The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 18, 2001, 06:16 AM   #1
10mm

I have read about & heard about multiple lead balls (2 to 3) being loaded in 38 special & 357 magnum loads. Apparently, at one time Remington loaded a 2 ball load for the 38 and a 3 ball load for the 357. Does anyone have information and/or load data for this type of load? Anyone know of anyplace that still has the original Remington ammo for sale? Just a handloader looking for something new with which to play. Thanks.
Old May 18, 2001, 06:53 AM   #2
critter44

I have 'played' with some of these. A 000 buckshot is .357 and weighs about 70 grains. Two of these with 4 gr Bullseye seated in a 38 special case is just about right. Also, 3 #1 (if memory is correct) will just fit inside a Speer shotshell case for a .38. Same charge of bullseye. The two buckshot are surprisingly accurate (at short ranges!) impacting quite close together. The three #1 are less so but usually make a cute triangle in a target. MIGHT be good 'inside an apartment' personnel rounds---low penetration, good CLOSE range effect---BUT NOTE::::NOT FOR THE LAWYER SHY! Another cute 'antipersonnel' round. Take a speer shot capsule and fill it with a mix of shot (#7 to #12) mixed with 2-part epoxy! Use same bullseye charge. Shoots pretty accurately-one hole in; disintigrates in a gallon jug of water, etc. "Pore man's magsafe"! HA!

CAUTION: USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! AND YOU DIDN'T HEAR ANY OF THIS FROM ME! BE SAFE!!!!!!!!!
Old May 18, 2001, 02:44 PM   #3
Cougar

Multi-ball loads....

I had started a thread on this subject last year about this time. Do a search and see what turns up.

I was able to find a copy of Hanloading for Handgunners and they have a reloading section for these multi-ball loads.

BTW, both the .38Spl and .357Mag loadings from Remington used just two 000Buck balls in the cases. Similar velocities for both as well. I have a factory box of each.
Old May 18, 2001, 04:50 PM   #4
Bud Helms
Staff

Packrat has a pretty good scheme for loading these "gallery" loads.