The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 26, 2001, 11:21 AM   #1
COREY CARSON

Reloading questions for Ruger No. 1 V

I just got a Ruger No. 1 V in .22-250 with some of the original grease still on it for a good deal, so now I have a new toy to relaod for. I am wondering if anyone knows the twist on a ruger in .22-250 so i can determine how heavy a bullet I can stabilize. Also, I was wondering if I should neck size only or full length resize for it.
Old June 26, 2001, 03:48 PM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

I seem to recall the .22-250 rifles I've worked with having a 1 in 8 or a 1 in 9 twist.

Very easy to test, though.

Put a cleaning rod (preferably one on a swivel handle) in the bore with a tight fitting patch so that it is well engaged with the rifling.

Mark the rod at some convenient point, say where the rod enters the action body.

Also, put a mark near the handle.

Slowly but steadily push the rod into the bore -- you want to watch the mark near the handle to make sure that it starts turning immediately -- until the mark you've made on on the rod near the handle has made one complete revolution.

Mark the rod again, using the same reference point on the action.

Withdraw the rod, and measure between the start and finish marks. The distance in inches is your rifling twist rate.

As for the sizing, that's something you're going to have to figure out for your gun. You may be able to neck size only, you may have to full length size.

Given that there isn't a lot of camming force to help start the shell into the chamber, I'm betting that you'll have to full-length size.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old June 26, 2001, 08:18 PM   #3
pwiz

Getting the rifling twist with a cleaning rod is not dificult. Just put a patch on the rod tip, mark the rod at the handle and measure how far the rod goes in for a complete revolution. As far as sizing, neck sizing usually gives greater accuracy, but hot loads may have to be full length sized. Keep a check on the case length and trim as needed after mutiple reloadings.

pwiz
Old June 26, 2001, 08:23 PM   #4
biganimal

corey
I own 3 number 1's in 6mm PPC, 22-250, 375 H&H and I neck size only . I start with factory ammo , fire it down range then use the brass to reload for that gun only.