The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 23, 2001, 08:50 PM   #1
MSPHUNTER

Glock 23 compensated or noncompensated, that is the question? Is a glock 23c justifiable over a 23? Is there any pros or cons to getting a compensation on a gun.
Old March 23, 2001, 08:55 PM   #2
MSPHUNTER

Glock Night Sights

Does anyone manufacture night sights that resemble the U sight picture, but with tritium. And how good are they, comparable to others.
Old March 23, 2001, 09:11 PM   #3
Russell92

if there's even the slightest possibility that you'll use the Glock for defense don't get the compensated model. the flash could momentarily blind you while shooting in low light and you could burn yourself if you shoot from a retention position. also the front sight dot will turn black after just a few rounds and you won't be able to see the tritium while shooting after you get the night sights. IMO the only thing the C model glocks are good for is competition. the G23 doesn't have that much recoil that it's uncontrolable without porting.

PT and MMC both make night sights with a U type rear sight similar to the stock glock sights. the MMC's rear sights are adjustable and the PT aren't.
Old March 23, 2001, 10:46 PM   #4
Tecolote

The Compensated Story

I can't add more to this topic to what John Hollister posted at http://www.gunspot.com I won't even pretend to match his excellent post, so I've pasted it here:

"My agency went to Compensated Glock pistols approximately a year and a half ago. We use G17Cs, G19Cs and also use G26s. Some officers have been carrying their own "C" models since thier introduction.
We have hundreds of thousands of rounds fired through "C" pistols (40+K through my G19C alone) with no injuries at all related to the ports.

(Imagine my surprise when right after the article on my agency hit the stands there were Internet rumors of one of our officers being blinded by a piece of bullet jacket coming through a port. I still don't know where that one came from, but I can assure you, it was completely baseless and unfounded.)

The retention position we've been teaching for years adapted very well to the "C" guns. We call it the "Speed Cant".

In the "Speed Cant", the pistol is canted outboard at a 45 degree to 90 degree angle. The reason for this was that the operators grip is much stronger canted then straight up and down, reducing "limp wristing". Secondly the slide operated on the outside of the arm. This kept things like shirts, coats, rain gear, mike cords, breasts, love handles, ect from interfering with slide speed. Further reducing the chances of shooter induced malfunctions.

As it turned out, canting the pistol in this manner also canted the ports away from the shooter.

We went from having five or six problem shooters a training, to a grand total of one Officer that didn't qualify first time out for the entire year! Turns out that Officer is a tad "Pee Shy" and had problems shooting with the group. Given a chance to re shoot the next day, that officer Aced the qualification the required two times straight.

As to the flash issue. Do the ported pistol have muzzle flash? Sure. However, what is not taken into account is exactly what ammunition are you judging the pistol on? In most cases I have tracked down with exaggerated muzzle flash has been factory promotional loads aka range ammunition or ball ammo. During your testing, might I suggest you judge the muzzle flash using duty type ammunition. All but one manufacturer I am aware of uses flash retardants in their duty/defensive ammunition.

Does flash occur even with flash retardants? Again, of course it does. but what we found was that what flash there was, was above the sight plane and did not interfere with the shooters ability to make follow up shots and certainly did not "blind" the shooter.

You wanna see flash? Drag out your old revolver and light off a couple of old duty rounds. Talk about day and night difference.

If your agency is going to test "C" pistols, test them fairly. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Remember, there was a time, not so long ago, when the use of auto pistols was scowled upon for Law Enforcement. Hell for that matter, the use of Hollow Point ammunition. Today most officers would think a department daft if they attempted to issue revolvers or lead round nose ammunition for duty use.

For further information, there was an article done on our agencies transition to "C" guns printed in the 2/2000 issue of "Guns and Weapons for Law Enforcement".

The last thing I will leave you with was a criticism that we received after going to "C" guns.

"You can't give Cops ported pistols! Those are for competition!"

The answer given was "If an Officer has to utilize Deadly Force to fight for his life or the lives of others . . . . what bigger competition is there?"

Respectfully,

John Hollister"
Old March 24, 2001, 06:37 AM   #5
AndABeer

if you put night sights on a C model, the debris from the ports will quickly darken the front sight insert and it is quite a pain getting it clean again, MMC offers a sight configuration like what you want

http://www.mmcsight.com
Old March 24, 2001, 06:55 AM   #6
vyper005

Just picked up my 23 w/Meps...

Usually the non comp guns are more accurate plus...who wants a face full of powder...
Old March 24, 2001, 12:03 PM   #7
IronBalls

I love my 23c. Ive got about 10 handguns, and choose the 23c for my under the bed gun- the one id reach for first. A few thousand rounds through it, no jam yet- lots of reloads bought from the shooting range- no problems. Its outfitted with Tritium (which dont get blacked out at range sessions with an average of 300 rounds each time). Darken some, yes, but a quick wipe keeps em functional. In a Home Defense role, you wont see enough shots to screw up your sight picture at all (2 clips is unnoticeable in its blackening effect on the front sight). As far as flash signiture, i use Hydrashok ammo and am not generally worried about that any more- as the flash retardants are quite effective.
My 23c is also outfitted with the M3 light, and a laser guide rod- and its a handy little compact brick of pain for any intruders i would ever run into.
As for the 'uncontrollable' without the ports. LOL- maybe for you budd. Ive shot the baby glock in .40 without ports and did well with it. Im amazeingly accurate with my 23c (but im sure anyone could learn to manage without ports if need be, without loosing control of ones sidearm and without shooting groups the size of Texas)=)
Be happy, you have a great gun, just enjoy it- and ignore the neigh sayers. Ive 'had' just about every alternative choice out there, and ill take my G23c over all of them for HD (except for maybe my Kimber Custom Royal with 230grain hydrashoks, and thats just because it will be less ear shattering to shoot in my hallway if need be.)
Old March 25, 2001, 01:19 PM   #8
Archer1440

Here's what I recently posted about this subject at Gunspot.

On the second week of February this year, I personally witnessed a fire which started in a commercial indoor range in Salt Lake City, Utah when a female student of a CCW course fired her qualification rounds with her ported Glock. I did not note the caliber or load, but it was a commercial load such as WIN USA or Fed American Eagle.

The indoor range had earlier in the evening (during the class) swept the floor downrange- unknown to the instructor there was a big pile of sweepings in the corner out of sight just past the barricade, 1/2 meter downrange from the shooter.

The student was firing over this sizable pile of sweepings when hot matter from the comp port-you could see the sparks- ignited the pile after the third shot.

A fairly large group of guys were watching, because the girl was OK looking and we hadn't seen one of the comped Glocks firing before. (Girls with Glocks seem to trigger some deep-seated brain thing in us guys I think, but I digress...)

3-foot green and yellow flames began erupting from the floor in front of her.

(concrete structure, no real danger, lots of smoke).

Apparently the sweepings had their fair share of unburnt powder and other stuff in the pile (bits of paper from targets, and the green flames were probably from copper jacket bits).

This was thought to have ignited because of the extra particles from the comped Glock, as 7 or 8 other students had shot from the same position with no problem just moments before.

The fire was quickly controlled with a dry chemical extinguisher.

Food for thought.
Old March 25, 2001, 04:26 PM   #9
CastleBravo

What a bunch of nervious nellies we have here. Have you people actually FIRED A PORTED GLOCK before spreading the Rumor Du Jour?

1. Muzzle flash. Use decent ammo, becomes non-issue. Winchester Silvertip 175gr 10mm rounds don't have that much flash, how much trouble do you think anything decent in .40S&W will cause? Ports don't magically create brighter muzzle flash, they just redirect it.

2. Set yourself on fire. Don't aim gas ports at self, becomes non-issue. Does anyone actually know of somebody trying to defend themselves with a C-model Glock, only to set themselves on fire instead? I'm waiting... guess not.

3. Sight turns black. Wipe front sight off every 500 rounds, becomes non-issue.

4. Don't fire near piles of unburned gunpowder. Um... this one is kind of tough. You've got me there. I'd better sweep up all the high explosive residue around my house before I get in a gunfight.

Oh, and of course a higher controlable rate of fire isn't desireable for a self-defense weapon

Give me a freakin' break.

C.B.
Old March 25, 2001, 11:18 PM   #10
Archer1440

Well, I suppose the biggest problem is that picture Glock put in the annual with the 6" flames erupting from the ports like mini-Mt. St. Helens...
Old March 25, 2001, 11:23 PM   #11
Lightsped

I just recently bought a G19c. I took it to the range the other day and tested it out. Yep, I agree, the whole scare regarding the ported Glocks is waaaay overdone. The porting works fine on my Glock and is not a problem at all. I even turned the lights down on my particular lane at the range and wasn't "blinded" as many people have suggested.....
Old March 26, 2001, 02:16 PM   #12
gringo5

I've shot thousands of rounds thru my 19-C at the range and during outdoor tactical night shoots. I have not had any trouble with dirty sites or muzzle flash that affected my shooting.
Old March 26, 2001, 04:34 PM   #13
CastleBravo

Russell92, Where Are You...???

C.B.
Old March 26, 2001, 04:45 PM   #14
Ben

I've shot several .40's and I feel that MOST of them could have BENEFITED from a ported barrel. Therefore, one of my favorite pistols is the Glock 23C. I'll eventually get one, but right now I don't have the $ I'm currently accepting donations though.

So get the 23C, holds 13+1, concealable, and shoots a bit softer than a 23. I think it looks better too. You have to admit that looks count for SOMETHING. In the end, get what you WANT.

Ben
Old September 28, 2009, 06:43 PM   #15
DDAVANA

Glock 23C experience

I wanted to make a comment because (1) I see comments from people who apparently have NOT fired this weapon, and (2) my experience differs from some posters.

I have had a Glock 22 .40 for several months, as a concealed carry. While it its a teeney bit larger than I would like, I purchased a Glock 23C. My purchase was based on two comments from "pros". They indicated that the Glock 23C has LESS kick than the Glock 22, and is an "easier" carry, versus the Glock 22.

To be clear, I LOVE my Glock 22. As I said above, I have owned it, purchased new, several months ago. I average 150 rounds a week through the Glock 22.

Now, to the Glock 23C. After I fired the first round, I said, "Holy S--t". What I EXPERIENCED was astounding! And got BETTER as the shooting session proceeded. The first pull on the trigger gave me a visual flash of fire through the portals. The second pull was less of a flash, and by the time I had gone half way through the 13-round clip, the flash was NOT any distraction.

The ACCURACY was uncanny. I couldn't believe how EFFORTLESSLY it was to hold, aim, and shoot this Glock 23C.

I am a couple months from becoming 69 years old. I don't have "strong" hands, arms. Yet, compared to the Glock 22, the Glock 23C is a picnic!

If anyone out there is contemplating this pistol, do yourself a favor, try it! You'l like it!

PS I haven't shot it at night, nor have I shot it close to my body, (comments have been made about those situations). As for my experience, in a indoor range, its a KEEPER! Oh, by the way, the Glock 23C is NOT louder than the Glock 22.
Old September 28, 2009, 08:19 PM   #16
headbangerJD

pass on the compensator

The GLOCK 23 is steadily becoming my favorite pistol. It's easily concealed in something as light as just shorts and a baggy t-shirt and still holds 14 rounds of 40s&w. Small pistol with high capacity. A compensator is unnecessary unless you are going to be using it for competition shoothing. If you don't like the recoil just get a G19, otherwise a compensator does more harm than good, especially if you are going to be using it as a concealed carry gun.
Old October 15, 2009, 04:42 PM   #17
cfaber

Hi Guys,

I've been trolling this forum for a while and finally decided to comment here.

I purchased a glock 23c from the local gun show here a few months ago and have been shooting it quiet a bit. Probably have around 400 rounds through it already of various types of ammo (except wolf).

That said, in my experience this thing is a dream to shoot. I group better, and am able to stay on target when shooting.

Regarding the muzzle flash - this is not an issue, anyone concerned should look at the many 23C videos on youtube showing the gun firing at night.

Regarding blacking of the front sight - The first two boxes of blazer reloads I received (free with the gun) quickly darkened the front 2 or 3 clips in. A 1 second wipe with my finger on the sight cleared it right away with no further problems. After burning through the reloads and moving on to more quality ammo, I've sessioned at the range putting about 200+ rounds through it with no blackening of the front sight so far.

As I plan to use this gun for competition shooting I've modified a few things on it so far which have vastly improved my ability to shoot tighter groups.

1) $0.25 trigger job (basically polishing the linkage) - which helps a ton with the stamped out glock parts.
2) 3.5lbs trigger pull connector

3) THE tungsten guide rod and 18lbs recoil spring

4) Jentra in the handle to keep gunk out.

Items 2 and 3 are NOT recommended for a CC weapon, however if you're basically only range shooting this thing, I've found the above to make a large different in my ability to fire quickly and still group well.

For kicks I should mention that I'm having a set of meprolight night sights put on this now. We'll see if I have any problems with blackening of the front site.
Old October 15, 2009, 06:54 PM   #18
IdahoG36

I would skip the 23c in favor of a a regular 23. The recoil isn't bad at all with a GLOCK 23, and if it's compensated, and you have to use it for SD in a dark environment, you are headed for trouble.
Beretta PX4 Storm INOX 9mm, Beretta Nano 9mm, Sig Trailside .22lr, Springfield XDm 4.5 .45, Ruger LCP .380, 20"Armalite/Rock River AR15, Remington 870 Tactical Magpul, Swiss K31 7.5X55, Ruger 10/22 50th anniversary design contest rifle
Old October 16, 2009, 10:50 AM   #19
cfaber

Quote:
I would skip the 23c in favor of a a regular 23. The recoil isn't bad at all with a GLOCK 23, and if it's compensated, and you have to use it for SD in a dark environment, you are headed for trouble.
Again, this is nonsense, here you go: a 22C shooting at night http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOm8FNk52lA

Clearly a blinding flash..
Old October 16, 2009, 11:23 AM   #20
David the Gnome

This thread is a few months shy of being 9 years old.... wow.
Old October 16, 2009, 11:51 AM   #21
Crapulence

I guess its time to bring out the dead for Halloween.

Although the profile of the flash would be different and probably a bit larger wouldn't the night time effect be close to the same since you will have a pretty bright flash coming out of the muzzle anyway? The times I have shot larger calibers at night with non compensated guns left me seeing some spots. You could argue that you should never pack a revolver as a CCW since the gas leakage between the cylinder and barrel will blind you.
Old October 16, 2009, 12:04 PM   #22
cfaber

Well I mean, considering the 23 is just the shorty 22, I would think the profile would be the same. The guns are nearly identical with the 23 having a slightly shorter barrel. Shooting many rounds though mine vs. my uncles p226 9mm the flash coming from both is nearly identical, however the recoil on the 23c is far less.

Again though, IMHO, I think this nonsense about compensated weapons blinding the shooter at night is just nonsense.