The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 24, 2001, 06:27 AM   #1
JL Hunnicutt

I am planning to purchase a turret press in the near future and my choices are the Lyman T-Mag II or the recently introduced RCBS. Which is the better of the two? I read a review of the RCBS at Realguns.com and the reviewer did not speak too highly of the shuttle priming system on the RCBS. What are the pros & cons of these presses? Will the Lyman ram accept RCBS & Lee shellholders? Thanks for the info.
Old March 24, 2001, 08:38 AM   #2
dick w. holliday

shell holders are generally interchangeable-i've got a lyman orange crusher and i use RCBS and Lee shellholders in it. i think the jury is still out on the RCBS strip loading thing. i've never seen it nor do i know anyone who has anything with one. i really want the new RCBS progressive (Just because i don't have one) it comes standard with the strip system, and they sell a tube adapter for it. Both RCBS and Lyman have helped me in times or need so i can say that both would be top notch...Dick
Old March 24, 2001, 08:24 PM   #3
Romulus

I've been looking at turrets, and I've narrowed it down to Lyman and Redding...the latter a beast. Just going by word of mouth...
Old March 25, 2001, 12:12 AM   #4
Brooks

Turret Press

I would also put the Dillon AT500 for about $195 on your short list as it can be upgraded to the 550B if you would be so inclined.

I just loaded my first 50 rnds. of .45 cal. on my brand new RCBS Pro 2000. The APS primer system seems to work fine. With 5 stations and the factory crimp die in #5, it should
be fast. I'll report after I work with it more.

Old March 25, 2001, 10:40 AM   #5
WESHOOT2

Redding.
Old March 25, 2001, 10:42 AM   #6
WESHOOT2

Suggest priming all cases using RCBS hand-held priming tool w/detontation slider. It's called "RCBS Hand Priming Tool".
Old March 26, 2001, 02:44 PM   #7
MADISON

Lyman v RCBS?

I have an RCBS Rock Chucker; Lyman Spart-T, and 2 Lyman T-Mags. The wife has 4 Lyamn T-Mags, she uses. I gues we are for the Lyman T-Mag.

Most [I have yet to see one that is not] all of the "push in the slot shell holders are compatable. Lee, RCBS. Lyman, and Redding are all interchangable.
Old March 26, 2001, 04:21 PM   #8
Steve Smith

After handling the various turrets, I liked the Lyman the best. The Redding certainly was stout, but methinks it might be overkill? Never the less, the Lyman T-Mag seems like a great press...I have several friends who have one, and they're all very happy with them. Some, however, wish they had spent a little more and bought a Dillon AT, so that they could upgrade to a progressive later. This depends on you...do you ever plan onreloading enough to jsutify the progressive? If not, a turret will probably fit the bill perfectly. The prices at Natchez and Midway for the Lyman T-Mag II are great right now (I know it was on sale at Natchez last month)
Old March 26, 2001, 07:23 PM   #9
Phil

Natchez doesn't have any more T-Mag expert kits in stock. I know because I bought the last one last Friday. The kit was on sale for $174.94 which seemed like a good price. I don't know how long a back order would take, but you could always ask. Their webpage lists the T-mag press alone for $109.03 and indicates they have 7 in stock.
Old March 26, 2001, 09:43 PM   #10
Steve Smith

Midway will price match with Natchez...you may be able to get Midway to give you the good price even though Natchez is out right now.
Old March 27, 2001, 09:03 PM   #11
Adventurer_96

Rockchucker

Madison:

How do you like the press? I'm going to start reloading mainly handgun stuff in the near future, and I have a chance to get a rockchucker minus dies for $50. It's from a good source, the same guy who sold me my Mec Grabber, but I just don't know if it would be a good starter press which could still put out a good amount of shells with practice.