The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 8, 2001, 12:48 PM   #1
CITADELGRAD87

I'm considering ordering some unfired military pulldown brass, but need to know if Lake City M118 Special Ball Brass is "Lake City Match Brass," I think it is, but am not sure.

BTW, thanks to all here for the advice, I have loaded my first 40 7.62 rounds at various charges, looking for a sweet spot before I load in bulk.
Old May 8, 2001, 04:08 PM   #2
Troy

M118 used to be the match load before the military got approval to use the Sierra MK for sniper loads. They now call the Sierra load the "match" round, and changed the name of M118 to "Special Ball". The difference, in other words, is politics, not technical specs.

Actually, though, I don't believe that there is any difference between "standard", "special ball", and "match" brass other than headstamp, but once-fired match or "special ball" is more likely to have been fired in a bolt gun, so it won't have been stretched as much as ammo fired in the M60.

-Troy
Old May 8, 2001, 07:29 PM   #3
HankL

M852 Match 168 gr hp. not cool to shoot folk with due to the Geneva convention. M118 Special Ball 172 gr fmj cool to shoot folk with! The brass will most probably be Lake City and it will be more than fine. The ammunition is excellent so I would assume that the brass is. The only problem purchasing the brass in this manner is you will have to trust the person that pulled it down. M118 is headstamped
like any other ammo "LC yy Nato Pukeie"
HTH
Old May 9, 2001, 07:56 AM   #4
Pampers

M852 LC Match Brass

has a canalure around the base of the case. In my experience, it is more uniform than run-of-the-mill ball brass.

Yr. Obt. Svnt.
NRA Golden Eagle
Old May 9, 2001, 01:28 PM   #5
riverdog

HankL -- The Army got a legal reading on the use of the Sierra 168 gr bulet for use in warfare and it's good to go. The Gold Match HP design is not designed to expand so doesn't meet the Geneva or Hague conventions criteria.

BTW, I bought 2000 cases from CMP while they had them. That should last me quite a while.
TFL#6357
Old May 9, 2001, 05:42 PM   #6
Cheapo

Here's the deal.

In the .30-06 days, Match brass had no primer crimp and was manufactured in special runs, with the machines operating a bit slower, and the result (based on inspections) resulting in brass that was more consistent in weight distribution and more concentric in the neck.

Sorry, I don't know how much.

I have also read that, at least for late 50s/early 60s Frankford Arsenal (FA) brass, the head area/primer pocket was "bumped" in the final finish-forming operation twice, instead of once. The intent and effect was to ensure more perfect formation, with a bit of work-hardening so the casehead was a bit harder and would last longer in reloading.

Yes, military marksmanship units were expected to reload at least some of their brass.

SPECIAL BALL, on the other hand, uses regular old brass. Primer crimp and all, just like NATO spec stuff.

On the firing line, it had a reputation for being noticeably less accurate than traditional "Match" ammo.

Sorry, I've never been able to test this, and have seen no reports of any measured differences in accuracy.

I bought a bunch of M80 ball brass and sorted out the 2/3s of the lot from the middle (calculated +/- 1 standard deviation from the mean weight). Chamfered the flash holes and trimmed 'em, and loads from that brass were right at 2 inches at 200 yards from the bench and using iron sights.

The Special Ball brass will last longer than M855 with that annular ring of longitudinal cuts in the case body.
Old May 9, 2001, 07:28 PM   #7
HankL

Quote:
SPECIAL BALL, on the other hand, uses regular old brass. Primer crimp and all, just like NATO spec stuff.

On the firing line, it had a reputation for being noticeably less accurate than traditional "Match" ammo.
Unless it was being fired from a M-21, M-24 or M40A1. The round works very well in the intended barrels. But I am speaking of the round and not the brass

CITADELGRAD87 NO, IT'S NOT