The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 18, 2001, 01:02 AM   #1
Kframe

Hey all,
I've heard people mention the "powder check feature" on some of their Dillon's.
What exactly is this?
Does the Square Deal B have it?

Is this different/better than just peeking into each case before placing the bullet?

Thanks, -Kframe
Old April 18, 2001, 10:22 AM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

It's essentially a small plate that fits into the powder measure.

the plate has a stem on it that sticks through the top of the measure.

As the powder level goes down, the plate drops along with it.

When the powder level reaches a certain level, the stem activates a buzzer, which lets you know that it's time to add powder to the hopper.

There is, I think, a similar device for use on the primer feed tubes.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 18, 2001, 11:34 AM   #3
Johnny Guest
Moderator Emeritus

Powder Check?

Isn't there also a device you can add on the 650 and 1050 to let you know if you have a case get past a certain point without any powder charge in it? This takes an extra station, though, and the SDB and the 550B have "only" four stations.

Best,
Johnny

Blog: Expert Witness
Old April 18, 2001, 05:28 PM   #4
Kframe

Johnny, I think that's what I've heard about.
But, with four stations, wouldn't that be decapper/sizer, expander/powder fill, powder check, seater/crimper?

Or do I have it wrong?

-Kframe
Old April 18, 2001, 06:13 PM   #5
blades67

A powder check die measures the volume of powder in a case and sounds an alarm if the volume is over or under a preset level. The powder check die requires an extra station so only the 650 and 1050 machines can use them. Mike Irwin was describing the low powder sensor.

I hunt, therefore I am.
Old April 18, 2001, 08:19 PM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

OH DUH! :0

Cripes. Sorry about that. I saw powder check and my mind immediately thought low powder.

Forgive me, I'm getting old. I'll be 36 soon...

Old April 19, 2001, 10:31 PM   #7
Johnny Guest
Moderator Emeritus

Low Powder Alarm vice Empty Case Sensor

I WAS WRONG. Sorry.

Just got my new Blue Press, the Dillon catalog. I looked through it, cover to cover, twice. Gotta admit, I was in error, and Mike Irwin was correct on both counts. (In his first post on the subject. Actually, Mike, you were wrong when you admitted you were wrong before. Because you weren't. At that time. Sorry - - - )

In the Dillon products, there is an optional feature that sounds off when the reservoir of the powder measure gets down to about 1000 grains of powder. There is also a low PRIMER alarm, standard equipment on all Dillon progressive presses, which lets you know when there are only three to six primers left in the magazine.

What I wrote,
Isn't there also a device you can add on the 650 and 1050 to let you know if you have a case get past a certain point without any powder charge in it?
was correct, except not in the Dillon. I now believe I was thinking of the old Star progressive press. But I sure wouldn't bet money on that recollection.

Kframe was right about needing an extra station for an empty case sensor, as was I. And it wouldn't surprise me if Mike Dillon and staff came up with such for the presses with MORE THAN FOUR STATIONS.

And, blades67, you were correct, and mistaken, too, in exactly the same manner as I was.

I think we were mostly correct in thinking that the low powder sensor has to do with powder measure. I, for one, will now elect to term the [i]OTHER[/b] appliance an empty case sensor. Until I see a manufacturer call it something else.

Guys, I apologize for contributing to the confusion. I am embarrassed, but I'll live through it.

Best,
Johnny

Old April 20, 2001, 01:56 AM   #8
blades67

No Johnny, I was not mistaken. If you look on page 25 of the April 2001 Blue Press you will see inset photo C (left column, third of the way down from the top) shows a Powder Check, item number A35-21044, 55.95$ each/Three or more, 47.56$ each. Inset photo Q (right column, bottom of the page) shows a Low Powder Sensor, item number A35-16306, 33.95$. Inset photo Q also shows the low primer sensor to the right of the low powder sensor. You can also find the low powder sensor here and powder check die here.

Taken from the Dillon web page above:

"The XL 650 Powder Check is designed to catch over- or under-thrown powder charges before the cartridge is sealed."

I hunt, therefore I am.
Old April 20, 2001, 08:36 AM   #9
Mike Irwin
Staff

I'M SO CONFUSED!!!!!!!!!

Can't we all just be "sort of" right?

Old April 20, 2001, 10:39 AM   #10
Johnny Guest
Moderator Emeritus

Correction to my earlier correction. Additional mea culpa.

Mike--
I'd happily settle for that. I've already stepped up and admitted I was kinda wrong. Now I stand corrected yet again---

blades67 has REALLY done his research, and has discovered the very item I that thought I was writing about. And, in fact, it is true--the powder check die DOES ensure that there's powder in the case. And, to use this nifty little accessory DOES INDEED require a dedicated station in the tool head, so it cannot be used in the SDB and the 550B.

Soooooo--we are all kinda right in this discussion, but, really, blades67 is righter than the rest of us.

blades67, I am mildly miffed at myownself, and only myself. Thanks for catching this and setting the record straight.

Best to all,
Johnny

Old April 20, 2001, 06:31 PM   #11
blades67

The powder check die is the reason I think about getting the XL650 even though the RL550B would do everything else I needed, cheaper and in a smaller space.

I hunt, therefore I am.
Old April 20, 2001, 08:37 PM   #12
WalterGAII

RCBS makes both a powder check die and a lockout die. The lockout die is great for avoiding squibs or double-charges in handgun ammo.