The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 16, 2001, 11:20 PM   #1
old_yout

I understand these pistols were made with a different kind of steel that might not take well to modern materials.
So what would I be able to do and what should I absolutely not do to this weapon?

I'd wanted to put a stainless steel slide on it, though I get the impression that that might not be a good idea. I'd wanted to replace the trigger with something more spiffy and maybe a new hammer. New mainspring housing.
In time I thought I'd add a new beavertail safety and maybe an extended thumb safety. And maybe a bevelled mag well.

I realise that the total cost with gunsmithing would probably cost three times what I paid for the thing, but it'd be spread out over many years.

So how much of that is prudent? Is there anything that might be a good idea to change, add or replace?

Anything else I should know?

Thanks a lot

[Edited by old_yout on 04-17-2001 at 02:03 AM]
Old April 17, 2001, 01:17 AM   #2
old_yout

I've been looking around

any thoughts on:

the Wilson products Dwyer "Group Gripper" and the Series Drop-In Beavertail Safety High Ride Style

Are these as drop-in as they claim? Or should I expect to do a little filing down?
Old April 17, 2001, 01:32 AM   #3
Romulus

I've read mixed reviews about the group gripper. I had one installed in the Colt 1991A1 I gave my dad, and it shoots no better than my out-of-box Springfield 1911A1...

I've seen a few old Ballester Molina clones, they're quite beautiful...may not have any particular value, but they are historical pieces, I would keep them as original as possible...have a barrel fit, along with a bushing, and presto, you have a dependable historical piece...

Just what I would do
Old April 17, 2001, 07:19 AM   #4
Jim V

The M-27's I have seen are well made, solid pistols. I would think you will not have any trouble making any changes you want. The steels will handle them unles you decide to make some conversion that fires a .50BMG round. LOL

The Gorup Gripper should be drop in. You will have to have the G/S leg fit to get the safety to work correctly.
Old April 17, 2001, 08:09 AM   #5
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Old_Yout, you may have to do a little fitting with the new barrel link in order to allow the pistol to go fully into battery. The group gripper will help a little but without the addition of a properly fit barrel bushing you won't see the full advantage of it. Together they make a world of difference. And as Jim said you will probably have to do a little fitting to the safety's finger. George
Old April 17, 2001, 12:10 PM   #6
Romulus

Hello George

Good point about fitting the barrel bushing when installing a group gripper, that's why I never got full benefits, I guess. I might add that the group gripper installed in the 1991A1 I gave my father had to have some stoning done to that funny notched-link thing, i.e. it wasn't a drop-in.

As far as other add-ons, let's be aesthetic...I truly believe these pieces of history loose their charm as they are vulgarized with modern bells and whistles

Just my opinion