The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 31, 2001, 04:39 AM   #1
CassandraComplex

I am thinking of getting an HK USP Compact. I am wondering if any of the pre-ban full capacity magazines are available for the 9mm Compact or the .40 compact?
Does anyone know which ones are out there for sale? I don't recall seeing any HK USP Compact mags for sale, ever. Did the compacts come out after the "high capacity" mag ban?

Thanks

"A `common-sense' approach to gun violence in America would be to ban handguns,"
- Josh Sugarmann, executive director of the Violence Policy Center, (Washington Post, March 2000)
Old May 31, 2001, 05:30 AM   #2
40BOY

As I understand it, all the HK Compacts came out after the
94 ban, so there are no hicaps available for non LEO/Govt.
Hicaps are available for full size USP 9/40, but they're not interchangable with the Compacts like the Glock 17/19 or 22/23.
Alot more HK info available at
http://www.hkpro.com
Old May 31, 2001, 06:45 AM   #3
jadams951

40BOY has got it correct.
Old May 31, 2001, 01:25 PM   #4
Mikul

I have found them, but at around $125 each. I think it would be cheaper to carry another USP.
Old May 31, 2001, 04:11 PM   #5
Mike H

This issue seems to go on and on.

Officially ALL the compacts came out after the magazine ban, and yet I know of at least one person who has 3 13 rounders for the 9mm. I don't know if :

a) They are "illegals"; or
b) They are adapted from other mags (as is the case with 9mm hi-caps for the Beretta Cougar for example)

For the record, I think the USP Compact, especially in .40S&W is an extremely capable pistol, hi-caps or not.

Mike H
Old May 31, 2001, 04:32 PM   #6
rocko

I don't believe there are any legal ones available - I've seen hicaps for the full size at around $100-$125. However, I have heard reports that you can put 12 rds of 9mm in a .40 mag and have it work just fine - the mag body is identical. Of course, that would be illegal, and if you ever needed to use the gun in self defense could potentially get you in hot water.

Brian
Old May 31, 2001, 05:36 PM   #7
branrot

I've actually seen 13 round factory USP 9mm compact mags (though never in .40). They do exist. They go for around 100-125. I'm not sure if they are pre-ban (the story being that some were manufactured and imported before the ban and before the gun was even in final production stages) or if they are illegally made (ie, made in the US illegally and stamped HK) or are illegal imports (legit HK mags made legally in some other country after the ban, but imported into the US illegally).

While I love my USPc 9mm, it might be easier to just go for one of the fullsized versions.