The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 12, 2001, 10:36 PM   #1
dundee

spreader loads for skeet

does anyone have any experence with using spreader loads for skeet? I'm thinking of using a couple of long barreled full choke shotguns for casual skeet shooting. (casual=commercial range non registered). I know this is great justification for buying another gun but my gun safe already bulges and my wallet seems to have other priorities.

If anyone has anything good to say about spreader loads I might order some of the Ballistic products spreader wads and try to reproduce a good 12 ga. load
Old June 13, 2001, 12:27 AM   #2
Gary H

Check Out Reply by Alvin

http://www.shotgunsports.com/cgi-bin...498&startnum=1
Old June 13, 2001, 09:33 AM   #3
Bud1

I cannot access the link above, but can comment on the use of spreader loads for close shots with a tightly choked shotgun.

I shoot competitive sporting clays, and usually have either a .25 or .30 choke in my Beretta 390 all the time. Keeping a tight choke helps me to focus better on the targets, and the black clouds of smoke when I am "on" are real confidence builders.

Occasionally in a tournament there will be a pair with 1 target in close (25 yards or less), with another "out there" a ways. I have used Fiocchi Power Spreaders with much success on the close shots through a tightly choked gun. If you can roll your own, then the cost should be negligible. Remember to keep the load fast to help the pattern open up quickly.

Good luck,

Bud