The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old June 25, 2001, 09:38 AM   #1
Riss

Where to get Savage 10/110 receiver for project gun

Looking for pasrts gun/receiver barreled or not for project gun buildup, long range custom job. Any one have any ideas where I could start looking ?
Old June 25, 2001, 12:15 PM   #2
Rob01

Riss, if you don't mind me asking why a Savage action for a custom gun?
Old June 25, 2001, 01:42 PM   #3
BAD_KARMA

I don't know the guy but I would guess he wants one becuase he does not have one.

why ask why
Old June 25, 2001, 02:26 PM   #4
Karsten

Did you try calling directly to Savage? They may sell you one through an FFL.
Old June 25, 2001, 02:53 PM   #5
Bogie

They don't seem all that eager to... The person to ask for is Effie/Custom Shop.

I'd ask again - Why customize a Savage. Or a Remington, for that matter... You're NOT gonna get your cash out of it when you trade it for something else - You may be able to improve it somewhat, but not a great deal...

An action costs about $300-400. Cleaning it up brings the cost up to about $5-600.

For $900, you can get a Viper from Jerry Stiller that is a TRUE custom action, takes a Remington trigger, etc...

I think that Rampro wants something like $600 for their actions...

Of course, I'm going to use a Savage action as the basis for a cruiser-weight varmint gun, but that's because I picked it up for $200 (and added $150 to square everything up), and I wanna see the looks on the faces of the custom rifle shooters... Besides, since I'll be using a barrel block, the action doesn't really have to do all that much.

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old June 25, 2001, 03:17 PM   #6
Rob01

I only asked why because there are alot of better actions which are more easily made into accurate long range guns. By easy I mean better parts are made for them and more smiths work on them. Look at it as if you were building a custom car, would you pick one that barely anyone builds custom parts for? No of course not. I don't know the poster so I don't know if he was just told by some friend, who has a Savage hunting rifle that he likes, that Savage is the way to go.Maybe he doesn't know about others? That's why I aksed. Personally if I were building a gun from receiver up I would go with a better custom receiver with the minimum I'd use being a Remington 700 action but I'd rather have at least a 40X. I was just trying to help him not bust on him. Actually his best bet would probably be to go to Wal Mart and buy a Savage rifle if he really wants the action because usually actions cost almost as much as a whole rifle. Check Brownell's also, www.brownells.com
Old June 25, 2001, 03:37 PM   #7
Michael

Alittle fun math just because

Savage action from pawn shop.................$249.00
Truing the action............................$115.00
Replacement trigger..........................$ 59.95
Sharpshooter Supply Custom barrel,
you choice contour and caliber, stainless....$226.00
Stock, Sharpshooter Supply Synthetic
with forend similar to HSP PST25.............$226.00

Grand Total................................$ 875.95

A decent price for a custom rifle that will shoot with
anything else built from a rack grade action.
Old June 25, 2001, 11:03 PM   #8
Karsten

Okay...think about this. Buy an 10Fp shoot it and see if you like it. I just bought a never been fired with scope, mounts, and a Harris BiPod for $425.
I can tell you where to get a Winchester Model 70 in .308 that is a Tack driver for about $750 and it has a great stock, Harris Bipod, 4x16 scope and if it is still there I will buy it back.
You want a custom gun, I wont ask why....the the Savage it gonna shoot 1 MOA or less out of the box. Remington 700 the PSS, The LTR and even Ruger......how good are you?
Wanta good head to head with me with this

Just an out of the box statement. The weapon was sent from the factory better than most shooters can shoot them.

Just me, gues I lost the sign off button

Karsten
Old June 26, 2001, 05:06 AM   #9
Riss

The reason why.......

At most, cost of gun at WalMart $360, action trueing $time and labor, new heavy barrel $200, good scope already have, new trigger $75, Choate stock $100 Still under the $750 mark for an extreme heavy barrel tack driver. Take another $100 or more off for a used gun or bare action and parts.