The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 29, 2001, 05:34 AM   #1
Mike Kilo Niner

In considering which bolt-action hunting rifle to "buy, scope and use forever" I've decided what I'm looking for is a lightweight, compact rifle in .308 Win with controlled round feeding (CRF). The Mod. 70 Classic Compact seems more or less ideal, but I can't find mention of a left-handed version on their web-page.

Any ideas?
with oxygen.
-- Kurt Vonnegut
Old March 29, 2001, 08:45 AM   #2
Tom Matiska

A lefty model is there but you have to do a lot of clicking to stumble across it. Click again and check the Model 70 Classic Sporter LT.

http://www.winchester-guns.com/prodi...t/70sprtlt.htm

Tom
Old March 29, 2001, 12:09 PM   #3
Corey

Ruger also makes a left handed bolt action, I know 'cause I am a south paw also. I have been looking at a rifle for my father and found that the Ruger M77 MKII standard is lighter than the Winchester M70 featherweight by 1/4 to 1/2 pound. I do not know if you are a Ruger fan or not, but I have a 10/22, a MKI and a MKII and I have nothing but good things to say about them. If I buy a lightweight rifle anytime soon, it will be a Ruger.
Old March 29, 2001, 12:43 PM   #4
Mike Kilo Niner

Thanks for the quick responses, gents. Those are both good options, but unavailable in .308 Win. .30-'06 would certainly do the job, but what I want is a short-action, lightweight rifle.

Any other brands I should consider? I really don't have the money to get a smith to build me a custom rifle, but I do want something to keep forever and be proud of.

The quest continues...
Old March 29, 2001, 01:06 PM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

Check the Remington page for left-handed options.

It looks like that in a short action there's only the 700 VS availble, though...

http://www.remington.com/firearms/lh_yth/lefthand.htm

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 30, 2001, 09:38 AM   #6
Tom Matiska

The Win and Rem medium action in a .308 is 1/2 inch shorter than their long 3006 action. If short and light is your goal, barrel length and synthetic stocks may deserve more consideration.

From what I could find on the lefty models, Rem's 22" barel looks like the shortest on the market, and Ramline offers synthetic stocks for both Rem and Ruger, but not the Win lefty.

Tom
Old March 30, 2001, 11:23 AM   #7
RON in PA

Savage also.
Old March 30, 2001, 07:32 PM   #8
alan

Winchester claims to make left handed rifles these days, not sure as to which models/calibers. Actual availability could be a problem, depending on local outlets in your location, as well as caliber/models

Other left handed makes are Savage, Remington, Weatherby and maybe Mauser. Also, there are some "custom" makers claiming recreations of Modrel 98 actions and Magnum Mauser actions, and I've seen mention of left hand as an option. They are expensive, I would think.

As to the so-called "controlled feed" as opposed to push feed, I shot Model 70's in National Match Course competition for years, mine were all "push feed", never had a problem with any, both 30-06 and 308. I also shot left handed, which with IRON SIGHTS, presented no problem at all. Of course, the Model 70's I had were Target Model, about 10 to 11 pounds, which I guess would not be called "light weight rifles". They were pleasant to shoot however, especially in a 1000 point aggregate match, that's 100 shots for record plus sighters.