The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 5, 2001, 03:03 AM   #1
ReserveCop

I'm trying to select the best so-called "tactical" flashlight to carry off-duty along with my handgun.

I carry a rechargeable Stinger on duty...but I think it is too large to carry off-duty.

I believe my best three options are:

1 -- Streamlight "Scorpion"

2 -- Surefire "6P"

3 -- H.A.L.O. (new from Gall's)

Does any TFL member have direct experience with the above flashlights?

Are there any better options I have not considered?

Where can you get the best price online on "tactical" flashlights.

Do you currently carry a flashlight along your legally concealed handgun?

Thanks for your opinions.

Old June 5, 2001, 05:08 AM   #2
PreserveFreedom

Mini MagLite - $10 at any Wal Mart includes batteries, 2 bulbs, and a nylon sheath. At that price it is expendable as well as dependable. It can also be used as a kubaton. Removing the top cap will illuminate a whole room.

Old June 5, 2001, 08:54 AM   #3
Onslaught

I used to like MiniMags, until I saw the output of my Streamlite Scorpion... I've never looked at flashlights the same way since...

I like the Scorpion personally, but a lot of folks prefer the SureFire. I still think it's more like "Beretta over Taurus" rather than a quality issue.

Scorpion is PLENTY bright, dependable, rubber coated, INEXPENSIVE (Less than $40) and can be carried in a pocket without risk of it coming on accidentally.
Old June 5, 2001, 09:01 AM   #4
VictorLouis

I own both one and two.

You will get a LOT of input regarding the 6P; however, I firmly believe the Scorpion is a better value overall. Reasons:

Rubber coated for a more positive, and temperature 'neutral' grip. Important consideration in the rain and climatic extremes.

The FULLY-ON setting does not require the use of two hands! Just depress the momentary switch a little more firmly.

Adjustable beam allows for some degree of flexibility when needed. Contrary to Laser Products propaganda, you STILL have a sharp bright beam when it's fully focused.(No dead spot.)

Spare bulb included. Have you priced one for the Surefire lately? When do you think that bulb is gonna go? When you're near your squad car, with the spare in your gear bag?

You KNOW which one is cheaper to purchase. http://www.botach.com has had good prices on them both.

I am not familiar with the Gall's product.
Old June 5, 2001, 10:19 AM   #5
Redlg155

Either the Surefire or the Stinger will serve you well. The only downfall of the Mini Mags are that they have the twist cap type activation rather than a push switch.

Other than keeping a flashlight in the car for emergencies, I don't carry one when carrying concealed. It's far easier for me to avoid dark places than have the added bulk of carrying a flashlight. In the car I have a Maglight D cell type. Plenty of light and it makes a nice head cracker if I need to resort to that!

I think It would be interesting to see who carries flashlights here...hmmm..I wonder if the guys who say they routinely carry a USP SOCOM .45 Auto concealed in a belly band with three extra mags also carry a Maglight 6 D Cell battery flashlight to compliment. It would only make sense eh?:

Good Shooting
RED
Old June 5, 2001, 10:31 AM   #6
Mark THG

I own both the Streamlight Scorpian and the Surefire G-2 (same as 6-P but it is a polymer construction)
The G-2 is a better light overall. Better construction, less chance of the switch breaking, better seal with O ring, better light output, ability to change the lamp assembly to a high ouput lamp and double the light ouput (1/3 the run time).On the other hand for non Professional use the Scorpian is a great little light for casual use. The light ouput is not as clean (more yellow) as the Surefire though the brightness is almost the same. The G-2 from surefire also weighs less than a scorpian. Only down side to the lithium powered lights is battery cost. Lithium battery's at retail are expensive running in the $9.00-$12.00 price for (2). Surefire also makes a rechargable adapter for the 6P or G-2 lights that give you equal run time, almost the same output but they double the size of the light. The scorpian rubber body is "sticky" if in a pocket and I have had hard time "drawing" it from a pocket.
I have seen (2) of the Scorpian tail switches fail and leave the light turned on and could not be turned off. The Surefire switch is not a real switch but pushes the battery freward to contact the lamp assembly so there is nothing to break.It can also be asjusted fro tactile feel to your preferance. I use the Scorpian as a general purpose light that I can hand to someone if they need a light. My Surefire being more expensive I keep close at hand. I also owned the Stinger XT and now own the Surefire 8NX commander. The same basic things apply to the 8NX. It is a better light than the Stinger though the Stinger had a larger "hot" spot than the surefire. It did also have a large black center spot that no matter how I focused or changed bulbs I could not get rid of. Surefire lights have a nice central light beam with absolutely no black center hole that a manually focused flashlight will have. The 8NX is also very cost comparable to the Stinger XT as it comes with (2) battery's and a fast charger and (2) charger cords for A/C or D/C use. If you hunt on the net you can find the *NX for about $100.00 complete. If you have a retailer that has both products I would look around and try to feel each of them.
Old June 5, 2001, 11:55 AM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

I love my Surefire P6.

Light, small, and un-freaking-believably bright.

You can blind someone with it even in daylight.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old June 5, 2001, 12:17 PM   #8
greg c

I like a light that is small enough to throw in my pocket- the surefire E1 works best for me. You lose some candlepower because it uses only one battery but it lasts for 1.5 hours per batt change vs. 60 min in the 6p version.

Botachtactical.com has good prices but has had some people crying because of hit and miss service.
Old June 5, 2001, 09:13 PM   #9
Jeff OTMG

I use a 6Z and am quite happy with it.
Old June 5, 2001, 09:49 PM   #10
M16

I own the scorpion and 6z. Both are good lights but I would have to give the nod to the 6z. By the way I bought 36 lithium batteries from Botach for $3 each. I have heard problems with their service but have had no complaints after several orders. Most people advice to make sure they have the item in stock or do not place the order.
Old June 5, 2001, 10:16 PM   #11
Clark Kent

Anyone know the difference between lumens and candlepower? The Scorpion puts out 6,500 candlepower, while the E1 Surefire promises 60 lumens. I'm wondering if a lumen equals 100 candlepower.
Old June 5, 2001, 10:37 PM   #12
Jody Hudson

UKE 2L Underwater Kinetics flash light

My favorite, after having had all of the small and powerful lights is the UKE 2L which is nearly identical to the Scorpion in size and brightness but nearly weightless as it is made of strong plastic. It runs about $25. I purhased mine from http://www.willeyknives.com They may still be able to get them.

I was unable to find the light in a search here on the net.

It has the 2 lithium cells and is turned on by screwing the lens cap. It weighs little more than the batteries and is the smallest of any available as far as I know.
Old June 5, 2001, 11:31 PM   #13
Coronach

Well

I carry a 9Z on duty and LOVE it, but I prefer the Scorp off duty. Why? That danged tactical-on cap on the 9Z is great- in a holster. But no matter how far off I back the endcap that puppy will work its way to ON in my pocket.

They get HOT, too.

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old June 5, 2001, 11:31 PM   #14
Kentucky Rifle

I guess that I'll...

..eventually buy one of those "Surefire Execuitive" models with the single lithium battery, but I'm a little surprised that nobody has mentioned the "Photon Microlite". The Photon 2 has two wafer thin lithium batteries that makes it good for about 10 hours of very bright light. It weighs only .5 oz. and you can keep it on your key chain. The off/on switch of the "2" works well and the "bulb" is a little LED that is guaranteed never to burn out. I carry two of the brightest models. A narrow beam white on my Swiss Army Knife keyring and a wide beam turquoise on my regular keyring that lights up the whole room.
(And, it really does! No exaggerations.) They're really neat little lights to have around.

KR
Old June 5, 2001, 11:44 PM   #15
ReserveCop

Any feedback on the new H.A.L.O. tactical flashight from Gall's?

Thanks for your opinions.
Old June 6, 2001, 02:07 AM   #16
TCW

The Scorpion works well for me. Well constructed, bright and a great value.
Old June 6, 2001, 07:07 AM   #17
ohen cepel

The Surefire E2 Executive is great!
It's the same as mentioned earlier but with 2 batteries in it, much easier to hold. Also, much easier to use since it has the butt-cap mounted switch.
Expensive, but worth it!

I'm in a situation where it is a vital tool and I really appreciate the quality.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Old June 6, 2001, 07:28 AM   #18
Captain

I carry a Surefire 3P. It's half the size of the 6P and is plenty bright!
Old June 6, 2001, 11:02 AM   #19
ruger357

I have a Streamlight Scorpion I like.
Old June 6, 2001, 08:52 PM   #20
mikey357

I prefer the "Streamlight Scorpion" for civilian CCW....mikey357
Old June 6, 2001, 11:01 PM   #21
Coronach

Photon II Microlight

They rock. I have one on my keyring...but IMO its not bright enough for 'tactical' applications.

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old June 7, 2001, 01:07 AM   #22
Phillip

I have to agree, the Photon 2's are great lights for general purpose use. But, for CCW the Scorpion or G2 are the way to go. I like my Scorpion better than the G2, for reasons pointed out above.
Old June 7, 2001, 06:16 PM   #23
Gonzo_308

You got a permit for that?