The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 20, 2001, 04:53 PM   #1
GunreviewWebmaster

Three people (who sent in CZ 97B reviews) have brought it to my attention that there has been a tendency for the 97B to not feed hollowpoint ammunition well. While my CZ 97B has so far fed the only hollowpoint ammo I use (Fed H-S 230 grain), I want to at least bring this potential bug out in the open. Not all CZ 97Bs are having this problem, but due to the percentage of complaints regarding hollowpoint feeding troubles in the CZ 97B, in my opinion, this is at least worth mentioning. My advise: before buying a CZ 97B, test it out with hollowpoints if at all possible. So far, there has been no reports of problems feeding ball ammo. I will keep you all up to date as more reviews come in........

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...threadid=62961

GRW
Old April 20, 2001, 05:37 PM   #2
ddt4free

I've seen it too

A shooting buddy of mine was going to buy a CZ75b but found a 97b for just over $300 new. He bought it thinking he was getting a deal and I admit a little jealousy on my part. But that went away when we went shooting. Hell of an accurate and reliable gun with ball and semi wadcutters but would not feed a single winchester silver tip. 75b is the real deal. I haven't seen him in a while to see what course of action he is taking to remedy the situation. I hope CZ treats him well. -ddt
Old April 20, 2001, 05:42 PM   #3
GunreviewWebmaster

Quote:
Hell of an accurate and reliable gun with ball and semi wadcutters but would not feed a single winchester silver tip.
Agreed.

Until CZ corrects this possible "bug", I am only going to recommend the CZ 97B for competition or target shooting (it feeds ball perfectly and possibly semi-wadcutters). I say "possibly" semi-waddcutters because I have not tried them in my CZ 97 yet. But, a handgun that can't handle hollowpoints consistently is a poor choice for defensive purposes. Lets just hope that CZ looks into these reports seriously.

[Edited by GunreviewWebmaster on 04-20-2001 at 08:33 PM]

GRW
Old April 20, 2001, 07:18 PM   #4
VictorLouis

"reliable gun with ball and semi wadcutters but would not feed a single winchester silver tip."

I'm not doubting his experience: but, I just can't conceive of a gun that will feed SWC but NOT SilverTip. What's up with THAT?

GRW, you said that your's feeds the Hydra well. Have you had the opportunity to try ST yet in your gun?
Old April 20, 2001, 07:20 PM   #5
RikWriter

I had an EAA Witness 45 a while back that would feed the round-profile Remington +P rounds fine but would choke on the old flat-nosed HydraShoks and other flat-profile bullets. It was essentially the same gun as the CZ so maybe it's a design thing?
Old April 20, 2001, 07:27 PM   #6
GunreviewWebmaster

Quote:
GRW, you said that your's feeds the Hydra well. Have you had the opportunity to try ST yet in your gun?
Nope. Because I consider Fed H-S the best .45 hollowpoint, I have not tried any other hollowpoint types yet. I just have shot ball and H-S through my CZ 97B. Since I would never use ST as a defensive round (there is nothing wrong with ST, I just don't think it is as good as H-S), I never saw a need to try it in my CZ 97B. Of course, I will be willing to try it just to test it and give us an even broader sample size.

GRW
Old April 20, 2001, 07:38 PM   #7
Oris

My CZ-97B feeds hollowpoints just fine. I did have a little problem of another nature - end of slide stop spring slipped out of its pocket in a frame and caused the slide to
jam in a reward position. This took place within the first 25 shots fired through brand new pistol. It was easy to fix, although I was a bit surprised it happened, considering overall excellent quality of CZ-97B. After this
incident, more than 350 FMJ and HP rounds of different brands were fired w/o single problem.

Old April 20, 2001, 07:45 PM   #8
GunreviewWebmaster

Oris,

Thanks for responding. I am glad to hear that your CZ 97B is also working just fine (as mine is).

Others...

Keep chiming in. The more people that respond with their own experience the easier it will be to determine if this is a legitimate "bug" or just a "fluke" (due to small sample error). I am hoping it is a "fluke".

GRW
Old April 20, 2001, 08:46 PM   #9
Joe Klug

GRW,

As I've mentioned elsewhere, the only HP round I've tried in my 97 is the 230gr HydraShock which it fed well. All my other shooting with this pistol has been with FMJ. So far not one single problem to report.

I love my 97.

Joe
Old April 20, 2001, 09:29 PM   #10
Ironbarr

What is the price range of a new 97B?
Old April 20, 2001, 10:08 PM   #11
Mal H
Staff

Odd that this topic should come up at this time because just last week I was using my 97B with some 230 Hydrashock and was surprised to find that it was failing to feed properly quite often, but this was with one magazine only. Checking that mag against the others, I saw that the follower was a little lower than the others. The tips of the HS's were catching on the feed ramp. This doesn't happen with ball ammo in the bad mag, it just slides on up with no problems. I took a pair of non-serrated duckbill pliers and carefully bent the lips of the offending mag out a little until the follower matched the good mags. Now it has fed hundreds of rounds without one glitch.

Moral - check your mags to be sure they aren't the cause of any FTF's with your 97B (or any pistol for that matter).
Old April 20, 2001, 10:12 PM   #12
GunreviewWebmaster

Great suggestion Mal H. BTW, do you think that the Mec Gar magazines CZ uses on the 97B could be the real offender and not the gun? I would like feedback from those of you who have hollowpoint malfunctions in regard to if some magazines are worse than others......

GRW
Old April 20, 2001, 10:27 PM   #13
Mal H
Staff

In my case, I am absolutely positive it was the Mec-Gar mags fault and not the guns. I was surprised that I hadn't noticed the problem before. I think it is most likely bacause I don't practice a lot with the HS's since they are pricey, but I do try to use at least a mag or two every month or so. The odds are fairly good that I didn't use them in the bad mag before.

Moral No. 2 - check each and every magazine you have with your carry ammo. I know better and yet I didn't do that with the 97B. To be perfectly honest, it made me feel a little queasy because that mag had been in the gun loaded with 230 HS's as my night stand gun. It's like finding that the fire extinquisher you have hanging on the wall has been inoperative all the time when you thought it was charged and ready to go.

Moral No. 3 - go check your fire extinquishers.
Old April 24, 2001, 05:43 AM   #14
Peter M. Eick

I noticed that my 97B would not feed hollow point ammunition that is loaded anywhere near the max 1.275 COL. Load it short and it feeds fine. I just need to work up new reloads for the 97B exclusively. It does appear to have a tighter chamber then my Baer 45. The baer will feed anything, but the 97B will some times not lock into battery.
Old April 24, 2001, 05:52 AM   #15
WESHOOT2

I have an EAA 45 that doesn't feed ANYTHING reliably (but it's so darn accurate I couldn't part with it).

However......

When I put a 38 Super top on it never fails. Hmmmmmmmm.
Old August 3, 2002, 06:47 AM   #16
LetsFetz

Back on top with this one

I am currently researching about the 97B and posted some Q's at the CZ Forum, too ... I found this here thread very interesting and was wondering, whether there are any news regarding the feeding problems and/or the mags being the reason rather than the load!?

I might as well just add the Q's I posted in the CZ forum, hoping that somebody can help me with those, too:

• I have a 75B with Hogue wraparounds ... the added grip is not too bad on the 75B ... I really love those wraparounds and would like to have them for the 97B too, if I buy it ... how much, if any, do the Hogues add to the 97B grip? (which is quite big, as is)
• Is the 97B suitable for IDPA CDP Division? and if not, is it suitable for IDPA at all?
• How important of an issue is the full length guide rod and the 16 lbs spring?
• Is there any truth in the rumours about feeding problems of certain and/or most hollow point ammo?

... I really really want that pistol ... due to being old stock, it would be a real bargain ... and, it is the last one they have ... infact, so far it looks like it is the only one left in the entire country (Namibia) for that price ...

... I'd really appreciate your advise and help ...

cheers and beers
LetsFetz

... in case you are wondering about the Astra post in the Revolver Forum, which sounds similar regarding the bargain thing ... yep, I'm on a kinda mission at the moment ... I WANT MORE GUNS

Last edited by LetsFetz; August 3, 2002 at 07:12 AM.
Old August 3, 2002, 08:26 AM   #17
mbott

About the only thing I can add to this discussion is my observations with my CZ 97B. I have never had a failure to feed with any ammo. I've put about 250 rounds each of the 185gr SilverTips, 230gr Supreme SXTs, 230gr Hi-Shok JHPs and the 165gr Hydra-Shoks on top the countless 230gr ball. It has always functioned flawlessly.

--
Mike
Old August 3, 2002, 08:45 AM   #18
LetsFetz

mbott: what year of make is your 97B ... I have read somewhere (I read so much about'em lately, that I'm loosing track), that the earlier models do better ...
Old August 3, 2002, 09:18 AM   #19
mbott

LetsFetz,

It's a '98.

--
Mike
Old August 3, 2002, 09:55 AM   #20
Hard Ball

I got my CZ97B in late 1998. It is boringly reliable with ball and hollow points. No malfunctions in approximately 4,000 rounds. It is one of my favorite pistols.
Old August 3, 2002, 10:56 AM   #21
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

GunreviewWebmaster - Thanks for the Alert... but your a bit late. This is old news. CZForums.com has a 97B forum that has been discussing this for some time now. Somethings can improve this situation, such as a heavier recoild Spring.
Talking to Mike, the head gunsmith in charge at CZ-USA, he says a simple throating and polishing will fix it.
The some do, some don't thing I think depends greatly on the specific load.
I have a quantity of Triton loads. One is a downloaded formula for 3Gun matches and the other is the "Hi-Vel" load. They are using the same bullets. The Hi-Vels are not liked at all by my 97b, but the other rounds do just fine. Probably has something to do with the slide velocity.
I suspect that a set of extra power magazine springs from Wolff would fix that... get the next round in line for the chamber before the slide come back. At least that looks like the issue in some of my guns failures.

With other rounds, this gun is perfectly reliable - and is simply the most accurate handgun I have ever owned. Everyone that has shot it - and I mean EVERYONE with out exception has said how great the trigger is.
Super accuracy, great trigger, comfortable grip... I can deal with it being picky about ammo. It's finicky like a race car about it's fuel... and that's fine. It's acceptable because when you fill it with the right fuel, it performs like an F-1 car.
My full review:
http://www.madogre.com/Interviews/CZ97B_Review.htm
This isnt a GI type fighting gun... but it's accuracy is easily as good as guns costing 1,500 or more. All from a gun that costs what, 450?
I think GunreviewWebmaster is cutting the 97B short. A 450 dollar gun that with 150 bucks worth of work can spank a 1,500 dollar... or can take it on AS IS with the right ammo? It's money well spent. Seriously well spent. I traded off a 1911 for mine, and while I miss the Springfield, I'm not looking back.
Old August 3, 2002, 11:09 AM   #22
bullet44

The cz"s I own have tight chambers, I like
this because I believe it to be one reason of
very good accuracy. However OAL is
important any time but very much so with
tight chambers.
Another factor is crimp, I use a lee factory
crimp when loading for my 75B.

Using factory ammo HP and if it jams going
into chamber may just need ramp polishing.
After entering chamber and fails to lock up
I would think tight chamber.

Cz told me they would polish chamber on
my 75b but the thought of losing that great
accuracy I just could not do it.

Many autos dont like HP's usually it's a
matter of different brand ammo or some
minor work.
Old August 3, 2002, 11:10 AM   #23
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Mal is right about the mags.
Out of 5 I had 2 that were questionable.
Open them up and check the bottom edges of the followers. My 2 questionable mags had some extra plastic hanging on them from the molding process. I think these little bits of plastic caused some extra friction and binding inside under load. After I trimmed off that plastic, those mags are working just fine... but I still plan on swapping for the extra power mag springs.
Old August 3, 2002, 11:38 AM   #24
LetsFetz

bullet44: ... what would be the best/right/too much OAL?

George 1: ... ehh, you the one who's late ... this thread is much older than the one in the CZ Forum ...

George 2: ... I'm not that fit with gun terms, yet ... I suppose the follower is the red (in the 75B) plastic thingy sitting on top of the spring and pushing the ammo upwards ... ...

Otherwise: ... anything on the IDPA, Hogue, guide rod and spring Q's ???

... thanx a lot so far ...

Last edited by LetsFetz; August 3, 2002 at 02:16 PM.
Old August 3, 2002, 12:06 PM   #25
Mal H
Staff

Pssst, George. Look at the date of the first post.