The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old April 24, 2001, 09:33 AM   #1
bfj2

Taurus has made a 22 hornet. Does anyone know anything about that round and where it stands in power (compared to other handgun rounds)? I know the .22hornet is usually a rifle round and as far as I know it has not been made into a handgun in sometime. On a side note I just got there new 44mag and love it! Here is the web site if you don’t know what I am talking about: http://www.taurususa.com/hornet.html
Old April 24, 2001, 10:31 AM   #2
Robert the41MagFan

Go to Magnum Research's web site and to the news and articles page. They also make a 22 Hornet revolver.

http://www.magnumresearch.com

It also has the information on the Taurus Raging Hornet. It's an old Shooting Times article.

Robert
Old April 24, 2001, 04:01 PM   #3
bfj2

Thanks for the great info. The site is great. Here is some other info that I have gotten:

With the hornet, you're talking about power midway between the .22 magnum and the .223 remington. As far as muzzle energy, it will probably be somewhere in the high .357 vicinity. Keep in mind that that doesn't make it a deer killer! However, trajectory will far exceed that of any conventional straight wall pistol caliber. Bullets for the Hornet are made for two things-killing varmints up to coyote size and punching paper. Keep it in that arena and the Raging Hornet should be an awesome handgun.

Poodleshooter

I hunt groudhogs with a Ruger 77/22 in 22 Hornet. If there's a hog within 200 yds of me it's dead. I use a 40gr Vmax bullet over 12 grains of Hogdon's Lil' Gun. I get about 3000fps, .5" groups at 100 yds and utter devestation on groundhogs. The Hornet is a great little round but I'd rather sped my money on a good rifle that a Raging Hornet. It's a neat concept but it's not for me. I'm a rifleman.

Jaeger
Old April 25, 2001, 09:28 AM   #4
Intel6

Being a Hornet nut (7 rifles and 2 handguns) I was really tempted by the concetpt of the Raging Hornet but after seeing reports of its mediocore accuracy, I decided against it. In handguns, both my T/C and my Anschutz Exemplar will run circles around it for accuracy and since the Exemplar is magazine fed, quick secondary shots are no problem.

As I said, interesting concept, just too used to the accuracy I already have and don't wan't to take a step backwards. I just hope that the Raging Hornet doesn't give the Hornet cartridge a bad name for accuracy. I still see people who say the .22 Hornet isn't accurate. I hate to prove them wrong but my Anschutze's in .22 Hornet blows that right out of the water.

If you really want to play with the Hornet in a handgun, get yourself a T/C and enjoy, they are excellent shooters in .22 Hornet.