The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old April 23, 2001, 02:18 PM   #1
Kermit

Noticed something this weekend. I shoot ALOT better indoors than I do out doors. It was my 1st visit to this outdoor range (my buddy wanted to shoot his new SKS.) I put out my target to 25 yrds ( No big deal, that's the distance I shoot at regularly anyway.) Now, my shots are still in the black, but the groups have seemed to double in size...why is that?
Old April 23, 2001, 02:44 PM   #2
GunreviewWebmaster

Hmmmmmmmm

I shoot a lot better outdoors myself. I think it just depends on what you are use to or like better. I find that I am happier and more relaxed outdoors and it tends to show with my shooting.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...threadid=62961

GRW
Old April 23, 2001, 02:52 PM   #3
Dave R

Kermit, some factors that may open your groups outdoors:
-Was it windy?
-Did you have a good bench rest, or were you shooting in a different position, or using equipment that was unfamiliar?
-Was your visibility of the target good, or were you fighting glare, poor light, etc?

I shoot indoors and outdoors for different purposes. I shoot indoors to get the smallest groups possible--to see what the gun is capable of.

I shoot outdoors to see what will happen in a more realistic hunting situation--to see what I am capable of.

I learned from Art that it doesn't matter how accurate the gun is at the range. What matters is how well you can shoot in a realistic situation. Offhand, rapid, improvised rests, realistic positions, etc.
Old April 23, 2001, 02:56 PM   #4
Mal H
Staff

There are lots of factors to consider that might make a difference in how you shoot. (I'm assuming we can eliminate: different guns/calibers/ammo, different stance, and bench/no bench.) Some of the obvious ones are wind/no wind and distractions from other shooters. Or it could be the lighting conditions. In the relatively low light indoors, you might be able to see the sights and/or target better as opposed to the glare outdoors. Is the outdoor range perfectly level like I assume the indoor range is? Are you sure of the distances both indoors and out? A few yards won't make much difference, but greater differences will, and it's not that easy to compare yardages without a tape.
Old April 23, 2001, 04:39 PM   #5
johnwill

I'm exactly backwards, I shoot better outside. It's probably because I prefer to shoot outside, it's just too cold in the winter around here...
Old April 23, 2001, 07:49 PM   #6
beemerb

I think eyesight makes a big difference.Older eyes act much diffently between indoor and outdoor lights.
Old April 23, 2001, 08:37 PM   #7
Kermit

The range is up against a hillside and we were there in time to catch the morning winds cut through the range...it was windy and COLD (well, cold for SoCal .) Also noticed I was shooting slightly downhill. When I put my target out to the 50 yard line, I noticed I leveled out. Also, I did most of my shooting sitting down which took some getting use to. Normally stand, isosceles stance.
Thanks for the input. I didn't realized so many little things added up to so much. In that light, I'm pretty glad I did as well as I did.