, 2009, 05:00 PM   #15
HJ857

Another fan of the Jewell. A very nice feature of the Jewell is the adjustability of the 2nd stage. You can go very light for target, and then turn a screw to get a much heavier release for cqb style competition use, if that's applicable.

I went with the Jewell for exactly that adjustability and haven't regretted it. I set my over travel and first stage once and have never changed them, but adjust the 2nd as needed. Works great.
Old December 16, 2009, 01:09 AM   #16
Tim R

I shoot AR service rifles for National Match or High Power. I have 2 rifles one with the RRA 2 stage the other with a Geissele 2 stage. The rifle with the Geissele is my go to rifle while the rifle with the RRA is my backup rifle and/or loaner. (mostly a loaner)

The Geissele is adjustible for 1st and 2nd stage pulls. It even has an over travel adjustment. The Geissele can be found at

http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/index.htm

A little spendy maybe but it also comes with a handy pin alinement tool, oil and grease. The instuctions are easy to read. There might be a small amount of metal removal on the safety to get it to fit.

The Grissele trigger is sweet and pulls way better than the WOP tuned RRA.
Old December 16, 2009, 06:31 PM   #17
nbkky71

I guess no one noticed that this thread dates back to July, 2001.