The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 14, 2001, 07:09 AM   #1
Mikke

I have a friend who have a S&W 617 (.2 revolver) with a wide target trigger. While the trigger is nice when shooting single action, it isn't as good for DA shooting.

He is now considering changing trigger to a narrow one (standard), but neither he nor I know how much, if any, fitting will be needed if he gets a new one.
Is this something that can be done by an amateur, or is it best left to a pro?
Old May 14, 2001, 07:51 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Mikke, have your local smith do it. You may or may not be able to just change them out. Chances are it will require some work. George
Old May 14, 2001, 12:08 PM   #3
Dfariswheel

I second George. If you want a better idea of how this is done, get a copy of Kunhausen's S&W manual.
Old May 15, 2001, 01:52 AM   #4
Mikke

Ok, if there is fitting to do it's better to leave it to a real smith.

Thanks!
Old May 15, 2001, 11:09 PM   #5
Dfariswheel

Many S&W triggers will drop in without any fitting at all. However, there are many that need some fitting. There's were the rub is. Improper fitting can mean an unsafe gun, or one that will malfunction. Unless your an expert or are willing to spend the time to become an expert, best leave it to a pro. I would suggest contacting S&W to either do the job, or recommend someone in your area. I'm 'hinky' about letting just anybody do this kind of work. The cost of a new trigger and the labor to do the job shouldn't cost an arm and a leg. Better to get it done right the first time, costs less too.
Old May 16, 2001, 03:11 AM   #6
beemerb

MAybe another option.My 19 has all the t's on it.THe wide trigger has grooves in it.Simply grind the grooves off and polish it.Makes double action shooting a lot better with the wide trigger.Try it and I think you will like it.
Old May 17, 2001, 02:24 AM   #7
Mikke

Well, no grooves on his trigger, it's just wide, double the width as the standard trigger, but smooth.
Not impossible to shoot DA with, but not as good as the one on mine. And grinding it thinner isn't a option I think, looks like it's cast, and the back of it isn't solid.

Anyway, he has decided to keep it as it is for the time beeing, but maybe change it in the future.

Thanks for replies!

/Mikke