The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 20, 2001, 06:51 PM   #1
Clark

I had these confused with USA loadbooks in the half hieght spiral notebook one caliber format. USA are just the same old data repackaged for more money.

Loadmaps are the best loadbooks I have [and I have most of the loadbooks ever written].

What is so great is that the pressure and velocity for each .2 gr of hte work up with each brand of bullet.

http://www.midwayusa.com/online/prod...Search#1000116
Old May 20, 2001, 09:19 PM   #2
Steve Veltrie

The MIdway Loadmap's are great!! Can't wait till they come out with one for the 40.
Loadmaps and Accurate Arms reloading manual are the manuals I use the most.
For the $$ spent the Loadmaps are great!!
Old May 21, 2001, 02:34 AM   #3
George Helser

Clark,

Watch out for the overall lengths in the Loadmap.

For example: I am loading for an HK Mark 23 with Hornady XTP 230 gr bullets.
Loadmap instructs loading the 230 gr XTP bullet to an overall length of 1.275". The problem is the max OL for an HK Mark 23 (the barrel is made to SAMMI specs) with this
bullet is about 1.230". So, the loads listed will not chamber in my pistol and the manual advises "Reducing cartridge overall length increases pressure greatly".

Midway stands by their loading data but said I could return the manual. I ran into two other customers who said they returned their Midway Loadmap manuals.

Be very careful!

Regards,
George
In sunny Arizona
Old May 21, 2001, 04:42 PM   #4
Clark

I used some Remington Match 185 gr FMJ in .452". If I seated them at 1.275", they will not chamber in any of my 45s.

The barrel took a trip to the lathe with a 29/64" drill increased the freebore untill the 1.275" OAL round fit.

But I do see what you mean. Midway's chamber must have been throated very long.
Old May 21, 2001, 05:29 PM   #5
griz

I like them.

It is an education to compare different bullets of the same weight and see how the pressures vary. I would have liked to see all the powders for each weight bullet but I guess you can’t have everything.
Old May 22, 2001, 12:34 PM   #6
tstr

They are great books, no doubt about it. Not the same old info repacaged either. But, it looks like they are discontinuing them.

Tstr
Old May 22, 2001, 03:20 PM   #7
ZeusOne

Yes, Midway is discontinuing the LoadMaps.

I have all four,and there is some great info there. I too have had problems with the 1.275 OAL loads in .45 ACP JHP, but then this OAL can be found in other manuals as well.
Old May 22, 2001, 03:38 PM   #8
leapfrog

I found some of the 45 loads exciting to say the least, producing more recoil than factory +P loads, while being shown as standard pressure. Some of the charges listed for HS6 and Universal are much higher than those listed in any other manuals that I can find. I also agree that you have to be careful with the OALs in the 45s. The 45 map seems to be very liberal while the 9MM leans to conservative.